Television The Anime and Manga Thread: 10th Anniversary Edition (old version, use new thread)

Great story.

Love how Spike tries to become king of the pirates with the help of his grandfathers deck. Last arc where he overcomes Brooklyn with Dranzer was epic.
Then Gintama and the gang took on Freiza

It's not even two hours long. Just watch it. It's definitely weird in places and it's not going to spoon-feed you the plot. Some stuff isn't explicitly explained but it gives you all the pieces necessary to understand it. Bottom line: it's a seminal work of animation and any fan of the medium really needs to see it.

I felt like I needed to watch Akira regardless of whether I liked it or not. The second half ended up being more engaging for me and my shonen bro mind.

Ghost in the Shell (the anime movie) is probably next for me. I've meant to watch it for literally years, but it just never happened - it was the first anime I was probably ever remotely interested in. I figure I need to get some of these serious anime taken care of, and then I can go back to waifus

I felt like I needed to watch Akira regardless of whether I liked it or not. The second half ended up being more engaging for me and my shonen bro mind.

Ghost in the Shell (the anime movie) is probably next for me. I've meant to watch it for literally years, but it just never happened - it was the first anime I was probably ever remotely interested in. I figure I need to get some of these serious anime taken care of, and then I can go back to waifus
Oh man, if you had trouble getting into Akira then GitS is going to bore you out of your mind. There's a couple superb action sequences, but the movie spends a most of time on convoluted plot points and philosophical navel gazing.

Oh man, if you had trouble getting into Akira then GitS is going to bore you out of your mind. There's a couple superb action sequences, but the movie spends a most of time on convoluted plot points and philosophical navel gazing.

Yea I love AI and futuristic stuff like that but I couldn't get into GITS. Even a TV show that came out years ago I tried hard for like 10 episodes and finally gave up. Akira was the first anime I ever watched but I always thought it was insanely over hyped. I saw Angel Cop after that and that was the first anime that really got me interested in the genre.

Nobody can beat this.
berserk-wallpaper-hd-best-of-berserk-armor-guts-kentaro-miura-wallpapers-hd-inspiration-of-berserk-wallpaper-hd.jpg

Yea I love AI and futuristic stuff like that but I couldn't get into GITS. Even a TV show that came out years ago I tried hard for like 10 episodes and finally gave up. Akira was the first anime I ever watched but I always thought it was insanely over hyped. I saw Angel Cop after that and that was the first anime that really got me interested in the genre.
Akira deserves a 24 episode treatment.

I finally burned through most of the historical mangas that interest me, so now I am back to a high school life comedy. I just started Nanba MG5, and it is absolutely hilarious so far! I don't know how I missed this one before!

Wow, finished Ghost in the Shell (1995 movie) and it was amazing!! It was much more engaging and thought provoking for me then the Akira movie was. The ideas were much more interesting, and I have a feeling that they will probably feel even more relevant in another 20 years... Really, really good stuff (but Fairy Tail is still the GOAT)

I also watched the 2017 ScarJO GITS, and I wonder why did they have to change the plot??? The 1995 anime story was better and felt if anything, more relatable..

I finally burned through most of the historical mangas that interest me, so now I am back to a high school life comedy. I just started Nanba MG5, and it is absolutely hilarious so far! I don't know how I missed this one before!
If you like Nanba MG5 you might also want to try Angel Densetsu.

Oh, also, how was Ad Astra? I've had it on my to-read list for a while but never got around to it. And did you ever try Elio the Fugitive?

If you like Nanba MG5 you might also want to try Angel Densetsu.

Oh, also, how was Ad Astra? I've had it on my to-read list for a while but never got around to it. And did you ever try Elio the Fugitive?

I've read Angel Densetsu, and loved that as well. Nanba MG5 is more like GTO, except it's following a high school kid instead of a teacher. Ad Astra was GREAT! The artwork is done very well and the scantalators include some context info at the end of some chapters to give readers that aren't very familiar with the history a better understanding. But overall, the story was translated nicely and the battles were done very well. It was a good read for me coming off of Historie. Speaking of Historie, there was a single chapter update for that one. Super short though.

I still haven't read Elio the Fugitive yet! Thanks for the reminder, it slipped my mind when I was browsing. I will be sure to get on that once I catch up to what's available for Nanba MG5. I hear it's completed, but that is the Chinese translations. The English ones are still a work in progress.

I also read Blue Eye of Horus, which I enjoyed for the short amount that was available. It's not as tightly done as other historic manga, but I love Egyptian stuff and wished there was more of it.

Oh and Hinamatsuri has been completed. If you haven't read that JB, you should. It's one of my all time favorite reads, probably one of the funniest I have ever read as well. Great characters all around. There's so much material for spin-offs too, but to my knowledge none have been done.

Here is the plot:

Yoshifumi Nitta, a mid-level Yakuza of the Ashikawa-gumi, finds his normal life thrown into chaos when a girl from the future literally drops on his head without warning. Knowing nothing more than her name, Hina, and the fact that she has incredible psychokinetic powers, Yoshifumi reluctantly becomes her de facto father. However, Hina's arrival sets off a chain reaction of events that affects everyone in the city, especially after more girls from the future arrive to bring her back or terminate her.

Things I gotta see before I die:

•Ippo back in the ring and actually making progress with Kumi. And Kimura becoming the Japanese champ.
•Guts get a happy ending with Casca
•Hunter x Hunter concluded in some shape or form
•Solo Leveling animated
•Luffy becoming King of the pirates and Zoro reaching number one swordsman in the world
•Jojos Bizarre Adventure finishing strong
•Will never happen but Zetman ending retconned with Jin getting the girl.
•G-Gundam spin of series on Master Asia in his prime animated. Again not happening but would be awesome.

About half way through season 1 of Demon Slayer and really liking it so far. :)

The new Sword King chapter is pretty epic.

About half way through season 1 of Demon Slayer and really liking it so far. :)

Demon Slayer was good stuff - really like Tanjiro, Nezoku, and the characters who have faith in them! Looking forward to having some new DS to watch

Really good show. For a shounen you are not talking about Sopranos writing ffs. It is way better than shit like Tower of God.

And it has the best kill ever

And bro, that song... This stuff just kills me

Tokyo ghoul season 1 was awesome

(Or i think its season 1 since opening changed)

Great stuff

Back