Social Texas mayor resigns after telling "lazy" constituents to stop "whining" about power outages and cold

I tried to go to buy parts to help my cousin get her water back on yesterday, you could get anywhere near lowes or home depot. I went to the plumbing supply place and waited 30 minutes outside before going to the counter, talking with plumbers we are seeing crap no one thought could or would happen. Pipes on interior walls breaking, hot water lines breaking from leaving the cold running over night.

and to add insult to injury many cities have lost water completely (because people leaving water running to avoid broken pipes), extremely low water pressure and boil advisories where they still have water

It's hard for people in the South to judge how much water flow is needed considering in some places it got into negative degrees. I know in the Hill Country it got down to 6. At those temperatures, a slow drip from a faucet in a house without heat will cause the water to freeze on the inside wall of the pipe causing it to be insulated from any outside heat. In a short period of time that freezing will accelerate and then bust a pipe. Plumbers are going to be working overtime just to get people running water. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of more widespread price gouging seeing as it might take a month to get everything fixed.

Good luck man. The last thing I would want to fuck with in that cold is water.

Most people in Texas don't know this kind of stuff though because they've never had to deal with it.
Instead of the mayor being a jackass, that's the type of info that he should have been posting on social media.
This. If people don’t do this they can get thousands of $ of damage from burst pipes .

That's awesome. I completely agree with him. But the government needs to stop asking for handouts.

People really need to stand on their own 2 feet and realize they are responsible for their own assurances and the government will only oppress them with water, power, money, etc, etc.

Would be awesome if people emancipated themselves from the grid and grind.

I like the way he's talking.
You wouldn't last a month off the grid. Get out of here with this BS

That was a stupid thing to say.

He is right you are not owed anything but the city and power company should be helping where they can.

The point is, Texas Repubs are passing the buck on what was a completely preventable crisis by spreading disinformation. The bulk of electrical blackouts were from fossil fuels. Inadequate infrastructure maintenance seems to be the catalyst. But rather than lead, ya know....by acknowledging your failures and resolving to fix the problem, they're politicizing it. And the attempt is so transparent that it has to be called out.
it's a huge screw up, I'd like to think the power grid is a non political agency and its looking like everything went wrong, the wind shut down when the storm hit and generators in the power plants followed, even the supply chain of natural gas has been interrupted

25% of their electricity is from wind. Highest percentage in the nation. A horrific and super rare storm came. Eh, shit happens. People are pussies these days.

Back in California I remember we go hit by a storm, got buried in 5 feet of snow and lost power for two weeks. LoL. Nobody cared. Fridge contents were put in snow and we dealt with it.

Why aren't you upset at the 40% of natural gas power gen that shutdown? Is it a much larger number than wind power? Maybe because you are a partisan hack?

Texas does not design its infrastructure for these temperatures and only designs for flood or hurricane winds. Windmills work everywhere else in the world at much colder temperature but you can't make that connect?

I'm working on a project for an LNG export terminal. Part of government regulation is that the foundation under the storage tank should be heated if there is the possibility of frost heave. This was not implemented in the original design because the temp never gets low enough for the ground to freeze like that. Something tells me PHMSA might start requiring mitigation to this. After the $100 million storage tank has already been built.

Last edited:
That was a stupid thing to say.

He is right you are not owed anything but the city and power company should be helping where they can.

So based on this logic, the riots in Portland were a problem for the people and not because of law enforcement being held back?

Then why pay taxes? Soy is giving a huge percent of every dollar you make to the government so they can maintain the power grid and pipes, and then defending them when they fail to do so.
Because you have to under the threat of violence. They have already proven they can't maintain control of anything, why would you think they would be able to do anything significant during an emergency situation? People are going to learn self reliablity one way or another. The hard way, or the easy way. Millions of people running around trusting their bottom line to others. Fail city.

So based on this logic, the riots in Portland were a problem for the people and not because of law enforcement being held back?

Thats not even close to the same thing. Heat and food are not the governments responsible to provide for you.

That doesn't mean in a situation like this the company and the government shouldn't be trying to help, they should.

People knew the storm was coming and should have taken steps to prepare, we do it here all the time.

However like I said the government power company morality should be doing what they can to help.

Because you have to under the threat of violence. They have already proven they can't maintain control of anything, why would you think they would be able to do anything significant during an emergency situation? People are going to learn self reliablity one way or another. The hard way, or the easy way. Millions of people running around trusting their bottom line to others. Fail city.

Ok. I'd like to see your city just shut off your utilities for a month with no warning. You better not complain about it. You wouldn't want someone to think you are a soyboy.

it's a huge screw up, I'd like to think the power grid is a non political agency and its looking like everything went wrong, the wind shut down when the storm hit and generators in the power plants followed, even the supply chain of natural gas has been interrupted

A complete and utter failure largely brought on by ineptitude.

Ok. I'd like to see your city just shut off your utilities for a month with no warning. You better not complain about it. You wouldn't want someone to think you are a soyboy.
No one's utilities have been shut off for a month, and even if they were. I wouldn't be sitting around crying about why no one will help me. I would be out accumulating resources.

Why aren't you upset at the 40% of natural gas power gen that shutdown? Is it a much larger number than wind power? Maybe because you are a partisan hack?

Texas does not design its infrastructure for these temperatures and only designs for flood or hurricane winds. Windmills work everywhere else in the world at much colder temperature but you can't make that connect?

I'm working on a project for an LNG export terminal. Part of government regulation is that the foundation under the storage tank should be heated if there is the possibility of frost heave. This was not implemented in the original design because the temp never gets low enough for the ground to freeze like that. Something tells me PHMSA might start requiring mitigation to this. After the $100 million storage tank has already been built.

Shit happens. So what? Omg. No power. Oh no. PG&E shut my power off weeks at a time in 2019. LoL. Gotta just deal with it.

Thats not even close to the same thing. Heat and food are not the governments responsible to provide for you.

That doesn't mean in a situation like this the company and the government shouldn't be trying to help, they should.

People knew the storm was coming and should have taken steps to prepare, we do it here all the time.

However like I said the government power company morality should be doing what they can to help.

I hear you. I was taking a stab at the "you aren't owed anything". The problem with this storm talking to friends is that no one believed it could happen.

We pay an absurd amount of taxes precisely to maintain infrastructure. Its absolutely the government's responsibility to maintain it? Am I supposed to go de-ice the fucking windmills?

Its not just people these are mostly game fish in one of our bay systems, it will takes 10-15 years to get back to where we were a couple days ago.

Back