Need a new laptop - any recs?

ArmenianAssasin

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I’ve been using a MacBook for the past 8 years and am pretty happy with it - unfortunately a portion of the laptop stopped working recently

I basically just use it for advertising for work, sherdog, and basic web surfing so don’t need anything too fancy for gaming or something

Any recs on which model to buy and where is the best place to purchase from ?

hp envy at costco... decent enough specs for your basic needs

although hp is having a back to school sale right now so you might want to check that

the acer swift 3 or 5 is also pretty cheap alternative

i can't stand lenovos

Last edited:
Dell XPS 17 2020 is the right choice for designers. Excellent, bright, color accurate screens that can go up to 4k. Premium build quality and even has optional GPU power if you want.
Looks sexy af too:
mchin_181005_4093_0001.0.jpg

I personally own a Razer Blade 15 and Eluktronics MAG15. Both are great for design and play but the XPS 17 I posted before is a better device for design work.

Get extended warranty.

I bought a laptop which crapped out on me shortly after a year and I only had the 1 year manufacturers guarantee.

I’ve been using a MacBook for the past 8 years and am pretty happy with it - unfortunately a portion of the laptop stopped working recently

I basically just use it for advertising for work, sherdog, and basic web surfing so don’t need anything too fancy for gaming or something

Currently using an ASUS Core I5 laptop, which I take outdoors a lot. Even after dropping it, on concrete ground, it works fine ; it was not on when I dropped it though.

Try and get one with a new Ryzen Apu .. Amd are killing it for production work at the minute.

I am generally happy with my company Lenovo but in my very limited experience, it is absolutely worth it to pay more for the professional line. Not only will you get more reliable hardware, but even more importantly, you will not get the ton of crapware that is pre-installed in many generic laptops bought at big electronic chains.

This advice comes from the IT guy at my company and absolutely corroborates my personal experience. Generic retail laptops tend to be absolutely clogged and absolute trash.

ASUS/Lenovo are good enough. They're pretty cheap compared to HP and Dell, I think.

I need to get a new one too. But I want it to at least be able to run a few games on it without it being a full on gaming computer

I am generally happy with my company Lenovo but in my very limited experience, it is absolutely worth it to pay more for the professional line. Not only will you get more reliable hardware, but even more importantly, you will not get the ton of crapware that is pre-installed in many generic laptops bought at big electronic chains.

This advice comes from the IT guy at my company and absolutely corroborates my personal experience. Generic retail laptops tend to be absolutely clogged and absolute trash.
Dell is worse bro, and bloatware is pretty common nowadays. What you want is to clean install the notebook or use powershell scripts to trim all the fat including Windows 10's unnecessary processes.

Dell is worse bro, and bloatware is pretty common nowadays. What you want is to clean install the notebook or use powershell scripts to trim all the fat including Windows 10's unnecessary processes.

I heard that it is not always possible to reformat retail laptops without all the bloatware, or that it requires a certain set of skills.

My wife has a retail laptop that was bloated to the point of being hardly usable, so I reformated it. It ended up being hardly usable as well, lol.

By comparaison, the laptops / PC I have had over the years that were custom built by friends (or the company laptop I currently have) have had excellent performances. But they were all put together by people who absolutely knew their shit.

I work in IT. Out of all the major brands, Lenovo has the least amount of bloatware.
If you're willing to go outside of the box, Eluktronics makes amazing laptops with 0 bloatware out the box.
Highly suggest checking them out.
https://www.eluktronics.com

Microsoft's Surface Laptop is top notch build quality and decent specs, not too pricy, but you can prolly do better bang-for-the-buck-wise with HP or Dell.

Or you could go with Razer Blade :cool:

Dell XPS 17 2020 is the right choice for designers. Excellent, bright, color accurate screens that can go up to 4k. Premium build quality and even has optional GPU power if you want.
Looks sexy af too:
mchin_181005_4093_0001.0.jpg
TS asks for a basic laptop to browse Sherdog and do some web surfing...

Suggests a $1500+ laptop..

069.jpg

How about a vote for fixing your current laptop and throwing in a solid state and add more RAM.

What is wrong with it exactly?
Some repairs are pretty easy if you are willing to try.

Back