HEAVYWEIGHT COACH (why the average coach shouldn't be training heavy weights)

No you didnt school anything. You just tried to market yourself (yet again) by spamming and you got laughed out of the boxing forum and got your thread locked.

That thread wasn't locked for spamming...it was locked because it was being overrun with angry little trolls that were butthurt from they're painful SCHOOLING

I took them to SCHOOL on the short bus

I should ignore Trolls but I like to play whack-a-mole

You tried to misrepresent why my thread was locked... for that you get a kellyanne1583720799387.jpg

How can someone just starting out determine whether or not a coach is "competent"

They really have to take their word for it as they don't have much of a comparison to work from

My Muay Thai coach did a fantastic job with smaller athletes because he was a smaller guy but he expected the heavy weights to jump as much rope as the light weights...

That doesn't make any sense
A good start to determining competence would be their record as a trainer, including (potentially) with fighters in different weight classes. As has been previously stated, everyone is in agreement that the specific physical characteristics of an individual fighter should be taken into consideration.

A gym with some successful fighters, with potential sparring partners of a similar size, and trainers who aren't dickheads would be a pretty good place to start.

Muay Thai is a great example. I personally know two heavyweight fighters who trained at a small gym in my local town and reached a reasonable standard. They both went to train in Thailand (at different times); their trainers and pad holders were small (typical Thai's) but holy shit did they improve. The differentiator was the quality of training they were given; the size of the trainers was evidently of little consequence.

*Edit - one of those fighters is a guy called Joe Boobyer. Google him if you like.

Last edited:
A good start to determining competence would be their record as a trainer, including (potentially) with fighters in different weight classes. As has been previously stated, everyone is in agreement that the specific physical characteristics of an individual fighter should be taken into consideration.

A gym with some successful fighters, with potential sparring partners of a similar size, and trainers who aren't dickheads would be a pretty good place to start.

Muay Thai is a great example. I personally know two heavyweight fighters who trained at a small gym in my local town and reached a reasonable standard. They both went to train in Thailand (at different times); their trainers and pad holders were small (typical Thai's) but holy shit did they improve. The differentiator was the quality of training they were given; the size of the trainers was evidently of little consequence.

*Edit - one of those fighters is a guy called Joe Boobyer. Google him if you like.

plenty of crap coaches are very successful because they have the money, influence and facility thus they draw the best athletes...success often has very little to do with competency but id often precipitated by wealth and luck

I believe the heavyweights DID improve with the training experience in Thailand

however it sill holds that a heavyweight athlete is ALWAYS better with a heavyweight trainer because its such a unique weight class and I suggest they would have been EVEN MORE IMPROVED if they had heavweight coaches not tiny little Thais

I for instance had a rough time sparring at the muay thai gym because I was required to waste 5 rounds jumping rope and my legs were already hurt by the time we strapped on the shin guards...especially the ankles and feet

the VERY SAME guys [when they came to my MMA club] were easy to handle in muay thai because I hadent beat the crap out of my legs jumping rope

Thai training is designed by small coaches for small fighters and is a GREAT EXAMPLE how the one size fits all training protocols FAIL the biggest athletes

The larger European athletes even kick differently then the tiny thais

I have a very detailed argument on this thread

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tippy-toes-a-no-no-a-better-way-to-kick.3894957/

Last edited:
18447090_841985302615098_316764272818330670_n.jpg

this is NOT the build im talking about when i say heavyweight athlete...

CtSxTKWUsAE35Y2.jpg

this 7' 400lb football player would never be able to train in muay thai because of its tiny little coaches who would be stupid enough to insist that he ran and skipped with the 115lb athletes and he would quit and go play football

https://www.scoopnest.com/user/TheB...s-400-pounds-and-plays-football-at-lake-shore

upload_2020-3-12_13-21-22.jpeg

1972-summer-olympics-munich-germany-shutterstock-editorial-7317776d.jpg

cee7587e-4962-e511-bef0-a0369f3c1b4c_original.jpg

upload_2020-3-12_13-23-39.jpeg

none of these men could run or skip 5 round of jump rope yet they would possibly do great in muay thai if only trainers understood their limitations and strengths

instead they were limited to wrestling and football because THOSE TRAINERS were better at understanding them [until wrestling banned athletes over 289 that is]

18447090_841985302615098_316764272818330670_n.jpg

this is NOT the build im talking about when i say heavyweight athlete...

