What music do white kids listen to nowadays?

It’s such a sad state of affairs that DJ Smoothbrain is dominating the charts.

No one is listening to rock these days who is under like 25 - its all hip hop/country/pop. Rock is basically dead.
Do you think that is a result of rap killing off rock? Seems like at some point it wasnt cool anymore to listen to rock. Rock music in the past had these larger than life stars who all the guys wanted to be like and all the girls wanted to be with. Now it's all rappers that fill those roles. The only rock station in my city plays older stuff. I don't even know what modern rock sounds like other than cold play or maroon 5 or some shit like that. But if was a young white kid and I had to choose between those guys or someone like travis scott or dababy that's out there living the rockstar lifestyle like those guys from the 80s, it seems like an easy pick to me

By far it’s hip hop, the bad kind. Trap mumble rap.

This is the correct answer. Look at the music white kids dance to on Tiktok. It's all rap music.

Scumbag rappers like Tekashi69 and Lil Pump get hundreds of millions of views on the regular.

This video with Future and Drake has exceeded 1.5 BILLION views in just one year. No other genre touches those numbers except for maybe K-Pop.

Do you think that is a result of rap killing off rock? Seems like at some point it wasnt cool anymore to listen to rock. Rock music in the past had these larger than life stars who all the guys wanted to be like and all the girls wanted to be with. Now it's all rappers that fill those roles. The only rock station in my city plays older stuff. I don't even know what modern rock sounds like other than cold play or maroon 5 or some shit like that. But if was a young white kid and I had to choose between those guys or someone like travis scott or dababy that's out there living the rockstar lifestyle like those guys from the 80s, it seems like an easy pick to me
It’s a top down phenomenon. The music industry is pushing the rap and hip hop. It’s about control of the youths culture. They also ruined country music by making it “pop-country”

back in the day the industry would find out what people liked and then amplified it to make money.

now they just tell people what they will like. They have that kind of control now

Last edited:
It’s a top down phenomenon. The music industry is pushing the rap and hip hop. It’s about control of the youths culture. They also ruined country music by making it “pop-country”

back in the day the indirect would find out what people liked and then amplified it to make money.

now they just tell people what they will like. They have that kind of control now
Do they? I feel like youtube and social media let's the masses pick there music more so than before

You're missing the most powerful factor: The internet. No other genre lends itself to the internet and social media bullshit like rap music.

Think about what it takes to be a rock musician. Learning an instrument, forming a band, writing songs and practicing. It's a lot of time and effort.

Think about what it takes to be a mumble rapper: Internet access. That's it. Guys have become big stars off of Soundcloud, I'm not kidding.

Yeah seems like its less about music and more about rap culture that appeals to kids. Video games, weed, girls, etc. There are rap concerts when they are playing fortnite, etc. lol

It's just more mainstream and what they see most often in their social media feeds like tik-toks etc.

No one is listening to rock these days who is under like 25 - its all hip hop/country/pop. Rock is basically dead.
Wtf you're saying country is more popular than rock? I find that hard to believe even among millennials @HHJ

Wtf you're saying country is more popular than rock? I find that hard to believe even among millennials @HHJ
I don't know what kids listen to these days, but modern country is basically pop sung with a Southern twang.

Not like it is now. The biggest rappers in the 90s weren't selling as many records as the biggest pop and rock stars of those times

Edit

by the 2000s hipHop was all over the place. The 90s made that possible. Hip hop has been huge for a long time now. People shouldn’t be surprised it’s still popular

I'm a millenial, my situation may be different since I'm from texas but I remember in school the actual cool white kids who played sports and stuff like that were mostly in to country. The white kids who listened to rock were mostly misfits like skaters, goths, nerds stuff like that. Maybe stuff like nickelback was cool to the girls but not the guys. Nowadays I imagine the ratio is even worse for rock music

The very fact your kid bought vinyl shows he is an outlier. I really respect his good taste and that he is truly delving into music, appreciating artists 20 or even 30 years before his time.

But he is definitely not representative of his generation.

I have a few of those on CD up in my attic. I was like, "bruh, you didn't have to buy those. You can have my CDs."

And he goes, "CDs?! What year is this, 2004?"

<LikeReally5>

Get him to crank that deltron 3030 album, that's one of my favourites.

Hell yes! Great album.

It's true, unfortunately. There have been no rock bands in the past 10 years that have matched the listenership of acts like Luke Bryan, Luke Combs, Brett Young, etc.

Stuff like this gets hundreds of millions of views.

Back