Official Women's Division Discussion #27

I'm going to disagree with the general consensus on the Murphy-Shakirova fight, that was not an easy win for Murphy and she was arguably losing the fight until Shak ran out of gas late in the 1st. The fight was pretty ugly with some nice moments, Shakirova was swinging punches while leaned forward with her head down. And actually landing. Then there's her complete lack of clinch defence, she kept bending herself over, getting grabbed by the neck and then punched & kneed. Did I mention Murphy crossing her feet all over the place while chasing Skak with arm punches, and the commentators calling this great striking? But we did have a couple nice teeps off the fence and jabs by Shak to keep Lauren off her, and Lauren finally learning what kicks are for to cut her off and stop the movement.

Let's just say I'm not impressed. Valentina's got a couple challengers lined up already so give Lauren a rematch with Katyn or reschedule the Calvillo fight.

I think Calvillo takes her.

IMO unless are already proven like Valentina was you can't get a title shot for a win over someone in her short notice debut who if we are being honest is probably not going to last long in the UFC. Lauren did not seem to get injured so she can have a quick turnaround vs Jessica or Cynthia. Lauren did say Jessica needed another win. So why not be the one to deny her that win and secure your title shot.

IMO unless are already proven like Valentina was you can't get a title shot for a win over someone in her short notice debut who if we are being honest is probably not going to last long in the UFC. Lauren did not seem to get injured so she can have a quick turnaround vs Jessica or Cynthia. Lauren did say Jessica needed another win. So why not be the one to deny her that win and secure your title shot.

Seems like a good idea.

Well the two women's fights were the mismatches I thought they were. Murphy looked good beating a woman who will never be in the ufc top 15. And maverick was gonna finish in the 2nd if it was not stopped.

Lauren isn't any number 2 contender already book Andrade vs Murphy winner gets it they could throw down at 256 257 or comain any fight night in between neither took damage. Maybe cynthia if she's afraid of jessica but that's probably a long wait.

Watching the submission grappling match between between Roxanne Modaferri and Danielle Kelly, and it’s making to see just how much BJJ and submission grappling have gone full “sport.” So willing to go to guard, diving for leg locks all the time, putting yourself in positions that would result in getting the crap beat of you. It’s no surprise high level grapplers rarely cross over to mma anymore.
Danielle submitted Roxy

Last edited:
Watching the submission grappling match between between Roxanne Modaferri and Danielle Kelly, and it’s making to see just how much BJJ and submission grappling have gone full “sport.” So willing to go to guard, diving for leg locks all the time, putting yourself in positions that would result in getting the crap beat of you. It’s no surprise high level grapplers rarely cross over to mma anymore.
That is part of the reason why I love MMA but have never really liked all the other sports that comprise MMA. I have 0 interest in ever watching wrestling. 0 interest in boxing, kick boxing and MT. 0 interest in GI BJJ and point BJJ. The only one I have cared about in the past is Sub Only BJJ. I LOVED that Eddie Bravo vs Gracie match and the kid super fights.

Danielle submitted Roxy
Thats basically the same situation with kickboxing. Even though mma uses lots of martial arts as base, you really need to play It along It due to the lack of limitations you dont find on It.
Even mma from mma has that kind of issue. The most classic example is cro cop vs gonzaga: cro cop said in a post fight interview that he didnt evaluated the Power of elbows(which wasnt allowed where he spent most of Its career)
I also remember a japanese vet from zst who fought once at the UFC and got wrecked due to his innability to deal with elbows.
Those pure grapplers usually take a lot of training on their own areas to adapt into mma.

I don't think it was a super-easy win for Murphy either, at least the first round was competitive (and it wouldn't have taken much more for it to be a lost round for Murphy) before Murphy's superior size, experience, coaching, pressure & full camp prep made things clearer in the 2nd.

I actually think Shakirova is above average as a signing so I'm a bit surprised how 'shit' people are saying she is, she has good takedowns (hit a nice one on Lauren in the first even if it lead to nothing) and above average movement/striking (for a grappler) - sure, it all needs work & tends to fall apart under pressure etc but it's a good starting place to work from, given more time/experience and good coaching (after all, even with top notch credentials and already being in a MMA hotbed, Khabib & his possee still felt the need to spend a lot of time training in America, so someone from Uzbekistan would need something like that to realise their potential too; & although I wouldn't say it's a 'world power' in wrestling, a soviet state is hardly 'underdeveloped' in that regard, & Shak does have more than one-multifight winner in her own W column, including Bo 'the Weili Zhang Assassin' Meng). I could see her sticking around a while and yes, even being ranked (would be interesting at 115 too, given the big size difference evident vs Murphy, though being ranked at 115 is a harder ask of course).
The trash talk was a bit stupid though ('I will retire Murphy' 'I'm looking ahead to Shevchenko'), as was the lame 'staredown fakeout' and the story about claiming to beat up an entire rival wrestling team by herself was pretty dumb too. As for the commentator hype, exaggeration has always been the name of the game but in the clickbait era it reaches new heights and DC is especially over the top in every matchup, just get used to it...

I actually am interested in Val vs Murphy or Calvillo fights, Murphy is super tough and durable, has endless cardio, and has already DeStRoYeD the career of one top kickboxer, and like she said she's never really come close to being finished before, so even if Val breaks her in half with a kick that would be something novel to see.
& Calvillo at least brings a loaded weapon to the fight in the form of her ground game (most of Val's rivals are rather impotent in the finishing department). Plus, both Murph and Calv seem to continually improve fight to fight.