CtSxTKWUsAE35Y2.jpg

this 7' 400lb football player would never be able to train in muay thai because of its tiny little coaches who would be stupid enough to insist that he ran and skipped with the 115lb athletes and he would quit and go play football

https://www.scoopnest.com/user/TheB...s-400-pounds-and-plays-football-at-lake-shore

A football lineman has a physique that is required for being a football lineman. Meathead was 300 pbs when he played line in the nfl; a physique that was sports specific.

Since going to mma he has trimmed down to 240~250. Because he didnt have to play line in the nfl anymore.

Something that a half competent coach would realize. That kid wouldnt be 400 lbs if he fights mma because that's not an optimal physique for mma.

plenty of crap coaches are very successful because they have the money, influence and facility thus they draw the best athletes...success often has very little to do with competency but id often precipitated by wealth and luck

however it sill holds that a heavyweight athlete is ALWAYS better with a heavyweight trainer because its such a unique weight class and I suggest they would have been EVEN MORE IMPROVED if they had heavweight coaches not tiny little Thais

I for instance had a rough time sparring at the muay thai gym because I was required to waste 5 rounds jumping rope and my legs were already hurt by the time we strapped on the shin guards...especially the ankles and feet

the VERY SAME guys [when they came to my MMA club] were easy to handle in muay thai because I hadent beat the crap out of my legs jumping rope

Thai training is designed by small coaches for small fighters and is a GREAT EXAMPLE how the one size fits all training protocols FAIL the biggest athletes

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/tippy-toes-a-no-no-a-better-way-to-kick.3894957/
It sounds like you had poor coaches who employed a "one size fits all" coaching strategy. As I said earlier, intelligence and critical thinking competence are unrelated to an individual's stature.

*Joe won a world title, so he did okay being trained by "tiny little Thai's".
I may have missed it but I don't think you've provided any evidence in support of your viewpoint, just opinion...?

lol that's a lot of words to say you're too fat to skip rope without hurting your inadequate legs.

Rico Verhoeven is 6'5 270lbs and he runs and skips rope every workout. That's why he has the conditioning to outwork his opponents. Stop making excuses because you're lazy.

A football lineman has a physique that is required for being a football lineman. Meathead was 300 pbs when he played line in the nfl; a physique that was sports specific.

Since going to mma he has trimmed down to 240~250. Because he didnt have to play line in the nfl anymore.

Something that a half competent coach would realize. That kid wouldnt be 400 lbs if he fights mma because that's not an optimal physique for mma.

If a 400-pound athlete walked into your gym and you told him to skip rope and Run miles he would then turn around and walk out because he can't do that crap without completely destroying his entire body

(Duah)

An "optimal" physique for MMA doesn't exist HOWEVER an optimal physique for the standard MMA training expectations does and it is wildly wrong

way way way wrong

Morons like you would be so focused on getting that 400 pounder down to your perverted "optimal" vision of the "proper" physique for MMA he would quit and go play football instead

It sounds like you had poor coaches who employed a "one size fits all" coaching strategy. As I said earlier, intelligence and critical thinking competence are unrelated to an individual's stature.

*Joe won a world title, so he did okay being trained by "tiny little Thai's".
I may have missed it but I don't think you've provided any evidence in support of your viewpoint, just opinion...?

I think I'm in pretty good company with this opinion

All we have to do is invent a time machine and take an athlete back to his beginning and start over with a heavyweight coach to test the theory

lol that's a lot of words to say you're too fat to skip rope without hurting your inadequate legs.

