I need help with identifying a gun

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As some of you may recall my father in law was a firearms collector before he passed last month & this was sitting on his kitchen table wrapped in gun grease & wax paper unopened. So, it must have been his last purchase so I thought I'd ask for you gentlemen here in this sub-section to help me with identifying it as I no zip about long guns. Hell, I'm not even sure if that's the right terminology to use. LOL.

Anyhow, it appears to be some sort of military issue bolt action rifle complete with its bayonet. But I don't know from what era or for whose military it was issued to. So, any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
20200715_133436_Burst01.jpg
20200715_133454.jpg
20200715_133535.jpg
20200715_133525.jpg

As some of you may recall my father in law was a firearms collector before he passed last month & this was sitting on his kitchen table wrapped in gun grease & wax paper unopened. So, it must have been his last purchase so I thought I'd ask for you gentlemen here in this sub-section to help me with identifying it as I no zip about long guns. Hell, I'm not even sure if that's the right terminology to use. LOL.

Anyhow, it appears to be some sort of military issue bolt action rifle complete with its bayonet. But I don't know from what era or for whose military it was issued to. So, any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
View attachment 783006
View attachment 783007
View attachment 783008
View attachment 783010

Enfield. 303 caliber

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee–Enfield

Rifle #4
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=no 4 enfield

Lee-Enfield_No_4_Mk_I_%281943%29_-_AM.032027.jpg

Wow. That was fast. Thanks, man. I knew this was the right place to come. :D

I see that the bids for those for sale run all over the place from about $250 to as much as a $1000. Like any sort of collectible, I'm sure it all depends on the condition. My father in law's appears to be in very good condition & will probably look a lot nicer once all the gun grease is wiped off of it. Are guns often shipped and/or stored like that?

Anyhow, for now, I'll just put it with the rest of his ( well, our ) collection for now.

Wow. That was fast. Thanks, man. I knew this was the right place to come. :D

I see that the bids for those for sale run all over the place from about $250 to as much as a $1000. Like any sort of collectible, I'm sure it all depends on the condition. My father in law's appears to be in very good condition & will probably look a lot nicer once all the gun grease is wiped off of it. Are guns often shipped and/or stored like that?

Anyhow, for now, I'll just put it with the rest of his ( well, our ) collection for now.

If it's original new I'd keep it. Afterall it's a piece of History, like in the movies 'n stuff.

Probably cosmoline. Probably don't even need to remove it to sell it.

That stock looks like it has no finish.

Yes, sir. I read the wiki on cosmoline & that's exactly what it was/is.

Damn, I wonder how long it had been stored away in that stuff?

In your opinion, why is it unfinished? Would that increase or decrease its value? Or, wouldn't it make any difference?

In your opinion, why is it unfinished? Would that increase or decrease its value? Or, wouldn't it make any difference?

Guns, like other collectibles, can be funny. It's all about finding the right buyer (or two) at the right time. I suggest identifying what you have to the best of your ability and listing it as a penny auction on gunbroker. Let the market decide the value. Just say the gun was inheireted and had been stored in cosmoline and you don't know for how long. Folks assume someone didn't have a gun for 20 years with no protection and then they slap cosmoline on in year 21 to make it look good.

tl:dr; Put the shit up for auction somewhere and describe it as accurately as possible now that the overall market is hot. Over multiple listings you'll win some and lose some and it'll even out.

I was gunna say clearly a Lee Enfield .303 Standard weapon of the English and Australian armies from WW1 until just before Vietnam

View attachment 783006
View attachment 783007
View attachment 783008
View attachment 783010

Holy cosmoline batman.

100% legal pre WW1 era unmodified Enfield is not bad like Mossin too if in good shape. Ofc if all is 100% legally it increases pricing a lot.

Try to date it with serial numbers and or proof marks.

It appears certain Enfield No 4 Mk II may have used a different type of wood and finish.
y9xt5fkmiu821.jpg

View attachment 783006
View attachment 783007
View attachment 783008
View attachment 783010

If you end up keeping it I have case of .303 British that I got in a deal but
I have no use for that I'd give you if interested and ever come to Prescott.

I'd also be interested in seeing anything nice you have for sale too.
How do you plan on selling anything you might not want?

If you end up keeping it I have case of .303 British that I got in a deal but
I have no use for that I'd give you if interested and ever come to Prescott.

I'd also be interested in seeing anything nice you have for sale too.
How do you plan on selling anything you might not want?

Wow. Thanks for that generous offer. But I have no intention of ever firing it. Still, I'll keep it in mind, bro.

As for how I plan on selling the bulk of the collection, I'm still looking into that. But I'll definitely keep you posted. Especially since you're so close.

My wife & I still have to go through my father in law's gun room plus he's got another gun safe that we have to get from his other house in Bullhead City. So, there's a lot of work to do yet.

I'll be in touch.

Wow. Thanks for that generous offer. But I have no intention of ever firing it. Still, I'll keep it in mind, bro.

As for how I plan on selling the bulk of the collection, I'm still looking into that. But I'll definitely keep you posted. Especially since you're so close.
My wife & I still have to go through my father in law's gun room plus he's got another gun safe that we have to get from his other house in Bullhead City. So, there's a lot of work to do yet.
I'll be in touch.

Gun room, got to love AZ.

If you need help with moving the safe or accessing it contact Jeff with Advanced Lock and Safe https://advancedlockandsafe.us/
He's been in business for ever and he's the best safe guy you'll find around here.

Fuck I just had to help my buddy move a gun safe yesterday. Hell to the no

Yeah, I have a couple of TL-15's that weigh 2,500 lbs each. I figure by the time I rent a truck with lift gate
I might as well just pay someone else to move them for all the trouble it's worth. That's how they got here
and that's how they'll leave.

Fuck I just had to help my buddy move a gun safe yesterday. Hell to the no
I paid around $800 to have my safe moved from Maryland to Virginia....it was well worth the price.

When I bought it I didn't pay the extra to have it put inside....just curbside delivery. Figured it wouldn't be too bad getting it in the house and in place. I was wrong. When I moved I had a service move the safe. Never again will I move that thing.

you selling it? cause ill buy that shit off you PDQ

Back