International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sano
Made a very crude start with some mortality numbers. Unfortunately, I can't find adjusted averages, so this comparison will have to do. The 2018 numbers, are the numbers from the time of the flu epidemic in that year, which was a really bad one (9400 deaths). This seemed the most appropriate to go with, in order to gauge the severity of the COVID-19-epidemic. I adjusted the 2018 numbers to account for population growth (17,4 now vs 17,2 million 2 years ago). All the cursive numbers are indicative of a flu epidemic (which is also still going on right now, though slowly dying out), the bolded numbers indicate the COVID-19-epidemic.
First thing you'll notice is we're, again, two weeks behind. The second thing you'll notice that week 12 is the first week that we went over the 2018 numbers. That week, we had, to date, because those numbers are still not definitive, 338 deaths attributed to COVID-19. Third thing you'll notice, is that the maximum amount of weekly deaths during the 2018 flu-epidemic, was week 10 with 4140; for week 13 2020 they're expecting ~4200 deaths. Nothing too shocking so far.
Here are the numbers:
92100824_10157006282011024_780937750059679744_o.jpg

Now, one more thing I have to add; as the cursive numbers in 2020 indicate, and as I said before, we're still dealing with a flu-epidemic as well. There is no breakdown, i.e., the number of flu-related deaths is unknown (at this moment). But take a look at the graph below. The title reads: Samples taken from people with acute respiratory issues.
Next is says: N = Total of tested samples.
X-axis reads: Percentage of positive samples.
As you'll immediately notice, only starting in week 13 does SARS-CoV2 start exceeding influenza-type and other viruses.
iazari_wk13_19_20_website.jpg

Now, to draw a conclusion. I got none. I'm even more confused now.

You got any bright ideas? ;)

Last edited:
They weren't reporting nursing home deaths until that first big number. They're catch up numbers from the past few weeks.

This. The nursing home numbers are coming from a third of all the French nursing home, so it's not even the full number yet. (Doesn't mean that it's going to be three times the number though, there must be plenty nursing home in less impacted regions that have no deaths related to the virus at all).

It's still unclear to me if other countries are doing it too or not. That could have a big impact on the global death toll if we currently mostly count people who died at the hospital with a guaranteed coronavirus diagnostic.

Calm down mate; I get that your angry, but it won't make anything any better. Also at this rate, you'll get banned, which I for one, do not want.
i do...hes like a broken record...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/media/brooke-baldwin-coronavirus/index.html

CNN’s Brooke Baldwin tests positive for coronavirus
Oliver Darcy

CNN anchor Brooke Baldwin announced on Friday that she tested positive for coronavirus after experiencing symptoms a day earlier.

"I am OKAY," Baldwin said in an Instagram post announcing her diagnosis. "It came on suddenly yesterday afternoon. Chills, aches, fever."

Baldwin became the second CNN anchor to test positive for the virus. Chris Cuomo tested positive earlier in the week.

Baldwin, who has been broadcasting from CNN's offices in New York City, said she had been following all the proper precautions. She explained that she has been social distancing and "doing ALL the things we're being told to do."

"Still — it got me," she said, noting she is healthy with no underlying conditions.

Despite the diagnosis, Baldwin said she counted herself as "one of the lucky ones" and that she looked forward to being back on television "real soon."

"And shout out to the doctors and nurses who are doing the real work right now," Baldwin concluded in her Instagram note, adding that she was sending love to them.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/funeral-uk-first-teen-to-die-coronavirus-a4406731.html

Funeral of London boy, 13, who died with Covid-19 held without family present
Luke O'Reilly

A 13-year-old from Brixton who became the first child in the UK to have died after testing positive for coronavirus has been buried without his family present.

The coffin carrying Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, 13, was lowered into the ground by four people wearing protective clothing and face masks as his family remained in self-isolation.

They were unable to attend after two of his six siblings began displaying symptoms of the virus after Ismail died on Monday.

A ceremony at the Eternal Gardens dedicated Muslim burial ground in Kemnal Park, Chislehurst, was held on Friday afternoon.

Mourners all stood apart from each other as they observed social distancing guidelines.

Ismail, from Brixton, south London, died alone in hospital in the early hours of Monday.

Family friend Mark Stephenson, who set up an appeal on GoFundMe for the family, said Ismail’s younger brother and older sister since developed mild Covid-19 symptoms.

He said Ismail’s immediate family had been left “devastated” at not being able to attend the funeral.

He said: “It’s extremely upsetting for everyone involved, but they have been very moved by the warmth and very positive messages of support from people following their appeal.”

Ismail, who had no apparent underlying health conditions, was described by his family as a “gentle and kind” boy with a “heartwarming” smile.

He tested positive for Covid-19 last Friday, a day after he was admitted to King’s College Hospital, and he died on Monday at 3am after his lungs failed and he had a cardiac arrest.

I can't even imagine the pain. God bless you little man.

This. The nursing home numbers are coming from a third of all the French nursing home, so it's not even the full number yet. (Doesn't mean that it's going to be three times the number though, there must be plenty nursing home in less impacted regions that have no deaths related to the virus at all).

It's still unclear to me if other countries are doing it too or not. That could have a big impact on the global death toll if we currently mostly count people who died at the hospital with a guaranteed coronavirus diagnostic.
We have a few new outbreaks in nursing homes here. This is going to decimate the nursing homes and the caregivers in them. My sister works on a nursing home ward in a small town and basically all of them are scared to death to even go home to their families. She has 4 kids at home yet in a very crowded house. I think this will come down to putting health care providers in hotels to help stop bringing this home to others .

total-deaths-covid-19-3.png

Sweden takes the lead in the infamous race for the fastest increase of the death rate...

