Can Someone Explain the Economics of Dana White's Desperation to Hold Fights

B/c there are currently like NO live sports going on right now. If Dana can show UFC events every weekend......even if they are free, he's going to get people, who normally don't watch the UFC, to tune in. It's a huge opportunity for him to grab some new "fans" and viewers who might become paying customers in the future.

It's like giving away a free 1-2 months of your product hoping people will enjoy it and pay for it later. And, as I mentioned he has ZERO competition right now. Heck, gamblers are betting on simulated games and eSports b/c there is no live gambling and gamblers gotta get their fix too!!

Put it this way.....sit at home and watch Tiger King for the 4th time or tune into some live sports liek the UFC?
There is no competition because all other sports are going along with the governors and health officials. UFC is going to ridiculous lengths to get around the rules and contrary to getting new fans, I think they'll get hammered in the press for it instead.

They will be the only live sport on the planet for months. You can't buy that kinda publicity.

Because the UFC is a C-level organization which will go belly up without making money for a couple of months.

Big boy sports leagues like EPL/NFL/NBA/La Liga/NHL can afford to take a break. UFC can not.

I mean, there's like a hundred players in the D-level Russian soccer league who make over a million euros per year guaranteed, without bonuses and sponsorships. Meanwhile some top-15 UFC fighters will probably end up on the streets if they don't fight at least once in 2020.
<{MingNope}>

Last edited:
To be fair if he doesn’t get his guys fights they don’t eat. Football players make their money whether they play half or a full season, not to mention right how’s the off season anyway. Dana probably has tons of guys who safe gonna be in major need of money real fast
Well. That's why they need a union

I understand that he will make money from the UFC 249 ppv and any subsequent numbered UFC events on PPV, but why is he so desperate to all this from an economic standpoint. I doubt the PPVs will get enough ESPN plus subscriptions to make the effort, hassle and money spent on securing a private island to host fights worth it.

There isn't going to be any live gate money so what economic purpose do holding fight cards have? Is ESPN planning to compensate the UFC for just getting live sports back on their network?

With the ESPN plus deal UFC's PPV's will make far less cause everyone needs ESPN plus to buy the PPV, most don't have it. UFC is paid a handsome sum because of that arrangement that makes up the difference and then some(Dana or someone said equal to over 500k PPV's).

With little to no entertainment alternatives, the PPV and TV numbers will be much higher. Also might convince a lot of people to get ESPN plus given the circumstances which will improve all PPV numbers regardless of pandemic(because the hassle is more reasonable with no other sports on). Economically the bad PPV numbers are a tradeoff for the Disney money and the faster everyone who would normally buy a PPV has ESPN plus the faster the UFC can have their cake and eat it too.

Thought his insistence on having Tony v Khabib was genuine for the same reason many on here agreed with it. Resuming a schedule of watered down cards that would not have done well in ordinary times is a dead giveaway that he at least wants to take advantage of the situation where he isn't going to have competition for as long as a year.

Live gate money isn't the main source of revenue driver in any sport anymore. Televised events before no crowd is a decision every single sport would make in a heartbeat if that solved the problem. Financially it is still very worth while.

Last edited:
It's obvious that they make more money by putting on events when there are literally no other sports on in the world than by not doing so. The real interesting question is: would it make more sense to have this event on tv rather than on ppv? ESPN would pop an insane rating and maybe that could lead to some big opportunities with advertisers or whatever while the pandemic is still on. Will this lack of sports really translate to an actual big ppv buyrate? These are the kinds of discussions I think that would be interesting, from people who are much more knowledgeable about the business end of this than I am. That would be a perfect thread for FrankieNYC God rest his soul.

Espn will make sure everybody knows about it. There is nothing else. These fighters may become known by more sports fans because there aren't any other sports distractions.

I think this more about grabbing market share than it is making money off this sole event. I think Dana wants to lead the charge in bringing back sports/entertainment and sees an opportunity to grab a bigger audience with nothing on and nowhere to go.

It's simple.

The world loves sports. How many major sports are being held currently? There's WWE, some Chinese events are back, e-sports, and...?

