Did Gaethje's Coaches Just Simply Fail to Watch Tape?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The mounted triangle choke is not a common technique seen in MMA. Yet, Khabib has four wins via triangle he set up from mount, all of which were freely viewable on Youtube:

It really is quite interesting to see Khabib uses the exact same entry by trapping his opponent's right arm from the mount, falling back for the armbar, and then transitioning to the triangle once the opponent tries to come on top.

Even watching tape wont prepare him enough

I think people just overestimated this Wittman clown. Usmans striking regressed so much in the only camp he did with Wittman, and his only grappling advice is basic “don’t get taken down” or “take him down” nonsense... no technical advice whatsoever.

Whitman.jpg

Gaytche was bragging before the fight that he did not watch a single of Khabib's previous fights to learn from and plan, but just as a casual MMA fan at the times Khabib fought. Pretty dumb when the fight is high stakes like that. I mean how many chances does one get to fight Khabib for the crown?

Even if you know someone is better at something and train diligently to counter that, it just isn't always possible. A lot of people predicted Justin would have nothing off his back and would be finished if he ended up there, myself included

I think people just overestimated this Wittman clown. Usmans striking regressed so much in the only camp he did with Wittman, and his only grappling advice is basic “don’t get taken down” or “take him down” nonsense... no technical advice whatsoever.

Whitman.jpg

He was with Whitman for like 10 days.

and he’s a really good coach. The huge favorite won. It is what it is.

Gaytche was bragging before the fight that he did not watch a single of Khabib's previous fights to learn from and plan, but just as a casual MMA fan at the times Khabib fought. Pretty dumb when the fight is high stakes like that. I mean how many chances does one get to fight Khabib for the crown?

If this is true, that is very dumb. And it showed.

Clearly a case of underestimating your opponent. Exactly what I thought watching that fight, how unprepared Gaethje was on the ground. Reading that he didn't watch tape, it makes sense now.

I saw wittman's footage during the round end, is there footage of khabib's corner after the 1st?

When an undefeated champ walks forward towards you, through your punches, and throws flying knees and shit... despite being a grappler,

and continues to walk forward despite being tagged with bombs

Then yea, I can see why Gaethje may not be thinking clearly in the middle of a fight

He was with Whitman for like 10 days.

and he’s a really good coach. The huge favorite won. It is what it is.

I agree that Khabib is just that much better than Gaethje.

My issue is that his only gameplan for Khabibs grappling was essentially just a ripoff of Iaquinta’s gameplan: staying far away with a low Folkstyle wrestling stance. Except Iaquinta used BJJ to fight off hands and work a guard, Gaethje merely crumbled to his back and didn’t have anything in his arsenal to survive.

Terrible job from a head coach imo.

The mounted triangle choke is not a common technique seen in MMA. Yet, Khabib has four wins via triangle he set up from mount, all of which were freely viewable on Youtube:

It really is quite interesting to see Khabib uses the exact same entry by trapping his opponent's right arm from the mount, falling back for the armbar, and then transitioning to the triangle once the opponent tries to come on top.

He even said on friday he was going to employ the same tactics he used to do against wrestlers back in the day but Gaethje was too busy believing his hype.

Whitman.jpg
You're not going to grow in your striking in an 8 week camp man. Usman will be better in a year or so. But it might not even matter because khamzat is coming lol.

Yeah I posted about how stupid that was in another thread before the fight.

you sound like you've never had your ass whipped while drilling or rolling a specific scenario...

Everybody underrates Khabib's game off his back, even though the only seconds he's on his back in the UFC is when the other guy is also about to get strangled.
<PlusJuan>
Fighters dont know how great of a fighter Khabib is until that Octagon door closes on them.

Seeing it and stopping it are two different things. When you have a high level grappler good at a move, particularly from a dominant position, it's gonna be trouble whether you know it's coming or not. Like saying "avoid the right hook" or something.

Back