• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Herb Dean Failed His Job Tonight

Did Herb Dean Fail His Job?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kattar never stopped defending himself and was throwing heavy leather back. If the corner wanted the fight stopped then they could have stopped it.

Kattar made himself a lot of money in that fight with a new network audience being exposed to a fighter with a ton of heart. Dana rewards guys like that.
Funny you should say that. Dana does not reward guys like that. He cuts off their paychecks when moneys tight to “make the numbers work” on his new acquisition deal when their CTE is so bad they can’t even get medically cleared to work at Walmart. Just ask Spencer Fisher.

i actually agree with the opening post. that being said, had Herb stopped the fight he'd receive just as much backlash for "stopping the fight too early". that's why it's not easy being a ref; it can be a damned-if-you-do-or-don't situation.

I started to think towards the end of the 4th round that wouldn't it be unfortunate for the sport, for the UFC, and of course for Kattar, if the UFC has its first Octagon casualty on its ABC debut. Fighters - both boxers and mixed martial artists - have died having taken far less damage. I was concerned on several levels, and I'll admit on a selfish level too.......MMA is the only sport I'm passionate about as a spectator sport, and if Kattar dies in there what will be the future of the UFC? Hope he's OK, but because that fight wasn't stopped what does Kattar's distant future look like? I'm assuming that Kattar has had a brain scan by now, or will in the next few days.
Kattar should be taking a full year off at minimum

holy shit people actually disagree? Alright, let’s throw a poll up and y’all can see you’re in a small minority.

Yeah I’m sure a poll on the same forum that would vote for Mike Perry as GOAT would totally validate an opinion...

Again, some of you have forgotten what kind of sport this is. Kattar circled out and fought back hence meeting the criteria of “fighting back/intelligently defending himself”.

<KingstonFrown>

IMO Herb is and has been one of the WORST refs for a LONG time. There were countless times that he used to run in waiving his hands to stop a fight, just to let it go and many, many times when he should have stopped a fight and didn't but for some reason Uncle Dana strokes him and continues to say how good he is instead of criticize him like he did Mazzagatti

Everyone said the same with Glover vs Smith, and Smith was back fighting 3 months later, and another 3 months after that getting 1st round submissions.

the only reason I give a little more slack to them is that they have to think about things like “will my guy forgive me”, “am I taking bread off the table” etc...does it justify it? No. Does it make it easier for me to understand? Yes

Herb Dean has 1 job. Protect the fighters. He failed his one and only job.

I thinks its worse that they know him better. If they know he isn't going to quit then they need to protect him from his own bravado and pull him out. Even Marco Antonio Barrera's corner knew when to throw in the Towel when Pacquiao was battering him.

Diaz vs Masvidal gets stopped on the biggest stage of combat sports.... but Herb told Kattar "come home with your shield or on it..."

I am still angered by that Nate stoppage and Trump was in the crowd and they stopped it early. Missed opportunity it would have been a dog-fight if they let it go

Everyone said the same with Glover vs Smith, and Smith was back fighting 3 months later, and another 3 months after that getting 1st round submissions.
CTE doesn’t display itself immediately. You can be fine right after the fight, but the long term effects can be devastating

Corner's fault, he was out on his feet.

If this was boxing it probably would have been stopped but Kattar was still throwing with some heat so you can't fault Herb.

CTE doesn’t display itself immediately. You can be fine right after the fight, but the long term effects can be devastating
CTE can happen from anything though they all know the risks.. getting on a Rollercoaster can give you CTE but nobody second thinks that.

Diaz vs Masvidal gets stopped on the biggest stage of combat sports.... but Herb told Kattar "come home with your shield or on it..."
That’s just it, well stop it because oh no he could get blood in his eye vs this.....?

Herb dean was never my friend. I have always thought that Herb was one of the biggest shams ever

CTE can happen from anything though they all know the risks.. getting on a Rollercoaster can give you CTE but nobody second thinks that.
Of course. I could walk into a door and get CTE. But this is obviously and extreme circumstance and you’re acting like “he’ll get up and be fine” when we all know that’s not the case.

the only reason I give a little more slack to them is that they have to think about things like “will my guy forgive me”, “am I taking bread off the table” etc...does it justify it? No. Does it make it easier for me to understand? Yes

Herb Dean has 1 job. Protect the fighters. He failed his one and only job
That is not his one and only job. His job is to enforce the rules and maintain order inside the cage. At no point did Kattar get knocked down or turn his back to Max. He still threw strikes back and looked for ways to win. This "protect the fighters bullshit" is something Joe Rogan or some other dipshit conjured. The onus is more on the fighter's corner than the ref.

Of course. I could walk into a door and get CTE. But this is obviously and extreme circumstance and you’re acting like “he’ll get up and be fine” when we all know that’s not the case.
If I were Herb, i'd have probably stopped it, If I were friends with him i'd want it stopped.. But as a fight fan, I don't want it stopped.. I sacrifice apart of my empathy watching any fight.

He could be fine, i'm no doctor, they have doctors there right? they could always stop it if they are worried no?

Kattar corner shouldve thrown the towel.. but as far as herb dean. Kattar was responding trying to move and throwing back the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back