If they have to get through Andrade first I hope they finish her (a quick Calv sub or 5-round Murphy beatdown plz) or if they give Andrade the shot directly I hope Val kicks her head off - literally
mad0131.gif
winking0007.gif

So there ya go, a bunch of potential 125 title fights are interesting (imo anyway)

Last edited:
^ Chookagian hadn't been finished either, prior to fighting Valentina... We all know how that ended.

Murphy is tough, yes. She's physically strong, and gritty. But she's never faced an elite opponent, her biggest win/name is Modafferi, as she lost to Carmouche, Montaño, Chookagian, and McMann. I can totally see Valentina submitting Murphy for the win.

Thats basically the same situation with kickboxing. Even though mma uses lots of martial arts as base, you really need to play It along It due to the lack of limitations you dont find on It.
Even mma from mma has that kind of issue. The most classic example is cro cop vs gonzaga: cro cop said in a post fight interview that he didnt evaluated the Power of elbows(which wasnt allowed where he spent most of Its career)
I also remember a japanese vet from zst who fought once at the UFC and got wrecked due to his innability to deal with elbows.
Those pure grapplers usually take a lot of training on their own areas to adapt into mma.
I watch kcickboxing/MT fights, I generally see the same things being used in mma. You occasionally get dumb stuff like a rolling thunder, but the mechanicals are roughly the same.
Not so with high level BJJ/submission grappling. Like I said earlier, too much diving for legs, sliding into guard, a lot of things that would get them beat up in mma. BJJ/sub grappling to mma means going in reverse, going back to basics.

^ Chookagian hadn't been finished either, prior to fighting Valentina... We all know how that ended.

Murphy is tough, yes. She's physically strong, and gritty. But she's never faced an elite opponent, her biggest win/name is Modafferi, as she lost to Carmouche, Montaño, Chookagian, and McMann. I can totally see Valentina submitting Murphy for the win.
Murphy arguably did beat McMann, her only bad loss IMO is Montano. I do think it would be fun to see her against Schevchneko, as Murphy is usually pretty aggressive and is super durable .. so we would get to Schev at her counter striking and wrestling best, which is always a pleasure. I don’t really see a path to victory for Murphy... but it doesn’t mean it’s not a fun fight.

As for Calvillo, she just needs to improve her wrestling some more before I really believe in her as a contender. I know she is fairly unpopular here, but she is easily one of the most dangerous grapplers in this division. Her big flaw IMO, is now that she’s no longer the bigger fighter she has difficulty getting it to the mat.

Last edited:
Not sure why Murphy said no one has been close to finishing her. Had her knee not gotten destroyed, Nakamoto was clearly going to finish Murphy in their fight.

125 is starting to become a log-jam near the top. Let's just book Murphy vs. Schevchenko and get ready for some more highlight reel footage.

Jarl

Yeah it does appear like a log-jam near the top. I'd put Andrade as numero uno contender, Calvillo at 2. If Calvillo gets healthy soon I'd like to see her call out and fight Murphy.

Val v. Maia is scheduled for November 21. Hoping it takes place without a hitch in weight cut, travel etc. Presuming Valentina dominates another title defense, I think she might have a say in her next opponent. I don't think the others have earned that right. Though they will certainly keep up with the drama haha.

Hey did anyone watch that full Submission Hunter grappling tournament the other night? I've been looking for a written review and can't find one.

October 30 for ONE:

Jing Nan Xiong
14 - 2 - 0

VS

Tiffany Teo
9 - 1 - 0

– for women's flyweight title

Is this a good one? Anyone have any thoughts like what to watch for, strengths & weaknesses of each opponent, things of that nature.

Hoping everyone is stating safe & getting some fresh air & exercise outside. These are strange times. I'm grateful for the ability to communicate with people from all around the world here. I love reading all the varied thoughts. Especially enjoy fight previews and analysis. Wishing each & every one of you continued health!

Rankings Update:
Andrade is now out of strawweight which mean Carla #3 like I was saying is happening.
New number 15 Souza? I guess Van Buren dominant win over her means nothing to rankings. Who would you have #15 now? it felt like there's many women who could have got it to me, but Souza wasn't one I thought.

Is this a good one? Anyone have any thoughts like what to watch for, strengths & weaknesses of each opponent, things of that nature.

I don't know about things of that nature, they are way over my pay grade in MMA, hehe :) But Xiong vs. Lee was super fun twice, and she has managed to entertain me other times too. Also, check the first one to get an idea of what might be coming:

Rankings Update:
Andrade is now out of strawweight which mean Carla #3 like I was saying is happening.
New number 15 Souza? I guess Van Buren dominant win over her means nothing to rankings. Who would you have #15 now? it felt like there's many women who could have got it to me, but Souza wasn't one I thought.

Well Randa is busy, has wins and a draw over gals in the top 15, so her - anyway why is Herrig ranked?

I know 145 is a terrible division but why has Pam still not gotten a fight yet? It is not like there are any prospects that she will kill off early. She only fought once in 2018 and 2019. Invicta got to get her a string of 2 or 3 fights in a row.

Back