Buying a new watch; which brand(s) do you recommend?

I’m somewhat of a wrist watch connoisseur and most of those really expensive watches are really just lacking in style and function, just jewelry for the insanely rich.

Anything subtle or from the classic ranges of omega, Tag Heuer, Breitling (pushing the budget here) are fine imo

I also think that Seiko, with their long history are also a fine watch to have, as long as it’s the turtle or the Seiko grand.

But a watch that costs more than a Benz off the lot is a compete travesty of purchasing power even if it’s an investment
Agree on all counts.

These are the watches in my collection at the moment.
Got this one on sale for $20 at target, I use it when I'm working, working out, etc. Hasn't scratched
91LTBZmiXQL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

This one I paid $80-ish at Macy's on sale. It's a nice dress watch. I really like the eco drive movement
citizen-eco-drive-black-dial-black-leather-men_s-watch-au1040-08e_1.jpg

This citizen AT world chronograph I got for $75. From a guy that his current wife told him to get rid of because it was from his ex. They retail for just over $300 on amazon. Again, the eco drive movement is great. And it's in mint condition
919spaG7CwL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

I got this one as a gift from the wife. First swiss movement watch I have.
241564-2T.jpg

This one was a gift from my brother. Even if it's a fossil, I do like it. Since it was the 1st gift from my brother.
shopping

This one was a gift from my uncle when I graduated high school. I don't know if it's real or not, but it does have automatic movement. I've taken it to a few jewelry stores and two told me it was real and one said said he couldn't tell.
big-10221.jpg

What do you think of the seiko 5 line? I really like this one. The blue dial and brown strap look great imo
fd72fa298c12ffa2773c657fef661a78.jpg

I can't decide between that Seiko and an Orient open heart. I see a bunch of incredibly nice seiko (along with other brands) watches on instagram. And I would like to get a Grand Seiko for my 40th birthday. A Breitling for my 50th, a TAG or Omega for my 60th, etc.

Not really, and I'm not a collector. My watches are always daily beaters that have been destroyed within a few years so I would have a hard time putting the price of a used car on my wrist :) My personal watches right now are an Orient Ray, a Seiko SARB, and a TAG Heuer Kirium (which I can't believe has survived from the late 1990s). I also have just for fun watches with a Superman watchface and a Millenium Falcon watchface.

I've broken a bunch of TImex IronMan, misc Citizen three-hander quartz watches, and some Casio databanks. I should probably just buy a Casio G-shock and be done with it haha.

I have a bunch of buddies who are WIS though and they can't stop talking about watches all the friggin time. They are all about the micro-brands and the Germans.

Edit: that said, I've weighed the Explorer I and the IWC pilot in my hands more than once in the store. The Explorer, especially, continues to whisper to me.

What are your thoughts on Nomos?

I've been watching some GQ watch collections on youtube. There's no way I'm the only one that thinks those richard mille watches are ugly AF.

$500k and up for what looks like the affliction of watches.

I respect what he's been able to do on the engineering side but his aesthetics are disgusting.

Edit: while I don't feel nearly as strongly, I think APs are ugly as hell too.

Last edited:
Agree on all counts.

These are the watches in my collection at the moment.
Got this one on sale for $20 at target, I use it when I'm working, working out, etc. Hasn't scratched
91LTBZmiXQL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

This one I paid $80-ish at Macy's on sale. It's a nice dress watch. I really like the eco drive movement
citizen-eco-drive-black-dial-black-leather-men_s-watch-au1040-08e_1.jpg

This citizen AT world chronograph I got for $75. From a guy that his current wife told him to get rid of because it was from his ex. They retail for just over $300 on amazon. Again, the eco drive movement is great. And it's in mint condition
919spaG7CwL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

I got this one as a gift from the wife. First swiss movement watch I have.
241564-2T.jpg

This one was a gift from my brother. Even if it's a fossil, I do like it. Since it was the 1st gift from my brother.
shopping

This one was a gift from my uncle when I graduated high school. I don't know if it's real or not, but it does have automatic movement. I've taken it to a few jewelry stores and two told me it was real and one said said he couldn't tell.
big-10221.jpg

What do you think of the seiko 5 line? I really like this one. The blue dial and brown strap look great imo
fd72fa298c12ffa2773c657fef661a78.jpg

I can't decide between that Seiko and an Orient open heart. I see a bunch of incredibly nice seiko (along with other brands) watches on instagram. And I would like to get a Grand Seiko for my 40th birthday. A Breitling for my 50th, a TAG or Omega for my 60th, etc.
All nice little timepieces there.

I actually really like Seiko as a brand but I do feel the lower budget stuff isn’t worth the money whereas a grand Seiko or Turtle are very well priced.

The seiko 5 series aren’t really my thing, for me I prefer a daily driver, a sports and then three dress watches as a fine collection anything more than that is quite a lot.

The grand Seiko is an absolute beauty of a watch and seeing as I work in a Japanese company quite a few guys are rocking them, very stylish and quiet.

I can fully recommend the omega planet ocean gmt, any breitling you may happen to acquire would be a fantastic gift, so much to choose from the line up though haha.

I think when I’m 60 I’ll bring the count down to two watches, one being the planet ocean and perhaps get myself a Rolex datejust.

The rest I will pass on to my future son in law

I actually really like Seiko as a brand but I do feel the lower budget stuff isn’t worth the money whereas a grand Seiko or Turtle are very well priced.