Rico Verhoeven is 6'5 270lbs and he runs and skips rope every workout. That's why he has the conditioning to outwork his opponents. Stop making excuses because you're lazy.

Do you believe that "laziness" is the only thing standing between this athletes and
"training success"
Translation:
can run and Skip as far as a 115

1584039645028.jpg

yet of course you would NEVER EXPECT the 115 to lift as much in the weight room

Do you believe that "laziness" is the only thing standing between these athletes and " training success"
Translation:
can run and Skip as far as a 115

ATTACH=full]746493[/ATTACH] View attachment 746495
Not sure what your point is here- that obese people can have power and strength? We've all seen morbidly obese Ruiz knock out Joshua. That still doesn't change the fact that they're out of shape and only made it to the top due to natural gifts. If Ruiz did his roadwork and jumproping, he could have won the rematch too.

BTW, you have a smaller frame than Andre Ward- a natural 168 lber.

Not sure what your point is here- that obese people can have power and strength? We've all seen morbidly obese Ruiz knock out Joshua. That still doesn't change the fact that they're out of shape and only made it to the top due to natural gifts. If Ruiz did his roadwork and jumproping, he could have won the rematch too.

BTW, you have a smaller frame than Andre Ward- a natural 168 lber.

sherdog exhibit 1

thinks john ruiz is lazy because he doesn't look like this

5f022e2c063a4b32a99bbed18b68a71a.jpg

maybe if he did more time sparring and less time running and skipping rope this wouldn't have happened?

Look at the "lazy fatty"

20200312_152443.jpg

If a 400-pound athlete walked into your gym and you told him to skip rope and Run miles he would then turn around and walk out because he can't do that crap without completely destroying his entire body

(Duah)

An "optimal" physique for MMA doesn't exist HOWEVER an optimal physique for the standard MMA training expectations does and it is wildly wrong

way way way wrong

Morons like you would be so focused on getting that 400 pounder down to your perverted "optimal" vision of the "proper" physique for MMA he would quit and go play football instead

The physical requirments foe a 3 to 5 5 min rounds are complete different than playing the line in football. Its about the sport. Hence the change in physique for matt mitrione. Something you completley ignore.

The physical requirments foe a 3 to 5 5 min rounds are complete different than playing the line in football. Its about the sport. Hence the change in physique for matt mitrione. Something you completley ignore.

What are the "physical requirements" for excelling at Judo?

Having a giant belly and giant titties means that you're not the best you can be. Having a fat coach with a big belly and giant titties just gives the fat "Athlete'' enough sympathy to keep the fat ''athlete'' from being the best he can be. I think OP is trying to make up an excuse of why HE couldnt/cant run. Imagine if everyone was so lazy that they made up excuses instead of putting in the work. OP wouldnt be 100lbs overweight, might of had a chance of being a top notch pro instead of sitting on sherdog all day. P.S. Rico Verhoeven wrecks every fat athlete you've posted O.P.

I think I'm in pretty good company with this opinion

All we have to do is invent a time machine and take an athlete back to his beginning and start over with a heavyweight coach to test the theory
Opinion only goes so far; everyone used to believe the earth was flat, was the centre of the universe, and that eating fat was always bad for you.
The fact that no heavyweight champions of note (or at least a very small number) were trained by ex-heavyweight fighters would suggest the weight of evidence is on the other side of the argument.

You're a coach who's an ex-heavyweight fighter (the holy grail...?), how many world champions have you trained? That question would be much more facetious if it weren't for the fact I've given an example of someone I know who was first trained in martial arts by a welterweight in a carpeted scout hut, who then moved to Thailand and became a world champion...

What are the "physical requirements" for excelling at Judo?

You mean like teddy Rainer?

Unlike guys who fought in lesser talent pools like yamashita in the late 70s and early 80s?

Oh btw you are not yamashita, you are not andy ruiz, you are not the exceptional outliner athlete.

You are just fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brendan The Hybrid Schaub
Back