UFC have won the DJ/Askren trade by a country mile

IGotAHugePeckah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1) Got rid of a dominant fighter who doesn't sell for a mediocre one who DOES sell. Askren has also now given HUGE shine to Masivdal, which has allowed the UFC to turn a decent fighter in Jorge into a bonafide main event draw. UFC 244's success will be due in large part to Askren eating that knee, as well as the ripple effects going from that into the future.

2) With Askren looking like hot garbage in the UFC, it perpetuates the public perception that the UFC is THE big leagues, where a guy who dominated and became champ in several rival orgs, going undefeated for 10 years, can't even compete with the contenders. Meanwhile their castaway Mighty Mouse is dominating in One FC.

Great trade from the UFC's perspective.

Good trade

5TeoXls.png

I'd say DJ won the trade. He makes more money fighting in a better organization that respects his abilities.

I think they both won on that trade

Midget mouse seems to be thriving over there

And Askren made a bunch of money. Everybody won the trade. Askren lost the fights.

Got rid of a dominant fighter who has just started to lose from a lackluster division that don't sell PPVs.
....for a fighter...
in the deepest, most well-rounded, best sellable division in the UFC who stormed top 10 from his first outing.

We all knew UFC is the best mma organization prior to the exchange. We know it now.

Mutual benefit. DJ is getting paid more, is fighting for promotion that actually respects him and doesn't have to deal with Dana or the criticism for not being any kind of a draw in the US.

We all knew UFC is the best mma organization prior to the exchange. We know it now.

Of course it's the organization with the best fighters in general and the deepest talent pool. Doesn't mean other organizations don't have good fighters. Gaethje, Shlemenko, Bader, Horiguchi, etc.

I'ma gonna get in between... Everybody won.

- DJ's now getting more money and about the same viewership (0)
- Askren is making money as he moved to the main league + headlined cards up until now.
- UFC now looks one (or more) step ahead of other promos.
- The fans won enormously as we got rid of DJ + got a big time laugh due to Askren defeats.

Of course it's the organization with the best fighters in general and the deepest talent pool. Doesn't mean other organizations don't have good fighters. Gaethje, Shlemenko, Bader, Horiguchi, etc.
This is exactly it. UFC has more top level fighters than any other org but that doesn't mean other orgs don't have top level fighters.

Mutual benefit. DJ is getting paid more, is fighting for promotion that actually respects him and doesn't have to deal with Dana or the criticism for not being any kind of a draw in the US.
how do you know DJ makes more money now overall?? unless they show their paper, it's all talk.
my guess is i bet DJ made more money while in UFC overall with far more product endorsemenet tv commercial etc.
oneFC might pay him little more but I highly doubt DJ market value has gone up in oneFC.

is mighty mouse really making more money in one? i find that hard to believe, though possible.

It was a move that both organisations and fighters won.
In the long run though I feel DJ ended up the worst part.

It's a win for the UFC. But a loss for someone like me that appreciates watching good fights. Mighty mouse is a more exciting and more entertaining fighter than askren.

It was a move that both organisations and fighters won.
In the long run though I feel DJ ended up the worst part.
Untrue he might have gotten the best of all of it. It was worse for askren for sure. He got completely exposed and his aura of being this undefeated stripped away. Even losing to Maia who ispretty much done and doesnt have much further to go seals it.

At least if askren stayed retired, we'd still at least wonder how good he is. Now we don't have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wavemeter
Back