UFC Fight Night 172 Eye vs. Calvillo

This card is so damn bad compared to the one we just had, damn.
Why such negative towards the card? i mean sure maybe a few fights and the main event might be a bit meh? but i still think we will get to see some finishes.

I think Jourdain is faster, more aggressive, more powerful, has a more diverse striking arsenal, and feints a lot which might fuck with Fili's counters. Probably similar durability. I'd cap Fili in the -100s because his wrestling is weak (while Fili has a good double-leg) so I can imagine rounds ending with Jourdain on his back.
Dont forget the small cage. As we have seen in the sandhagen sterling fight, it is just harder to keep the distance.

I was going to pass before watching but after reading Kyle's analysis (thanks Kyle) I decided to tape and Jessica Eye is an easy pick for me. She is the better striker in nearly every way; head movement, faints, boxing, distance control, and then to top it all off she is going to have a significant reach and size advantage alongside having the better cardio. I also don't see anything from Calvillo to make me think she has the skill to outweigh the size difference to easily take this to the ground. 2u bet placed.

I also like Minner's odds. I favor Griffin slightly but not enough to justify +200 odds on Miller. Miller has more of a kill or get killed approach with his submission game which is why he can gets caught every so often, however, I think he will focus more on positioning this time around which should fair better for him. I see some small value here, so definitely worth a small punt. 0.5u bet placed

Last edited:
I do like Merab but I just thought that the line was kinda crazy considering Borg looked great with his hands. Merab is a TD machine, top game leaves a lot to be desired but going against a smaller BW should help keep him down. I’ll probably be parlaying Merab/Vettori/FILI

Borg's hands did look good but Merab won't stand with him.

I think Jourdain is faster, more aggressive, more powerful, has a more diverse striking arsenal, and feints a lot which might fuck with Fili's counters. Probably similar durability. I'd cap Fili in the -100s because his wrestling is weak (while Fili has a good double-leg) so I can imagine rounds ending with Jourdain on his back.

The problem with Jourdain's feints is that he doesn't work off them well. He feints but then just resets and wings bombs mostly. Where Fili actually uses his feints. His KO of Moraes perfect example. He hits Shaymon with a body shot early that clearly affected Moraes and then feints the exact same shot later. Moraes drops his hand on that side and Fili throws a hook that lands clean and ends the fight.

Jourdain is more aggressive and may have more power (though not sure about that) but Fili is by far the more refined striker.

Griffin has already beaten Minner not that long ago, what's changed since then?

Borg's hands did look good but Merab won't stand with him.
Every time he lunged forward with the hooks he got taken down by Simon. Needs to stay low to the ground and throw 1 and 1 2s and reset. Striking heavy gameplay. He will be alot faster.

Every time he lunged forward with the hooks he got taken down by Simon. Needs to stay low to the ground and throw 1 and 1 2s and reset. Striking heavy gameplay. He will be alot faster.

I agree that needs to be his game plan but I cannot see him not being bullied.

Didn’t know Agapova was cancelled. Improved since contender series

Merab fought Simon, you realize that right? He actually ragdolled him pretty much the whole fight, then Ricky hit a hail mary guillotine as the fight ended and Merab went to sleep right at the bell. There was confusion about who won, because Merab was way ahead on the cards. Simon ended up winning, they said Merab was out before the bell.

Bottom line: Simon bullied the hell out of Borg and won basically every grappling exchange. Merab did the same to Simon. You can connect the dots on how the grappling likely goes.
Are you doing mma math on me?

Every fight is different (except if it’s hollaway-Aldo or barao-dillashaw)
Sure, but in what way will this one be different from last one? Might just play Griffin ITD for a repeat if there are no compelling arguments.

I've have watched every UFC event since #1....this might be the first one I might skip....rather watch two rats fighting in a dumpster

Back