Television TV Show Thread

@22k
How am I only now hearing about Maniac for the first time? I didn't know Emma Stone was in a TV show.
That's getting watched this week.

it's a super trippy show - not bad at all. I might have to do a rewatch. I think I shared a deep analysis of the show when it came out. maybe here or via PM - I forget.

i'm going to watch a few episodes of Maniac as well, see how I like it.
Yep, I'll get on it this week as well.
it's a super trippy show - not bad at all. I might have to do a rewatch. I think I shared a deep analysis of the show when it came out. maybe here or via PM - I forget.
If it was on PM I apologise. My head's all over the place at the moment.

I started Run last night. Absolutely loved it.

Yep, I'll get on it this week as well.

If it was on PM I apologise. My head's all over the place at the moment.

I started Run last night. Absolutely loved it.
oh my bad haha, I meant via PM with a group chat I'm part of (I think there or on the public forums, I forget).

You seen any of these?
  • Devs
  • Maniac
  • Gangs of London
  • Kingdom (Korean)
  • The Bodyguard
  • Chernobyl
  • Succession
  • The Boys
  • Marvellous Mrs Maisel
  • Hannah
  • Mindhunter
There's plenty of good series out there.

I've seen most of those (other than Marvellous Mrs Maisel where I watched about half of the first one and decided that it wasn't for me and Kingdom as I just haven't noticed it).
It's a pretty good list.

Gangs of London has probably the most violent fight scenes I've ever seen. It's like someone watched Banshee and thought it was all a bit tame and thought they'd turn it up to 11 for Gangs of London.
Obviously with the subject matter they can get away with it but some of the scenes are very extreme.

Good show though, I watched all 9 back to back on Saturday and it looks like they intend to make a 2nd series.

@fortheo She is brilliant

And she never uses her natural accent in the show.
Even when she's playing English it's not her natural scouse accent.

The strange thing about killing Eve was in the first season where they were calling it a Sandra Oh show. Ok I get it because Americans had never heard of Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh is Eve and had been in Grey's Anatomy but clearly the 'star' was Jodie Comer. Some of the awards shows had Sandra Oh nominated (she won the Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama) and not Jodie Comer after season 1 but that all changed by season 2.

And she never uses her natural accent in the show.
Even when she's playing English it's not her natural scouse accent.

The strange thing about killing Eve was in the first season where they were calling it a Sandra Oh show. Ok I get it because Americans had never heard of Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh is Eve and had been in Grey's Anatomy but clearly the 'star' was Jodie Comer. Some of the awards shows had Sandra Oh nominated (she won the Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama) and not Jodie Comer after season 1 but that all changed by season 2.
Took me ages to work out that I'd seen Jodie in a British drama before, she had a non descriptive accent in that, not Scouse.

I know they're based on books, but Phoebe has written her perfectly. What a joy it must be to act her, and what a perfect job she does.

Took me ages to work out that I'd seen Jodie in a British drama before, she had a non descriptive accent in that, not Scouse.

I know they're based on books, but Phoebe has written her perfectly. What a joy it must be to act her, and what a perfect job she does.

Doctor Foster? (I assumed that was the way she spoke and was quite surprised to find out that it wasn't).
Or maybe The White Princess or Thirteen?
I'm not sure she's done anything in her normal accent (My Mad Fat Diary - but I didn't watch that) which is why it's such a shock when you first hear her in an interview.

Doctor Foster? (I assumed that was the way she spoke and was quite surprised to find out that it wasn't).
Or maybe The White Princess or Thirteen?
I'm not sure she's done anything in her normal accent (My Mad Fat Diary - but I didn't watch that) which is why it's such a shock when you first hear her in an interview.
Doctor Foster, yeah. She's one of my favourite female characters I've ever seen and her butter wouldn't melt face is damned perfect to play a psycopath hit woman.
The first scene with her and that little girl had me in hysterics and I've been addicted ever since.

Doctor Foster, yeah. She's one of my favourite female characters I've ever seen and her butter wouldn't melt face is damned perfect to play a psycopath hit woman.
The first scene with her and that little girl had me in hysterics and I've been addicted ever since.

Yes the first scene with the ice-cream sets it up well.
I avoided watching it for a while, Sandra Oh made me think it'd be Grey's Anatomy but from that first scene you know it's not.

I'm currently avoiding S3 atm and planning to watch them all back to back when all 8 are out in 4 weeks time. I was wrong about her in My Mad Fat Diary, that's not how she speaks either so she might never have done a role with her own accent.

Yes the first scene with the ice-cream sets it up well.
I avoided watching it for a while, Sandra Oh made me think it'd be Grey's Anatomy but from that first scene you know it's not.

I'm currently avoiding S3 atm and planning to watch them all back to back when all 8 are out in 4 weeks time. I was wrong about her in My Mad Fat Diary, that's not how she speaks either so she might never have done a role with her own accent.
Phoebe Walter Bridge is a genius writer, I loved Fleebag too. I thought it was strange with the Sandra Oh casting too but it's so out of leftfield it really works. I haven't touched Grey's Anatomy in probably 18 years so I had completely forgotten about her.
I'm not being all "girl power" because Mr Inbetween it's a toss up between the two of them as favourite character I've watched this year but I do love a psycho chick who can handle her own :D

Give me a shot when you're all caught up with Killing Eve, matey.

Seen a lot of people say they enjoy Mr Imbetween so if you are into that kind of twisted black humour on show that has really flown under the radar is Fresh Eggs.

upload_2020-5-4_22-37-17.png

6 episode Kiwi drama from last year.

Two city folk move to the country to a backward town where about 70% of the population are borderline retarded. Pretty quickly shit goes south, there are (numerous) deaths and it all turns into one huge clusterfuck. And seriously twisted :D

To show how under the radar it flew, there are only three reviews on IMDB (and nothing on rotten tomatoes). Was probably my second favourite show of 2019 (Behind Grisse)

upload_2020-5-4_22-42-13.png

Oh, John Rhys Davies has a rare tv role in it, he's featured in the last few episodes and is ace

upload_2020-5-4_22-58-47.png

Its a pain in the ass to find so if you cannot find it DM me, I've got the entire season 1 on my server. (only webrip but perfectly watchable)

Last edited:
I was watching "Dave" on FX, it was okay.

Will start Devs next.

I was watching "Dave" on FX, it was okay.

Will start Devs next.

a slow burn, but as I've stated many times in this thread, I loved the show (Devs).

bro, if you haven't yet, you'll love Mr. Inbetween.

fucking awesome show.

a slow burn, but as I've stated many times in this thread, I loved the show (Devs).

bro, if you haven't yet, you'll love Mr. Inbetween.

fucking awesome show.
I will add that to my list.

Back