Karo Parisyan: I don't think I was that good of a fighter...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I remember when Karo lost few fights, he went quite and they did an interview and asked him "What makes you so good as a fighter"

At 0:55 seconds mark:

Karo's response "I don't im that good of a fighter but judo prevails with a lot of guys and I am blessed with the judo throws"

Fucking hell man, look even a guy who gets shit on because of his "Do you know who I am bro" as enough since of realism to admit that he was not as good as he thought. But you know what! Fuck he was still damn good!

Fought his way to the title shot, got injured and never got it back.

Also he did a match against a giant MMA fighter who was also a judoka himself and Karo won!

Losing a fight is one of the most humbling things that can happen to you.

A lot of fighters actually are humble in person because they have their limits tested regularly. I know this sounds odd coming off of a McGregor event.

Last edited:
Karo is a guy who just seemed to fall off the face of the earth. He was a top 10 WW then completely disappeared. Always wondered what happened to him. He was an entertaining fighter back in the day because he had the unusual style with the judo throws. His fight with Diego was a war.

he had some pretty serious issues. Hope he is doing alright.

But he was very good during his era. It took prime Thiago Alves to kinda end things with a crazy knee

Still go down as having whooped prime Nick Diaz ass

I remember Nicks prefight interview
"It's kind of a bad matchup for me, I don't know, I'll do my best..."

People always focus on the Nate incident but he legit whooped Nick.

He matured and his arrogance changed into real confidence and self
Reflection.

People who scream “You know who I am bro?!” Are insecure.

Karo is older and more mature now.

Karo is a guy who just seemed to fall off the face of the earth. He was a top 10 WW then completely disappeared. Always wondered what happened to him. He was an entertaining fighter back in the day because he had the unusual style with the judo throws. His fight with Diego was a war.

He became addicted to painkillers, sadly. I think he cleaned himself up later on but it was far too late.

Still go down as having whooped prime Nick Diaz ass

I remember Nicks prefight interview
"It's kind of a bad matchup for me, I don't know, I'll do my best..."

People always focus on the Nate incident but he legit whooped Nick.

I will never forget that moment. That and when I did judo and got launched in the air, I knew how frightening a judokas can be. Regardless of her personality, Ronda was feared for a reason and it was a very valid one. Judo is no joke!

Imagine if MMA was around in the 80s and Mike Tyson was some CRAZY Boxing/Judo beast who would slip inside, throw hooks and uppercuts, clinch and launch you in to the orbit. He would have been the perfect boxing/judo hybrid fighter!

He was humbled.

Put some perspective on his ego.

Thanks for the link to the judo match!

Anytime, Karo was a beast and his grappling skills overall was no joke. Amazing submission and Nick Diaz put him in a Kimura deep and Karo got out of it. It was the most insane escape.

Karo also used to roll with guys like Tito Ortiz who was also an amazing wrestler in his prime. Tito and Randy mentioned that Karo was a beast of a human being.

Obviously biased but Judo is a fantastic art that is underutilized because it’s not Americanized and Judo were taught that Judo is so great you don’t need other things. The best Judokas don’t do mma and those who do are stuck in an old school mentality so think it’s weak to train other arts, cut weight etc. The politics in it are also horrendous and have ruined the sport. However all these cage grinding wrestlers are begging to get tossed on their head with a nice clean Judo throw and seeing one will always impress me.

He got addicted to pain killers, he was never the same.

Back