Last Action Hero

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
I was prime demo. Reluctantly watched it back in the day. I think a big part of it was none of us wanted to look at this douche’s face for an hour and a half.

ab67706c0000bebbd7676c42c0b187b59e652d48
That kid gets a pass from me because he's the original Circuit City commercial kid who made "price match" a thing.

(Shout-out to the 92.3 Beat drop just beforehand. I had that bumper sticker. Holy shit! That shuffling guy is ME!)

He also fucked his older sister on a very special episode of ER.

Other than the megadeth sound track the movie was a major letdown and still is

I think they should do last action hero 2 as a crossover with Marvel. It’s a multiverse movie so

There's this huge fuss around now, or recently, where KINDERGARTEN COP was gonna showcase somewhere but "Karens" put a stop to it due to depictions of police on schoolgrounds. Both sides are up in arms on what is right, but let's be honest: there's a lot of fucking shooting at a gradeschool in that film. I'm not saying it's a bad movie or it shouldn't be shown -- but it really did look like it was marketed to kids, especially with the font on the poster. Revisionist historians might want to pretend "kids and parents weren't little pussies back then" but even back then I remember folks taking issue with the violence to comedy ratio.

Yeah, you're right, I remember there being panic about kids getting hold of 18+ films when I was a kid.

Arnie's films in the 1980s were definitely NOT marketed at kids. Conan, Commando, Predator, Running Man, Raw Deal, Total Recall, Red Heat - These were hard R movies due to their over the top violence, foul language, and sudden tits.

In fact that is what made 1980s action movies good: They weren't shy about R ratings and catering to adult audiences. Hollywood hadn't yet realized the profit potential of PG ratings and family audiences.

But that all changed with Kindergarten Cop (1990) and Terminator 2 (1991).

RoboCop was marketed to kids, there were toys, lunchboxes etc, likewise Conan and predator.

It's not as cut and dry as you paint it.

I've idly planned to make it the first Arnie movie my kids watch. Saw it as a kid myself and liked it. Not over the moon but good.

Wasn't it crazy how back in the 80s-early 90s Arnie films were basically marketed at kids?

I was watching The Terminator and Robocop before I was in kindergarten.

It's really grown on me over the years. It's actually a really smart movie, in terms of how clever it is at making fun of the action genre.

I watched it when I was 9 and even then I knew it was a satire playing up to dumb action movie and cop movie cliches. Some of you guys I seriously question.

Charles dance is excellent in nearly everything. The man has got a golden voice.

Agreed, though I was particularly pleased with him entering NY city and shooting a man. That scene is probably the most memorable for me.

Liked it when I saw it in theaters (Arnold and Jurassic Park in theaters at the same time then), like it now. My favorite part is likely no one else's, it's when Arnold says "Look, Elephant!" (sounds more like "Look Aelaphant!") to distract the gangsters at the rooftop funeral.

It got better with age IMO because it was expected to be another Arnie blockbuster so it failed to deliver at the time and most were disappointed. I watched the entire movie two months ago and was entertained throughout. Not great, but very entertaining, maybe due to the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously.

I must give it a go again. I was a kid and so disappointed when we rented it on VHS. Around the same time we got Cliffhanger out, and I was the Arnie fan and my brother was on Stallones bandwagon. It was like a victory for him that we thought Last Action Hero was shit.

I felt the same about Cable Guy at the time, was too young. A few years later and it was one of the funniest movies ever

Last edited:
Back