Costa afraid to engage Izzy, but not Romero?

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Yet Izzy avoided Romero like the plague in their fight, barely got by little Gastelum, but went through Costa like a hot knife through butter.

Wow, MMA is weird and matchups really make fights.

If someone told me a year ago that Adesanya would fight both Romero and Costa, and both fights would be disappointing and forgetable I'd say they're nuts.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Izzy didn't make it easy. He moved so well and didn't allow Costa to back him up. And the damage to the legs also had an impact.

Yet Izzy avoided Romero like the plague in their fight, barely got by little Gastelum, but went through Costa like a hot knife through butter.

If someone told me a year ago that Adesanya would fight both Romero and Costa, and both fights would be disappointing and forgetable I'd say they're nuts.
romero is 5'9 and not a kickboxer

Don't forget going to a split decision with Vettori.

Very unusual sport indeed.

Romero was also avoiding Izzy in their fight which is why he lost.

After some early success, Gastelum almost got killed by Izzy - the 2nd half of the 5th round was hard to watch.

How was Izzy vs Costa disappointing unless you are a butthurt Costa fan? It was a masterful performance and definitive finish of an unbeaten fighter by a champion?

Adesanya put a clinic on Costa, nothing about that was forgettable.
Disappointing only if you're a Costa fan (which is totally fine).
Maybe you tune in to watch one sided beatdowns, but when I'm watching a UFC title fight I'm expecting a real battle between two well matched competitors.

So yeah, when it turns out to be a televised execution and one of the guys doesn't mentally show up it is disappointing in my opinion.

I think he held back to preserve energy early. His little reach was always going to make it difficult to land anything, throughly out classed

Maybe you tune in to watch one sided beatdowns, but when I'm watching a UFC title fight I'm expecting a real battle between two well matched competitors.

So yeah, when it turns out to be a televised execution and one of the guys doesn't mentally show up it is disappointing in my opinion.
Fair enough.

Izzy is a sniper with much longer limbs. He knows he would get clipped rushing in. Its easy for Costa to have a gameplan. Its another thing being right in front of the guy and witnessing his speed.

He did absolutely nothing in there. Stuck out his tongue more times than he threw a punch.

Back