I saw a video on twitter the other day of a monkey playing ping pong with a human, and winning

What money is that? Making phone calls all day?

It's a fight promotion. No fights means no/less money, what is so complicated?
securing a private island is the glaring cost here. Sending khabib on private plane trips that don't amount to anything. Possibly forms of bribery in trying to get florida to hold ufc 249 etc.

Honestly I think it's a miscalculation to think sports fans in general are going to tune into MMA and get excited about it because there's nothing else on. More likely they're going to be like they cancelled my NBA and NHL season but let this shit show go on?

B/c there are currently like NO live sports going on right now. If Dana can show UFC events every weekend......even if they are free, he's going to get people, who normally don't watch the UFC, to tune in. It's a huge opportunity for him to grab some new "fans" and viewers who might become paying customers in the future.

It's like giving away a free 1-2 months of your product hoping people will enjoy it and pay for it later. And, as I mentioned he has ZERO competition right now. Heck, gamblers are betting on simulated games and eSports b/c there is no live gambling and gamblers gotta get their fix too!!

Put it this way.....sit at home and watch Tiger King for the 4th time or tune into some live sports liek the UFC?
Good point.

If they don't get any money from ESPN while shows aren't running then they need to make sure they crank shows out to make the interest payments.

I saw a video on twitter the other day of a monkey playing ping pong with a human, and winning
Yeah sports has been reduced to that... Good on that monkey though. Think he'll qualify for Olympics?

I guess there's a few reasons, and from a business point of view, I think it makes sense:

1) They've invested already in marketing and might have to pay the fighters their salary, or at least part of it, if they're forced to cancel the event. This way at least they can make some of that back.

2) Running an event with no crowd means you miss out on the live gate, but also probably helps cut many costs in security, cleaning, venue rental, making the loss from the gate not so bad.

3) Just running the UFC and paying its employess probably costs a bunch of money, so anything to offset that during these months helps.

4) They're probably expecting an uptick in buys since people are stuck at home and there's no competiton. Without Khabib, without bars showing the fight, without people being able to get together and split the cost, and with many people out of a job, I don't think it'll be much. But even if they do 200-300k buys (which I think is very low) at $70, that's 15-20million gross income.

5) There have been a lot of rumors that WME is not solvent, or is in somewhat desperate need of money, and the UFC is their biggest asset now, since their other businesses largely depend on live gates to generate income.

6) On a more speculative note, Dana might have taken on this project on a personal level. He's an extremely ambitious guy who'll do anything to get his and the UFC's way, and this is just the ultimate expression of that. This works for him on many levels, some of them beyond mere financial motivations.

If they don't get any money from ESPN while shows aren't running then they need to make sure they crank shows out to make the interest payments.
The only correct answer in the thread for crying out loud.

More people are staying at home, so they're banking on more ppv buys. Also, contrary to everyone assuming White get's 100% of the revenue from fights, the fighters actually do get paid.
People are staying home because of a pandemic and need to either isolate or quarantine - lots have lost their jobs and are burning through any savings they may have. You cannot go to bars to drink and save a bit on the PPV, you cannot have friends over to split the cost - But I'm sure that people will forget about their financial and the health issues to spend money they don't have on a shit show PPV from a fringe sport.

Lol

Pie in the sky mate.

This logic just as dumb, maybe dumber, as when people thought all PW/CM Punk fans would become UFC fans cos of that freakshow.

Or if Bieber or Kim K had a UFC fight every teenage girl on the planet would pay $60 for a UFC PPV and do 100mill buys.

Do you still not get mma/combat sport is still relatively niche and a half assed PPV during a global pandemic isnt going to see UFC take over the world, and make people who dgaf about mma suddenly start watching.

This is desperation/greed from the UFC, and only us fans give a shit for this card - some even less now Khabib has shit the bed.

He's trying to take advantage of people watching TV at home, which would be high. Morals come into play though, clearly showing he has none. Also, he can't gamble off his PPV money, he doesn't want to touch his non-disposable income at all.

Back