Theory: Dana wants to keep Izzy in the LHW division because he knows Bellator is winning

I agree with the first part, but why do you think Izzy is never going to HW?
Going up 2 divisions is a lot and Izzy would have to put on a lot of weight. Just doubt it happens. I mean, he at least has a bunch of fights at LHW before doing it. If he actually won like 4 fights at LHW, and then needed to gain a bunch of weight, Jones might not even still be fighting. It's not like if he beats Jan he'd be immediately ready to go to HW.

Going up 2 divisions is a lot and Izzy would have to put on a lot of weight. Just doubt it happens. I mean, he at least has a bunch of fights at LHW before doing it. If he actually won like 4 fights at LHW, and then needed to gain a bunch of weight, Jones might not even still be fighting. It's not like if he beats Jan he'd be immediately ready to go to HW.
Would he have to though? He's mentioned feeling comfortable not hitting the max LHW weight, so no reason he wouldn't feel the same towards HW.. Especially against someone like Jones who I highly doubt would come anywhere close to the 266 limit. He's so evasive and fast, coming in lighter than Big dudes like Francis might be at his advantage no?(If fast twitch Yoel couldn't hit him, then whats to say someone way bigger and slower could).

Nothing to suggest he won't just win that 2nd belt and go for the 3rd straight away(or as soon as logistically possible) imo, as a "Champ Champ" he'd be on huge mega fight territory, not many at LHW can fill that role currently and he's already cleaned one division not a ton to prove cleaning another inferior division..

I just can't see how being the first Champ-Champ-Champ via Stipe/Francis/Jones isn't the plan, and if that doesn't pan out and he loses to Jan, then the Jones fight will be the priority(regardless of belts) imo.

I suspect Dana's thinking is he's got guys like Jan, Jiri and Rakic at LHW who are potentially entertaining to watch but he lacks star power now Jones has run away.

Honestly I wouldnt be shocked if Israel vs Nemkov becomes a kind of modern Wanderlei/Shogun vs Chuck debate.

giphy-downsized.gif
You're tearing me apart Lisa!

We all can agree Bellator has a better LHW division. They got Machida, Phil Davis, Yoel and Rumble just signed. Dana knows this and wants to bring Izzy into the fold to make sure Bellator doesn't have a huge advantage because right now they do. That's why Glover vs Jan wasn't booked over Jan vs Izzy.
lol at thinking machida is still a high level fighter.

{<jordan}{<jordan}{<jordan}

Would he have to though? He's mentioned feeling comfortable not hitting the max LHW weight, so no reason he wouldn't feel the same towards HW.. Especially against someone like Jones who I highly doubt would come anywhere close to the 266 limit. He's so evasive and fast, coming in lighter than Big dudes like Francis might be at his advantage no?(If fast twitch Yoel couldn't hit him, then whats to say someone way bigger and slower could).

Nothing to suggest he won't just win that 2nd belt and go for the 3rd straight away(or as soon as logistically possible) imo, as a "Champ Champ" he'd be on huge mega fight territory, not many at LHW can fill that role currently and he's already cleaned one division not a ton to prove cleaning another inferior division..

I just can't see how being the first Champ-Champ-Champ via Stipe/Francis/Jones isn't the plan, and if that doesn't pan out and he loses to Jan, then the Jones fight will be the priority(regardless of belts) imo.
he talked a lot of shit about Jones but then kept saying that he needed time to be able to move up and fight at LHW. It wasn't until Jones left that he moved up. If he wins I doubt he moves up right away, would probably say that he needs more time again. He'd be a tiny HW if he's not even maxing out at 205. And if he loses to Jan, nobody is going to care about him vs. Jones. Jones would be at HW and Izzy would be the guy that lost to a LHW.

ah the original jones ducked izzy posts start from here.

Ufc is shook because of NemkovGOAT

No.

it's because Izzy is a lot more marketable than any top 5 LHW rn. With Reyes losing (usa champ) its a hard sell for a marketable LHW title fight.

AND

Costa/Whittaker are also insanely more marketable than any top 5 LHW. So dana gets to kill 2birds with 1 stone. He gets back 2 marketable champions at once.

its about the $$$

he talked a lot of shit about Jones but then kept saying that he needed time to be able to move up and fight at LHW. It wasn't until Jones left that he moved up. If he wins I doubt he moves up right away, would probably say that he needs more time again. He'd be a tiny HW if he's not even maxing out at 205. And if he loses to Jan, nobody is going to care about him vs. Jones. Jones would be at HW and Izzy would be the guy that lost to a LHW.
thats hard to say re izzy moving up. he had a title fight with pretty boy costa who he raped on the same card that jan beat reyes.

so ofcourse he couldnt move up before that since the fight was scheduled.

and he could easily do a hendo and just come in at 207 but drinking a shit load of water before the weigh ins to and and extra pound.

Pride and strikeforce always had better heavier divisions too but ufc was still considered the main show in town

Yeah there could be something in that, but it's not like he wasn't fully invested in the Costa fight which was massively hyped in it's own right, now there's nothing in LHW post potential belt win remotely as marketable and hype hype as Costa was or Jones/HW Belt would be(Maybe Khamzat by then who knows what his trajectory is), and i'm not saying there isn't challenges at LHW, just no Mega Fights...
He also said he wanted to clean out the MW division so he'd have gone against his word one way or another regardless..(I'd argue he did the more honourable thing and fought all the contenders)

Depends what happens with Jones whether no one cares or not, if Jones goes and gets smashed by Francis or Stipe then Jones vs Izzy becomes possible again.
I'm sure he will need more time, like Jones has needed too, but he could also sit out for a while and see what happens whilst he decides what the best thing to do is, Champ Champ stars get this kind of freedom to decide actions for the most profitable/casual fan favourite fight.

Back