We have a few new outbreaks in nursing homes here. This is going to decimate the nursing homes and the caregivers in them. My sister works on a nursing home ward in a small town and basically all of them are scared to death to even go home to their families. She has 4 kids at home yet in a very crowded house. I think this will come down to putting health care providers in hotels to help stop bringing this home to others .
Same story in Sweden. It's rampant in nursing homes and killing of people in droves. They don't give PPE to caregivers and they have not put in measures to protect the elderly in there.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...ruses-1.4880736?taid=5e86f530daabfa000144900d

Researchers look at humidity as a weapon in the fight against airborne viruses
Michelle McQuuigge

The ongoing fight against the COVID-19 pandemic could get a boost if Canadians paid more attention to the relative humidity levels in public and private spaces, according to a growing body of international research.

Doctors, scientists and engineers agree that sufficient indoor air moisture levels can have a powerful but little-understood effect on the transmission of airborne diseases. While the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 is currently treated as one that's transmitted through droplet infection rather than the air, research on exactly how it passes between humans is still underway.

Most buildings, however, fall short of the recommended threshold of 40 to 60 per cent relative humidity, particularly in countries with colder, dryer climates such as Canada.

Addressing the issue now, they contend, could confer some immediate short-term benefits and offer a powerful tool for warding off similar epidemics in the future.

"Transmission is greater in dry air, infectivity is higher in dry air, and the ability of a human being to fight infection is impaired," said Dr. Stephanie Taylor, a graduate of and lecturer at Harvard Medical School. "Any one of those would be important, but all three of them are in play."

Taylor concedes that the notion may seem counter-intuitive, saying the idea of humidity conjures images of fetid swamps and disease-bearing mosquitoes. But she said a growing body of research has suggested that relative humidity levels that are much more comfortable for humans offer a host of benefits.

She said airborne particles carrying viruses can travel farther in air that isn't sufficiently hydrated. For reasons researchers are still probing, she also said viruses seem to be more infectious in those dryer conditions as well.

Dr. Samira Mubareka, a medical microbiologist at Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital and a member of a team that isolated the novel coronavirus, previously helped conduct research on the effect of temperature and humidity on influenza strains.

The research, which evaluated data from Toronto over a roughly five-year period, found higher humidity levels seemed to help create less favourable conditions for viruses to thrive, particularly in colder overall temperatures.

"It was in that range of 50 to 60 (per cent) where we saw the least amount of transmission," she said.

Bring on the summer! That may be our turning point here in NB. It is humid AF in the summer. Unfortunately our summer is still months away and lasts for about 10-15 minutes.:(

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...ruses-1.4880736?taid=5e86f530daabfa000144900d

Researchers look at humidity as a weapon in the fight against airborne viruses
Michelle McQuuigge

The ongoing fight against the COVID-19 pandemic could get a boost if Canadians paid more attention to the relative humidity levels in public and private spaces, according to a growing body of international research.

Doctors, scientists and engineers agree that sufficient indoor air moisture levels can have a powerful but little-understood effect on the transmission of airborne diseases. While the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 is currently treated as one that's transmitted through droplet infection rather than the air, research on exactly how it passes between humans is still underway.

Most buildings, however, fall short of the recommended threshold of 40 to 60 per cent relative humidity, particularly in countries with colder, dryer climates such as Canada.

Addressing the issue now, they contend, could confer some immediate short-term benefits and offer a powerful tool for warding off similar epidemics in the future.

"Transmission is greater in dry air, infectivity is higher in dry air, and the ability of a human being to fight infection is impaired," said Dr. Stephanie Taylor, a graduate of and lecturer at Harvard Medical School. "Any one of those would be important, but all three of them are in play."

Taylor concedes that the notion may seem counter-intuitive, saying the idea of humidity conjures images of fetid swamps and disease-bearing mosquitoes. But she said a growing body of research has suggested that relative humidity levels that are much more comfortable for humans offer a host of benefits.

She said airborne particles carrying viruses can travel farther in air that isn't sufficiently hydrated. For reasons researchers are still probing, she also said viruses seem to be more infectious in those dryer conditions as well.

Dr. Samira Mubareka, a medical microbiologist at Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital and a member of a team that isolated the novel coronavirus, previously helped conduct research on the effect of temperature and humidity on influenza strains.

The research, which evaluated data from Toronto over a roughly five-year period, found higher humidity levels seemed to help create less favourable conditions for viruses to thrive, particularly in colder overall temperatures.

"It was in that range of 50 to 60 (per cent) where we saw the least amount of transmission," she said.

Bring on the summer! That may be our turning point here in NB. It is humid AF in the summer. Unfortunately our summer is still montha away and lasts for about 10-15 minutes.:(
I’m no fan of plus 40 with the humidity but I’ll take 4 months in a row if it will help kill this covid bastard..

i do...hes like a broken record...

Just trying to be nice, I don't know what's been going on with his week.

How are things in your neck of the woods? Everyone behaving?

Still relatively quiet in N Yorkshire. I think we'll be spared this first wave, which means we'll get fucked by the ones that follow.

Could someone answer this question for me, I can't seem to find the answer on Google.

If someone is immune to a virus, do they still show positive when tested for that virus?

It’s bad enough to lose a child you can’t even be there to say goodbye.

It is heart wrenching man. I hate to even imagine that kind of scenario but I think they would have to shoot me to keep me away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back