going vegan or vegetarian!!!

I would highly recommend it.

Dont worry about all these dudes telling you not to just because it goes against how their mommies raised them.

But if your gonna do it, do it right. Dont be a junk food/potato chip veg. You have to pay attention to what your eating. Give it six months, and youll feel better than ever.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/health.html

I would highly recommend it.

Dont worry about all these dudes telling you not to just because it goes against how their mommies raised them.

But if your gonna do it, do it right. Dont be a junk food/potato chip veg. You have to pay attention to what your eating. Give it six months, and youll feel better than ever.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/health.html

lol you apparently haven't read the arguments in this thread. It's not about how you are being raised. It is about the fact that being vegan is suboptimal for an athlete. A clean omnivorous diet is a better choice if your reason for going vegan is for performance/health and not for moral reasons.

lol you apparently haven't read the arguments in this thread.

I read some of them. My post was directed towards the folks that like to hold a strong negative opinion of the plant based diet while having done little to no research into its virtues/benefits.

You can be an exceptional athlete on a plant based diet. See Carl Lewis, Bill Pearl, Desmond Howard, Scott Jurek, etc... Theres nothing in meat, that you cant get from a carefully planned vegan diet. Its just a little harder to get your full spectrum of aminos, but not impossible. In fact, you can avoid all of the harmful elements such as fat, cholesterol, and hormones & antibiotics thats pumped into food animals on north american factory farms.

Beleive me....the meat people eat today is far from the meat our parents, grandparents, etc.....ate.

I read some of them. My post was directed towards the folks that like to hold a strong negative opinion of the plant based diet while having done little to no research into its virtues/benefits.

You can be an exceptional athlete on a plant based diet. See Carl Lewis, Bill Pearl, Desmond Howard, Scott Jurek, etc... Theres nothing in meat, that you cant get from a carefully planned vegan diet. Its just a little harder to get your full spectrum of aminos, but not impossible. In fact, you can avoid all of the harmful elements such as fat, cholesterol, and hormones & antibiotics thats pumped into food animals on north american factory farms.

Beleive me....the meat people eat today is far from the meat our parents, grandparents, etc.....ate.

What's wrong with fat?
What's wrong with grass-fed meat?

What's wrong with fat?
What's wrong with grass-fed meat?

Are you asking whats wrong with "Saturated Fat", the type found in meat?

If so, it clogs your arteries which impedes circulation. Also causes heart disease and is the #1 cause of colon cancer.

If Grass-Fed implies that the animal is raised without synthetic hormones to speed growth and without antibiotics, then you need only worry about the saturated fat.

Some saturated fat is needed. Any dietician or doctor with half a brain wil tell you that. As for the complete aminos from veggies. Obviously you are the one not reading anything my friend. I put a link in this thread to two doctors debating this exact thing. Both of whom are in the top 10 of nutrition.

Grass fed is healthier than some fish. Now put down the silly propoganga and get a clue man, especially on the saturated fat issue lol.

Are you asking whats wrong with "Saturated Fat", the type found in meat?

If so, it clogs your arteries which impedes circulation. Also causes heart disease and is the #1 cause of colon cancer.

If Grass-Fed implies that the animal is raised without synthetic hormones to speed growth and without antibiotics, then you need only worry about the saturated fat.

So saturated fat in moderation you are against it seems?

Not even to help with testosterone production?

So saturated fat in moderation you are against it seems?

Not even to help with testosterone production?

No, im not against moderate comsumption of saturated fat. By all means, eat as much of it as you want.

If thats what youve got to do to maintain/regulate testosterone production, who am I to say dont do it.

Look here folks. Diet is a matter of personal choice. I dont know why, but carnivores/omnivores tend to get very offensive when confronted with evidence of the health problems their diet causes. This is perfectly understandable. Its very hard after being raised on a certain diet, to make such a drastic change. Its not for everyone, I understand that.

As do hippies. I posted proof that paleolithic(red meat is in there man) against a mediteranean diet, although it was more american if you ask me. Anyways it showed lower tryglycerides etc in the meat eating group, as well as a smaller waist circumfrance which is the key indicator in diabeties and heart disease.

Or as I said you could just read "the protein debate"

You tell us how to act, not be on the offensive, but you are being just as damn ignorant as the other hippies in this thread.

Diet is a matter of personal choice.

It is? I thought it was a matter of efficiently fueling the body in order to maintain optimal health and conditioning, and the illusion (or delusion) that it's personal choice is what is destroying people's Health.

It is? I thought it was a matter of efficiently fueling the body in order to maintain optimal health and conditioning, and the illusion (or delusion) that it's personal choice is what is destroying people's Health.

