International Non-Americans: How have the events in America the past week changed your view of America?

Just acceleration of the social fragmentation and breakdown in the US. I'm seeing absurd violent and dehumanising rhetoric from both sides. Soon you'll be chopping eachother up like Rwandans if this continues.

Just to take BLM out of the convo.. if it was a group of circus clowns breaking white house windows and jumping in... theyre getting shot. If i enter my podunk little towns courthouse and run past security checkpoint and try to break doors to chambers im getting shot. Just blows my mind the trumpers were just allowed to waltz in. We're lucky isis hasnt attempted a coup at the capitol lol

Well the videos CLEARY show the huge capitol doors were opened by police and they people were ALLOWED in. If have not seen that footage watch, then come back and comment

No change , I've always thought you were a bunch of mental cunts .

This, but I was pretty shocked by how easily people managed to get into the Capitol. I assumed doing that would get you shot as soon as you crossed a certain line but apparently you can just walk in there and start fucking with stuff.

That made America look weak imo.

This, but I was pretty shocked by how easily people managed to get into the Capitol. I assumed doing that would get you shot as soon as you crossed a certain line but apparently you can just walk in there and start fucking with stuff.

That made America look weak imo.
soft as shite as UK police are, anyone trying that shit in westminster is getting mp5'd bigly

soft as shite as UK police are, anyone trying that shit in westminster is getting mp5'd bigly

Yeah, that was the thing that got me. If you tried that over here you'd get fucked up and I always think of American police as significantly more trigger happy than ours.

There were 4 years of protest and riots from LGBT, BLM, Antifa and female armed force backed by liberals, silicon valley and every other big corps under Donald Trump.

There will be 4 years of far rights and Maga protest and riots backed by republicans under Biden.

In the end, the country will descend into chaos, balkanized and the US empire is finished.

That’s all I need to know about America now.

the events of the past week have confirmed a belief about america that i have held for the last 5 years. that economic disparity brought about by corrupt politicians in bed with massive corporate wealth will lead to domestic terrorism and civil unrest.

Its frightening. To see the last bastion of freedom and the most free country in the world to start labeling protests as terrorism, snuffing out freedom of speech, and the removal of a competitor by big tech giving twitter a complete monopoly...

It's terrifying if that can happen in the US, what might the rest of the world be moving towards? Honestly I cannot stand it even as a Canadian.

Its frightening. To see the last bastion of freedom and the most free country in the world to start labeling protests as terrorism, snuffing out freedom of speech, and the removal of a competitor by big tech giving twitter a complete monopoly...

It's terrifying if that can happen in the US, what might the rest of the world be moving towards? Honestly I cannot stand it even as a Canadian.

i would not call what happened at the capitol building protest. if they had not broke in and killed people it would be different though.

They seem to have turned the corner on the frequent mass shootings that plagued the country for the past decade or so. It appears that all the nutjobs have gotten heavily invested in politics for now.

White House down and Olympus has fallen def seemed to have lied to me about the defence capabilities of the place.

No way would my countries Parliament House (built inside a hill in the centre of Canberra like a giant bunker) be breached so easily.

It was called an "insurrection" by Biden, and that's technically accurate, even if it doesn't rate as such by international historical standards. Of course the US has an insurrection act which can be invoked by the President to use military force on civil disturbances.
Bush senior invoked it for the LA Riots, and there was clearly rioting here as well.
So it's pretty clear what Biden was preempting by using that description.
...and Trump had said that's exactly what he would do if there was rioting after the election, although of course he was thinking he'd win.

White House down and Olympus has fallen def seemed to have lied to me about the defence capabilities of the place.

No way would my countries Parliament House (built inside a hill in the centre of Canberra like a giant bunker) be breached so easily.

You don't remember?

Yeah, that was the thing that got me. If you tried that over here you'd get fucked up and I always think of American police as significantly more trigger happy than ours.
Yes, you brits have your priorities in order.
What do you think would get a bigger reaction from the queen's constabulary, a Westminster protest or Bazza complaining on facebook that his 11 year old daughter has been missing since going to a kebab shop?
Same question to my dear Billeh (long time lad!) @Billy no mates

The last four years have been a slow buildup to the current boiling point, so I'm not surprised today, nor was I last Wednesday, with what had transpired. If 6 years ago you would have told me that in 2021 the Capitol would be infiltrated by a mob of seditious right wing conspiracy theorists then I would have said you were nuts.

There was a time where I would have considered moving to the U.S. I would have chosen a progressive state like Vermont. I would want to be in a country with the entrepreneurial spirit and opportunities that come with it. I believe whole heartedly in a free market economy. I like American culture and for the most part the people are great. But I'm not willing to enter into political instability and domestic terror threats constantly looming over my shoulder.

I'm just wondering how the country with the biggest military budget in the world let the Capitol building get successfully stormed by the members of Duck Dynasty.

American police and the military are a joke.
That shouldn't have escalated as far as it did.
We have the strongest military in the world

Back