How good was Anderson Silva when Chris Weidman beat him?

Uh, no, look at Vitor in that fight. He was in TRT form. It was the same Vitor who finished Franklin, Bisping, Rockhold and Rumble.
He was still jacked as shit, but I don't think he was final form yet. Final form is the mowhawk/ rat tail lol.

He fell out of his prime a split second before Weidmans fist hit his chin.

I was at that fight, and man it was insane. Silva had a bit of trouble with Bonnar before that, so I think he was declining but close to prime. I disagree with some saying he’d have won if he didn’t clown around. I think he was clowning around because he was having trouble. Weidman was fighting a very good fight, and Silva was trying to piss him off and bait him into making a mistake. Unfortunately it was Silva who made a series of mistakes.
Yes. Some people say Silva ALWAYS fought that way as a strategy, but Silva did not ALWAYS clown and when he did it was never to that degree and usually not that early before he had established any meaningful offense.

He was definitely frustrated and couldn't keep his focus against The Chris. Weidman was well prepared.

St-Pierre, Jones and Aldo arguably declined faster.
Those guys also peaked earlier than Anderson did though. They all were dominated in their early and mid twenties. At age 32 Anderson was just getting warmed up on his championship run.

Those guys were UFC/WEC champions at younger ages.

Reactions: JKS
Still at his best. Fighting prime and physical prime.

Those guys also peaked earlier than Anderson did though. They all were dominated in their early and mid twenties. At age 32 Anderson was just getting warmed up on his championship run.

Those guys were UFC/WEC champions at younger ages.

I mean i don't know if the UFC's Anderson Silva at let's say 31-36 years was so much better than the one who has fought in other orgs before, but it's possible.

It's certainly true that the other guys at the very least seem to have peaked earlier, especially Jones and Aldo... GSP was probably at his best around the age of 28-29, same for Jones (who popped around that time though, lol).
Aldo was most likely at his very peak as well at that age and when he got starched by McGregor...

Still the best MW on the planet.

I believe Silva was on his way to defeating Weidman in their first fight and I was rooting for Weidman. I've rewatched their first fight a few times now.

Silva was landing really hard leg kicks and Weidman wasn't checking any of em. Weidman wasn't landing anything that was gonna hurt Silva. But Weidman was breathing heavy after that first round. I seen an interview where he admits to gassing quite a bit only one round in. This was a very winnable fight for Silva but the dude went crazy with the showboating and got caught. A night I'll never forget.

By the time the second fight came around Weidman was ready and learned how to check those kicks.

This is a bit of revisionist history, IMO. While Silva was doing some damage with the leg kicks, Weidman was outstriking him with the hands, and had a very, very slight reach advantage over Silva. Between using that advantage through an extremely disciplined approach and mixing in the wrestling, he was controlling the fight, very easily won the first round and roughed up Silva a bit on the ground, which Silva has traditionally not liked (vs Henderson, Sonnen).

Did Weidman have the gas to last five, or even a couple more? Not sure, but Silva "showboating" or "clowning" was to try and get Weidman to discard that discipline that served him so well, and Weidman wasn't biting on it. So he kept trying to draw Weidman in and got caught doing so.

He wasn't showing off, he was frustrated by Weidman's success and was trying to change that dynamic.

He was still very good, but it was obvious his speed, reflexes n chin weren’t the same as before.

Clowning didn’t help as well

This is a bit of revisionist history, IMO. While Silva was doing some damage with the leg kicks, Weidman was outstriking him with the hands, and had a very, very slight reach advantage over Silva. Between using that advantage through an extremely disciplined approach and mixing in the wrestling, he was controlling the fight, very easily won the first round and roughed up Silva a bit on the ground, which Silva has traditionally not liked (vs Henderson, Sonnen).

Did Weidman have the gas to last five, or even a couple more? Not sure, but Silva "showboating" or "clowning" was to try and get Weidman to discard that discipline that served him so well, and Weidman wasn't biting on it. So he kept trying to draw Weidman in and got caught doing so.

He wasn't showing off, he was frustrated by Weidman's success and was trying to change that dynamic.
Weidman did great in the first half of the first round and won the round. But Weidman was no doubt breathing heavy at the end of the first and start of the second round. Silva was chewing that lead leg up. At this point in his career Weidman didn't know how to check kicks.

Weidman has since talked about how he did a horrible job checking those kicks and having a bit of an adrenaline dump after that first takedown. Silva looked fresh as a daisy.

Weidman also shots for two more takedowns after that initial takedown that weren't close. He did land a few jabs that landed but nothing heavy.

It's hard to say what would have happened cause the fight ended so early in the fight. We weren't even halfway through the 2nd when it ended. But I definitely saw Weidman slowing down and Silva still fresh landing heavy leg kicks.

He looked considerably slower in the Bonnar fighter. Looked like he had a hard time avoiding Bonner's slow telegraphed punches.

Might have been slowing down even in the Okami fight but it was just Okami so hard to judge there.

He was definitely still in his prime against Belfort though.

Silva+belfort+2.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
at the time i hadnt realized yet that he had become a B fighter due to age and taking shots

He was the best MW in the world, Weidman had no chance, was going to be Silva's easiest title defense of his UFC tenure, Silva would retire with the belt, possibly win the LHW belt and even the HW belt...

Then he lost and the narrative changed.

He looked considerably slower in the Bonnar fighter. Looked like he had a hard time avoid Bonner's slow telegraphed punches.

Might have been slowing down even in the Okami fight but it was just Okami so hard to judge there.

He was definitely still in his prime against Belfort though.

Silva+belfort+2.gif

giphy.gif

Damn those gifs are insane. Especially the second one where he avoids the punch on the ground.

Close to prime,
Anderson was always overated tho,
was lucky his division were poor with quality wrestler.
Double digit loses Chael was a bad fighter but a good wrestler and easily won 4 rd in the 1st fight.

everyone was lucky and overrated in hindsight. At least here on Sherdog.

And as someone who routinely bitched about his competition, the fact is, Anderson, was MUCH better than even his next closest competition during those years (Hendo, Franklin etc).

At the time he lost to Chris, he was one of the best on the planet, even if he was starting to fall off a bit

Come on... He was 38 GOD DAMMIT. Still good, ok, but 38. Completely out of his prime.

Reactions: mkt
Damn those gifs are insane. Especially the second one where he avoids the punch on the ground.

the win over Vitor is one of the best of his career. It was remarkable to say the least.

the win over Vitor is one of the best of his career. It was remarkable to say the least.

I'm always torn between the Vitor and Forrest wins when I have to pick my favourite Anderson win. Obviously the Vitor win meant more because it's against a better opponent. But that outclassing of Forrest might be the best display of skill in MMA ever. From the top of my mind only Conor vs. Alvarez comes close.

Back