Paul vs. Askren Fight Week Megathread (from Heavies please do not merge)

Who wins the boxing match on Triller on April 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here on Sherdog the majority picked Ben to win in polls.

Was it wishful thinking? or did people actually believe that he would win, despite his atrocious hands just because he was a real fighter without any boxing experience?

Drop a comment and explain to me your thought process when you predicted this fight.

Did the pad work really convince that many people? Even tho he looked god awful, worse than I imagined tbh.

Also, it was a legitimate stoppage. He should thank the ref that a meme isn't posted all over social media of him gurgling on his own spit while laying cross-eyed on the floor.

Most people thought: "Ben is gonna win because he was a professional competitor and Jake Paul is only a youtuber."

Sure as hell no one thought that motherfuckers would fix the fight with that blatant outcome.

Only thing more embarassing that ben gettingnkod in 2 mins is the fsct ppl thought he could win at all.

Jorge was afraid to throw hands with a guy Jake Paul knocked out in one round. Wow. Masvidal was smart to quickly befriend Paul. He does not want that smoke.
He wasn't affraid to throw hands, he would've got taken down obviously.

But was a genius move by Paul to orchestrate a situation where he could get paid to box a wrestler.
A KO is a KO is all it looks like as a meme so he stole Masvidals card with that one.

Sure as hell no one thought that motherfuckers would fix the fight with that blatant outcome.
So you are saying that Ben took the bag and decided to flush his entire legacy as a competitor down the toilet? I thought Ben was rich because of his investments in crypto?

I think things are getting overblown. You had an MMA fighter who is a piss poor boxer step in the ring with a strong, athletic guy who isn’t great at boxing either but knows enough to knock out cans. MMA is a multifaceted sport and even today in 2021, the majority of fighters are not completely well rounded but just know enough of everything to play their real strengths.

MMA’s legacy was not hurt just like all the boxers that went to MMA and got tapped. Askren’s legacy, however, did get hurt. He’s been around MMA for a long time and despite that he did not pick up enough boxing skills to avoid getting KO’d by a YouTuber in the first round.

I’d like Jake Paul try this with a real striker from MMA. Or Jake Paul should rematch in MMA with Askren.

I picked Jake

Reasoning
Askren vs Maia
Jakes got pep in his pop
Im also confident id beat Ben in boxing before this happened

Edit:Also guys Ben didn't take a dive he answered the 10 count blame the ref IF you need to blame someone but Ben was going down again after that anyways

Was it worth it though? He said he’s already got the CTE LOL probably got a little more from this fight too

Jake Paul is massively underestimated here. He’s a legit boxing prospect. Here’s why:

- he started boxing still being young, being around 20 years old
- he was a very talented and athletic guy when he started
- he has boxed for 3,5 years already
- he started with best coaches and best sparring partners, dedicating himself to boxing almost full time
- he has competed 4 times at world stage against increasingly better competition

The way he fought last night, he looked like a high level pro boxer. Usually guys aren’t even close to his level after 3 years of boxing. I would say he’s as good as any other pro boxer with a 3-0 record. If he continues like that, he could actually fight top guys down the road.

I wonder now how Logan will look against Floyd

with the age and size gap you keep making this fight annually until Paul wins lol. It’s perfect

Ben looked pretty dumpy and intimidated. Dannis isn’t a big name I think he should rematch Ben in mma.

F#$% the purity of sport, F*#$ deserving title shots or any of that other BS. Professional sports are a business. The world hates Jake Paul but he is Mayweather-esque brilliant when it comes to building a brand off of haters. If you want to capture the next generation of casual fight fans you astronomically overpay to have your guy be the "hero" that knocks out the social media villian.

I mean he challenged one of the worst strikers of all time to a boxing match. That is NOT an accomplishment lol
I don't like the guy, however he's a YouTuber and challenged a two organisation MMA champ, he deserves a little credit.

You don't care for Ben or his family that is for sure. He was done and I'm glad that the ref made the right decision. In the heat of the moment, it's easy to forget that Ben has a family that loves him and as of right now that is all he got. We know how dangerous boxing is and Ben was about to be made an example of just that. In MMA that is over. In boxing he either get's dropped 2 more times or knocked out cold. Worst case scenario dead...

You were one of the people that predicted Ben to win.
tenor.gif

You don't care for Ben or his family that is for sure. He was done and I'm glad that the ref made the right decision. In the heat of the moment, it's easy to forget that Ben has a family that loves him and as of right now that is all he got. We know how dangerous boxing is and Ben was about to be made an example of just that.

You were one of the people that predicted Ben to win.
tenor.gif
<YeahOKJen>

Maybe he just sucks at boxing.
Maybe. But maybe the celebrity world has a lot to gain by one of theirs knocking out a mixed martial artist with a respectable record which to them is like beating them at their own game. They were all rooting for Paul too it’s no secret

Back