Name best examples of fighters that reinvented themselves?

colorado

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Fighters that were in bad losing streaks and somehow became relevant again. Oliveira has done that more than once! You go!

Conor. He did it twice, first in the Nate rematch and then again just recently when he came back to destroy Cerrone in 40 seconds at welterweight looking better than he has ever looked before

Patient Justin gaethje

This is left field, but Khalil rountree when he started practicing in Thailand looked totally different.

GSP.

Though, he really didn't reinvent himself that much after the Serra loss. People just have this perception that he did.

Sorry, didn't see the bad losing streaks. Losing to Serra wasn't really a bad losing streak, though it was bad enough in and of itself.

Korean Zombie after losing to George Roop is another one. Stopped just swinging for the fences with people and started to use his skills more intelligently.

Thread is kind of confusing. Guys turn it around after losing some fights without "reinventing themselves" sometimes. Do you mean just guys who have turned their careers around, or does it have to be a big stylistic, approach, or strategy change?

Biggest career turnarounds would be Mir, Lawler, Arlovski off the top of my head.

In terms of actually making drastic changes to get better results...IDK. Mir still qualifies I guess because after his accident he was an unmotivated slob and he revamped his entire life, attitude, and training.

Would moving up a weight class count? Chiesa not killing himself to make 155 comes to mind.

7eGh.gif

Lawler - ATT
Werdum - Kings/ cordeiro
Oliveira- whomever is behind his now stand up and filled out frame ( God dammnnn)
Mousasi ( after jacare 2)- finally FINALLY building a team around his elite talents.

Anthony Smith, I watched him fight Roger Gracie in Strikeforce. Showed some heart, looked up his record and thought 'WTF"

Next thing you know he's in the UFC, losing every fight then pulling the ultimate comeback. He got himself to a title shot with that many TKO losses.

20130426024904_IMG_9954.JPG

Not necessarily losing wise but definitely a reinvention.

GSP.

Though, he really didn't reinvent himself that much after the Serra loss. People just have this perception that he did.

Sorry, didn't see the bad losing streaks. Losing to Serra wasn't really a bad losing streak, though it was bad enough in and of itself.
Funny I thought of him also.
And no he didn’t really change too much he just became more calculated. The thinking mans fighter.

*I also missed the losing streak part

Matt Brown had like 7 wins in a row including Stephen Thompson after a 1-4 stint.

Fighters that were in bad losing streaks and somehow became relevant again. Oliveira has done that more than once! You go!
Not so much after a bad losing streak, but when Werdun went on his championship run he was completely out-striking people in stand-up, which was a pretty radical departure from what most considered his style.

Walt Harris, he was very low level and sloppy, had a losing record in UFC and got beaten up by guys like Jared Rosholt lol, but last 18 months he changed it around and became a lot better

Conor. He did it twice, first in the Nate rematch and then again just recently when he came back to destroy Cerrone in 40 seconds at welterweight looking better than he has ever looked before
Performing better isn't really a re-invention. Did his style or applied skillset change in either of those fights vs before? Did he take Nate down and out BJJ him? Both of those fights were him executing stand-up striking vs being a stand-up striker.

This is pretty much a "fail" response.

Masvidal after his reality tv show, with the new aggressive mindset

Back