Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

Yeah it strikes me as kind of a phony good will gesture to gamers. Mid tier gpus aren’t generally used for mining anyways to my knowledge. This way they pretend like they’re doing something about while still letting miners use their cards for mining since they were going for 3080s and 3090s anyways

RX470's and RX480's were the preferred card during the 2nd big crypto boom.

The 4080? Hasn't been announced yet. Nvidia might still do a 30 series super release too, I suppose.

I'm just generically referring to their next high-end card.
The whole thing is so discouraging. I really want to upgrade my rig in the coming months but all the fucking CryptoCunts have bots buying everything up for them

On the flipside...
BREAKING: NVIDIA Fights Back Miners With Crippled RTX 3060 Mining Performance And New CMP Cores ⛏

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-not-reduce-3060-ti-3070-3080-3090-eth-mining

giphy.gif

They won't nerf the mining capability of existing GPUs, but the new CMP cores are an entirely different architecture aimed at cryptominers in an effort to keep them from buying up gaming GPUs. While it isn't clear how much those will compete with gaming GPUs for foundry production space, it's another welcome development.

I look at it another way they want crytominers to pay a higher price for their mining rigs by using more expensive GPU's making Nvidia more money. I would not be surprised in the least if this means fewer RTX 3060 will be sold by Nvidia. Color me skeptical because Nvidia is a profit machine since day one and only AMD has been keeping them lower price. It will be interesting if AMD follow suit with their own GPU's but Nvidia way more popular in that space.

Why would people buy a 3060 when the 3090 exists? I understand price, but if they are instantly selling out every 3090 they can make you'd think they would keep pumping those out.

I guess another issue is people who buy a 3090 won't need to upgrade nearly as soon so they are a less frequent customer.

Does anyone know someone who won a Newegg shuffle? I’m convinced they get 1 in and make a shuffle to “auction” it off. I’ve enrolled in every one for the past month. My friends are in same boat. Nothing.

Why would people buy a 3060 when the 3090 exists? I understand price, but if they are instantly selling out every 3090 they can make you'd think they would keep pumping those out.

I guess another issue is people who buy a 3090 won't need to upgrade nearly as soon so they are a less frequent customer.
I think the 3090 buyers are the more frequent customers that want the most powerful GPU every year.... The 3080 would be the ones that are probably less frequent

Microcenter finally got some new GPUs in.

<DCWhoa>

A few 1660s.

<26>
I’d kill for a 1660 super right about now. Nothing at my “local” micro center. Even if they had them, it’s a 90 minute drive to maybe be able to get one.

I’d kill for a 1660 super right about now. Nothing at my “local” micro center. Even if they had them, it’s a 90 minute drive to maybe be able to get one.
Yeah and they’ll be sold out by the time you arrive. There are scalpers who work at the store and buy one and resell it online.

Yeah and they’ll be sold out by the time you arrive. There are scalpers who work at the store and buy one and resell it online.

I've actually had a few coworkers get one just walking into the store randomly. They go to get stuff for our clients and boom it's in stock. My coworker said there is people in line every morning though so I'm not sure how they are getting them unless it's some sort of midday shipment.

I've actually had a few coworkers get one just walking into the store randomly. They go to get stuff for our clients and boom it's in stock. My coworker said there is people in line every morning though so I'm not sure how they are getting them unless it's some sort of midday shipment.
Lucky I guess LOL.

anyone have a Secret Lab chair?

Haha, well, Linus is even more cynical than the forum. You're all right, of course. This was the same company that just tried to blackball Hardware Unboxed. They're ruthless, and they only care about money.

HP are buying Hyper X from Kingston (Kingston are keeping the SSD, Flash and Dram products though )

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/24/22298904/hp-acquires-hyperx-kingston-announcement

HP has announced that it is acquiring gaming peripheral company HyperX for $425 million. The purchase will give HP a major foothold in the gaming accessory market.

This transaction will result in HP buying the HyperX brand from Kingston, the current owner of HyperX, but GP notes in the announcement post that “Kingston will retain the DRAM, flash, and SSD products for gamers and enthusiasts.”

HP has been making strides to enter the gaming peripheral space for the last several years, but has not gained much traction compared to other brands such as Corsair and Logitech. HyperX is one of the most notable brands in this space, with gaming accessories ranging from PC gaming peripherals to gaming microphones.

Reactions: PEB
Haha, well, Linus is even more cynical than the forum. You're all right, of course. This was the same company that just tried to blackball Hardware Unboxed. They're ruthless, and they only care about money.

Linus has hit that point where he doesn't need the big companies like Nvidia to survive anymore and it shows. He went hard with the Hardware Unboxed fiasco, he wouldn't have done that 4 years ago.

JFC, are you kidding me?

Sennheiser and HyperX in the same week? These are the two headsets I wear. 2021 is getting off to a worse start than 2020. Fuck this year.

R.I.P.

Do you use any kind of mic with your Sennheisers. I'm looking at upgrading from the SHP9500 & Vmoda Boom Pro combo.

Back