The seiko 5 series aren’t really my thing, for me I prefer a daily driver, a sports and then three dress watches as a fine collection anything more than that is quite a lot.

The grand Seiko is an absolute beauty of a watch and seeing as I work in a Japanese company quite a few guys are rocking them, very stylish and quiet.

I can fully recommend the omega planet ocean gmt, any breitling you may happen to acquire would be a fantastic gift, so much to choose from the line up though haha.

I think when I’m 60 I’ll bring the count down to two watches, one being the planet ocean and perhaps get myself a Rolex datejust.

Thank you, it's very modest collection (I spend more money on power tools) I would eventually like to replace most of those with higher end watches. Or at least with watches that I really like. I do like that seiko turtle (just looked it up). I like the Pepsi bezel on that one.

I really like the Seiko sna411 "flightmaster"
3e6bbadc-97fe-4641-bd9d-105ba2ac3241

I love the way chronographs look.

Speaking of omega watches, my cousin apparently got engaged to chick with a rich family. He sent me a picture of an omega speedmaster and asked me if I've heard of omega watches. His future father in law gave him one, the one with the moon saying on the back . Lucky bastard.

Thank you, it's very modest collection (I spend more money on power tools) I would eventually like to replace most of those with higher end watches. Or at least with watches that I really like. I do like that seiko turtle (just looked it up). I like the Pepsi bezel on that one.

I really like the Seiko sna411 "flightmaster"
3e6bbadc-97fe-4641-bd9d-105ba2ac3241

I love the way chronographs look.

Speaking of omega watches, my cousin apparently got engaged to chick with a rich family. He sent me a picture of an omega speedmaster and asked me if I've heard of omega watches. His future father in law gave him one, the one with the moon saying on the back . Lucky bastard.
Yeah that’s a very nice Seiko.

And the speed master moon watches are the ode to the ‘69 moon watch approved by NASA, both will be extremely valuable in the future, beautiful design form and perfect function, Omega have long been at the forefront and come off less gaudy and pompous as some of the Rolex’s imo.

If I got my hands on an original moon watch that would be gifted straight to my father (he gifted me my planet ocean) as a return of a good heart gesture.

Just for reference I think omega watches are between $3-$6k and Rolex $8-20k

Having such a timepiece is exhilarating and fun BUT if you will be worried about it being broken or lost in anyway it’s not worth the hassle, we recently got a Tesla and my wife is so stressed out on it being scratched it’s caused her sleepless nights haha

Whereas most power tools we can slam them around without fear of damage at all :)

Casio aq230 with a leather strap. Just got one of these.
$30

lC9yW5l.jpg

The most expensive watch I own is a Vintage Seamaster. I mainly have Seiko's and casio's.

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Since we're talking about watches.

Here's a few watchboxes i made as gifts last Christmas. The boxes are made from Pine with Walnut splines. I used danish oil for the small box and then a few coats of shellac for shine.

The bigger box i only used shellac (gives a sort of holographic effect on the splines when the light hits them). the hardest part of making these was the velvet lining. I should have used a method called 'flocking' for the inside, but i didn't read about it until after i made them. The inside dividers are made out of Cedar so the box always smells great when you open it.

NQMvdTjh.jpg

Fwtqr3eh.jpg

6J8KS1Lh.jpg

NMfrubgh.jpg

Rjw0x5Ch.jpg

WgZBwVih.jpg

4xkCHl6h.jpg

5ASSfvuh.jpg

Since we're talking about watches.

Here's a few watchboxes i made as gifts last Christmas. The boxes are made from Pine with Walnut splines. I used danish oil for the small box and then a few coats of shellac for shine.

The bigger box i only used shellac (gives a sort of holographic effect on the splines when the light hits them). the hardest part of making these was the velvet lining. I should have used a method called 'flocking' for the inside, but i didn't read about it until after i made them. The inside dividers are made out of Cedar so the box always smells great when you open it.

NQMvdTjh.jpg

Fwtqr3eh.jpg

6J8KS1Lh.jpg

NMfrubgh.jpg

Rjw0x5Ch.jpg

WgZBwVih.jpg

4xkCHl6h.jpg

5ASSfvuh.jpg
Well done!

Grand Seiko snowflake is an absolutely beautiful watch.

9/10 people are only concerned with status symbols whether it’s Air Jordans on welfare or Tag Heuer on food stamps.

A gold plated turd is still a turd and the subterfuge won’t last long.

I never really understood it much either. People are free to waste money on whatever they want, but what utility does an expensive watch offer aside from signalling to others your willingness to spend a few thousand dollars on a piece of jewelry?

I actually got really intrigued by this Rolex Datejust 41:
Rolex-Datejust-41-Steel-Rolex-Baselworld-2017-Rolex-Predictions-2017-4.jpg

I just can't digest whether or not this is too dressy for my daily routine. Also note 100% sold on that fluted bezel yet.

I bought one of these with a smooth bezel maybe in 2004. I wore it probably less than 5 times that year and never again. Don't even know where it's at now, probably in storage somewhere.

Have a couple other watches I bought in the early 2000s, probably $500-700 range, and only wore them once or twice. No idea even where they are now.

Don't really see myself buying a watch again unless it somehow can do something super cool and useful that my phone can't.

Back