Tony vs. Dustin is going to be crazy.

Dustin is a top 10-15 p4p fighter imo. Look at what he did to gathje, holloway, hooker, alvarez, Ferreira etc. His boxing is crisp and powerful at 155 hes a tough out for anyone.
I agree he is easily top 10 and has been in the top ten bracket for some time. I meant elite as in capable of winning a retaining a world title. I don’t actually think there is much between Dustin and Ferguson, if anything Poirier has much cleaner technique and blends it together better however Ferguson just strikes me as being more dangerous and fairly lethal in certain scenarios.

Dustin is pretty much better everywhere than Gathje except the leg kicks. BUT....... The leg kicks were HUGE in the Ferg JG fight. Even tho I think Dustin is better than JG I think Ferg wins this fight.

Dustin is pretty much better everywhere than Gathje except the leg kicks. BUT....... The leg kicks were HUGE in the Ferg JG fight. Even tho I think Dustin is better than JG I think Ferg wins this fight.
Tony has that x factor of being so unorthodox I can definitely see him landing a clean elbow and it changing the fight. I also think Tony is better overall on the ground. The problem is the power gap standing and that for the most part Tony likes to stay standing minus an iminari roll here and there. I would love to see tony win as I think he should get a shot at khabib before they both hang them up. This is just a bad choice imo he has better options that put him in the same place. I think Dana probably said win this and you get the next shot, but if gathje beats khabib(I don't think he will) that probably gets thrown out the window

Oh for sure, Tony is probably the most unintentionally funny guy in the organization. It’s not that I hate him, I just think the guy would be a major douche to be around and while I’m a fan of Tony the fighter I do kind of enjoy seeing him get humbled as well.
I just want to see him fight khabib.

Dustin looked more patient and mature against Hooker. He knew what was coming and acknowledged it during the fight. Knows when to take breaks and when to turn it up. Before he just went for the kill with the volume constantly.

Tony still hasn't mastered pacing himself or making adjustments. It's still all chaos with him. Usually his output is too much for his opponent, but when it wasn't against Gaethje he kept doing the same until he couldn't go anymore. And he's 36. The durability will start to go soon.

I'd still give Tony the durability and cardio, which are key in volume vs volume fights (and which is also why Nate would be a tough fight for Tony). But Dustin is improving, while Tony is not. Makes this a great fight. When just a few years ago (or even a year ago) Tony would've been a heavy favorite.
I agree with most of your post - a tony has endless cardio we've never seen him tired so hes definitely a master of his pace and b I think Tony would eat nate alive nates best skills are poor man versions of Tony's.

Dustin looked more patient and mature against Hooker. He knew what was coming and acknowledged it during the fight. Knows when to take breaks and when to turn it up. Before he just went for the kill with the volume constantly.

Tony still hasn't mastered pacing himself or making adjustments. It's still all chaos with him. Usually his output is too much for his opponent, but when it wasn't against Gaethje he kept doing the same until he couldn't go anymore. And he's 36. The durability will start to go soon.

I'd still give Tony the durability and cardio, which are key in volume vs volume fights (and which is also why Nate would be a tough fight for Tony). But Dustin is improving, while Tony is not. Makes this a great fight. When just a few years ago (or even a year ago) Tony would've been a heavy favorite.
It wasnt the pace that slowed Tony vs gathje, it was eating endless big shots for 5 rounds

Tony will have to utilize some wrestling or else he will get picked apart and possibly finished

I'll be rooting for Tony guy is must watch.
Just hopes he takes less damage than his last fight

Dustin's true colours will be on display when he quits, again

When did he quit? He got choked out by a better fighter. Doesn’t mean he’s a quitter, everyone taps or goes to sleep. There’s no shame in tapping.

I hope that this is a main event of a Fight Night card so it can be 5 rounds. I don't want it to be on a PPV since it probably won't be the main event of a PPV and only be a 3 round fight.

I got Dustin. I picked Gaethje too btw. Tony is good but he can be hit by good strikers/boxers

Same here. Gaethje and Poirier are stylistic nightmares for Tony because their boxing and power are too good and they won't wilt like almost everyone else does against Tony. Poirier will be an even worse fight for him than Gaethje.

El Cucuy 4th round TKO.
Nothing but respect and admiration towards Dustin though.

It's going to be a sloppy brawl with numerous concussions and little defence. I honestly think fights like these are boring and predictable
Just so I can educate myself, what fights would you recommend me checking out that are not boring and predictable?

According to everyone here Tony doesn't stand a chance. I think it will be a war. Great matchmaking by the UFC.
I think Tony subs Doostin, but it's a close, excellent match all around.
If Dustin wins, I just don't know where you go from there. Dustin beating Hooker & Ferg probably wouldn't be enough to put him back with Khabib. The UFC would have to rely on GSP as the next fight, but what if that fails through? Or if it happens, then the LW title will go vacant no matter who wins. Dustin would find himself in prime position to challenge for it, but against who?
With only 2 fights to go, supposedly, Khabib's gonna bounce soon anyways. And odds are Tony/Doostin will be a war, so Poirier will take some time off and a lot can fall into place during that.

It wasnt the pace that slowed Tony vs gathje, it was eating endless big shots for 5 rounds

Tony keeps a steady output and then turns it up once the other guy fades. Waits for you to wilt. He can't slow things down once things don't go his way. Dustin has learned to switch volume.

I agree with most of your post - a tony has endless cardio we've never seen him tired so hes definitely a master of his pace and b I think Tony would eat nate alive nates best skills are poor man versions of Tony's.

Nate has better boxing and better BJJ. His cardio is usually endless and you can hit the guy with a shovel and he keeps coming. Tony's plan to make the other guy gas won't work, and the pressure just means close range, which Nate wants. Nate can have a bunch of losses, then come back and choke out Conor, beat MJ or Pettis, or dominate Maynard who's higher ranked. Cowboy was supposed to beat Nate, as well. This was a young Cerrone.

Last edited:
Back