"Overweight" athletics (why America is obsessed with the waistline even in combat sports)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some nice combos.
Prolly wouldn’t hurt to lose a few lbs.

Last edited:
I got the idea for this thread because after I posted a video of myself in the boxing forum it became abundantly clear to me that most responders were more interested in my weight than my message

In a typical juvenile tirade people that were upset about what I had said earlier focused exclusively on my current physical conditioning in an attempt to discredit or disqualify my message

As if an athlete or coach's current physical condition has anything to do with their knowledge or message

so I have a theory...basically in our consumer culture world so many TV Watchers are bombarded with sales tactics that they wind up with a mixed up confused View

Likely they're sitting there munching away on junk food watching a sitcom while they are bombarded with get fit ads thus they somehow pervertedly construe body fat percentage with knowledge and and an athlete's ability to perform because the people they see on TV are cherry-picked models designed to sell them the latest cockamamie Gadget or craze while they personally don't have any experience whatsoever in Athletics

The sad fact is that if you don't look the part it's hard for people to accept that you know what you're talking about

Throughout my fight career I competed as light as 205 lb and as heavy as 330 lbs
I am currently 6' 289lbs at 30% body fat

Here's the videos that started the downward spiral on my boxing thread

As a record-breaking wrestling coach and one of the founding fathers of American MMA I have had thousands of athlete's walk through my door in wildly varying conditions and I can say without a doubt that your body fat percentage has literally nothing to do with your knowledge and athletic performance

There are hundreds of athletes that compete every day that are technically overweight yet maintain fantastic performance in both cardio and Technical criterias

I remember being turned down for the Marine Corps right out of high school because I was some 70 lb over their minimum BMI criteria at 5' 10" 250lbs
even tho I was around 20% body fat and could wrestle for hours the Marine Corps didn't care because I was technically way over there minimum of 180 lb @ 5'10"

Remember... this man was some 50 lb overweight when he won mr. Olympia in 1987 via America's current BMI criteria

View attachment 740817

lmao@this epic tantrum just cuz you got fatshamed in the boxing forum.

Thanks for the chuckles, mate.

I wonder whose troll account this is? It's mildly entertaining.

Being overweight is irrelevant on performance and endurance and BMI is overrated then turned to being overweight per BMI with 30% bodyweight is equivalent to being a muscular bodybuilder with 5-6% bodyfat. So being 5'10 290lb 30% BF is equivalent to being Arnold because BMI is similar for both. This guy is the founding father of MMA and best heavyweight boxing coach ever.

Now we just need some Steven Seagal videos of op...

6’, 289 30 percent bf? So you’d be 246 at 15 percent bf? Arnold in that pic is like 6’ 245 8 percent, so I suspect you are above 30 percent bf.

6’, 289 30 percent bf? So you’d be 246 at 15 percent bf? Arnold in that pic is like 6’ 245 8 percent, so I suspect you are above 30 percent bf.

He's 5'10 he said it a year ago. he apparently grows an inch every 6 months.

He's 5'10 he said it a year ago. he apparently grows an inch every 6 months.

my you certainly seem into these inches

lol

I am routinely measured from 5'10'' to 6'

my scale says 30-35% when i shot that video

I wonder whose troll account this is? It's mildly entertaining.

Being overweight is irrelevant on performance and endurance and BMI is overrated then turned to being overweight per BMI with 30% bodyweight is equivalent to being a muscular bodybuilder with 5-6% bodyfat. So being 5'10 290lb 30% BF is equivalent to being Arnold because BMI is similar for both. This guy is the founding father of MMA and best heavyweight boxing coach ever.

Now we just need some Steven Seagal videos of op...

actually i converted a community center kickboxing club to mma in 1993 [the next day after UFC1]

no big deal

but it was one of the 1st MMA gyms in american history

POINT WAS BMI is a ridiculous way to determine someones "obesity" because ARNOLD RATED AS OBESE [per BMI] at 5% bodyfat because he was so heavy

lmao@this epic tantrum just cuz you got fatshamed in the boxing forum.

Thanks for the chuckles, mate.

nobodys mad here

sounds like your trying to imply I have some kind of emotional problem

is it because im fat??

Cardio/LackTherof ...Age x Height x Weight x Fat%... just a hunch. BMI is no secret. I know that adding a couple inches to your height helps.

I have excellent cardio

You dont know any overweight athletes?

do you know any athletes?

We weren't interested in your message cause it was clear that you thought you knew more than you did.

and how would you judge that?

do you have ANY experience in fightsports?

I have excellent cardio

You dont know any overweight athletes?

do you know any athletes?
What qualifies as an athlete to you? I know many overweight guys that used to be athletic. I know some guys that were overweight and got in shape, that I now would say are athletic. Im going say that your in the first group, trying to get into the second.

Its confusing i know

Its all about how you respect people who have a certain appearance

As if you are living vicariously
My comments about you and my opinion of you have absolutely nothing to do with your appearance.

the scale says I am 30-35% body fat like a pro football line man
What kind of scale are you using? Most are inaccurate.
Why did you have to say "pro" football lineman? Why not just "lineman"? What you're saying isn't wrong but it's very arrogant. You're no where near the athlete of a pro football players. Nor does your obese BMI make you similar to an elite bodybuilder with the same BMI.
If you get offended easily for being overweight, why not lose some fat?

I agree that you can't base someones knowledge on appearance once they're over the hill and have packed on some lbs.

who do you think helped put fighters in the ring during the beginnings of the sport?
Excellent trolling sir. I'm wondering if that's even you that you're posting videos of.

Imagine that's actually you and you're posting like this on Sherdog and real fighters/clients see this? How would anyone take you seriously after?

10_2-clown.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back