Sure it is, you choose your diet ill choose mine. Thats about as personal as it gets. The difference is your going to hold the fact that im an herbivore against me, while ill base my opinion of you on non diet related factors. Optimum heatlh/performance is acheivable with many types of diets.

But to be honest with you, ive had this argument enough to realize im wasting my time. So im headed back to the O/T.

Sure it is, you choose your diet ill choose mine. Thats about as personal as it gets. The difference is your going to hold the fact that im an herbivore against me, while ill base my opinion of you on non diet related factors. Optimum heatlh/performance is acheivable with many types of diets.

But to be honest with you, ive had this argument enough to realize im wasting my time. So im headed back to the O/T.

lol Nice of you to tell me precisely what I'm going to do, when I haven't done anything of the sort "against" you. Very objective, as is splitting right when you make such an improperly assumptive and judgmental statement.

That's what I'll base my opinion on, your actions.

Some saturated fat is needed. Any dietician or doctor with half a brain wil tell you that. As for the complete aminos from veggies. Obviously you are the one not reading anything my friend. I put a link in this thread to two doctors debating this exact thing. Both of whom are in the top 10 of nutrition.

Grass fed is healthier than some fish. Now put down the silly propoganga and get a clue man, especially on the saturated fat issue lol.

Cant get aminos from "veggies". Only meat, nuts, seeds, grains, etc...

At least you have a semi-educated opinion....congrats.

lol Nice of you to tell me precisely what I'm going to do, when I haven't done anything of the sort "against" you. Very objective, as is splitting right when you make such an improperly assumptive and judgmental statement.

That's what I'll base my opinion on, your actions.

Sounds good, beats judging someone by their diet. Which I didnt mean to imply was what you did. But it does happen often though, so I think I assumed thats what was going on, and I appologize.

I've said before that I personally don't care what anyone does. What people do with their bodies is their business. My problem is when people do one of two things:

1) Act as if their decisions is some invoking of another step of human evolution, somehow making them either intellectually, or physiologically superior to any other human.

2) Attempt to recruit people to their agenda. We can't all eat plants, or there would be dire global consequences. We can't all only eat animals either, or even factory pseudo-food.

People are allowed to have their coping mechanisms. Someone wants to cry about animals dying, or protest the Government, great. But there won't be any taking one thing and calling it something else. We're not going to take being an omnivore and call it "cruelty", we're not going to take something that has yet to be scientifically verified thoroughly where we know the ins and outs of it and call it "just as good as", that'd be irresponsible.

seems like most of the veggies are on edge...all you have to do is mention meat is healthy and they can't handle it; i wonder why that is? :icon_chee

Cant get aminos from "veggies". Only meat, nuts, seeds, grains, etc...

At least you have a semi-educated opinion....congrats.

Lol, now you are trying to tell me where aminos come from lol. Nice, hippies that can't read other opinions, yet expect people to cater to theirs.

That sounds about right:rolleyes:

Everyone take a breath, ha! I'm glad to see there is another vegan in here, but lets just calm down, ha! We are all educated enough to know different ways to fuel our bodies. Some want to not eat omnivorous diet and others do, no big deal.

KK - you're definitely a lot more intelligent and civil in the conversation than a lot of people I've run into. Like OTH said, there are many people that are judge people by their diet if it's way beyond the norm for them. My wife has lost friends since becoming vegan, It's pretty sad to tell you the truth.

Anyway, all of us here seem to be a little more intelligent than that.

:- )

KK - you're definitely a lot more intelligent and civil in the conversation than a lot of people I've run into. Like OTH said, there are many people that are judge people by their diet if it's way beyond the norm for them. My wife has lost friends since becoming vegan, It's pretty sad to tell you the truth.

If she lost friends over it, then they were never friends to begin with.

However, I will say one thing. More vegetarians/vegans I've met are antagonists about the whole issue. I've experienced many who say "if you know what happens to animals and you still eat meat, then something is wrong with you" and other such nonsense that are very judgmental, but then they want people to sympathize or empathize with their cause. That doesn't make much sense.

One of my biggest pet peves that I myself have had confrontations over is that many people who choose such diets will come to my house and either not eat the prepared food and bring their own food, or demand food that meets their needs. Only in a place like America can people pull this. In almost any other Country that's extremely poor etiquette, and yet the reverse is almost never the case. I've attempted to dine with many vegetarian/vegan practitioners who won't even entertain the idea of being around someone eating meat.

Those kinds of things are what create the animosity, as are the converse, very rude and insensitive omnivores. I'm an insensitive omnivore, insensitive towards the animals primarily because when push comes to shove there's enough shit to cry about other than how my food gets murdered. But that's just me. The way I see it if I'm to serve you salad at MY home because of your choice, you should serve me steak at yours because of mine. Fair is fair.

Back