Why are they not promoting Nunes like they did with Ronda?

Yes, he felt like he had to play a certain role to appeal to the UFC's audience. As in he felt forced into that role. That's not a poor JJ comment, that's just explaining why he presented himself the way he did.

Again, you’re making shit up. Completely. You’re basing it on nothing but your own prejudice and bias.

Here’s an article on his brother chandler.
https://www.christianpost.com/news/...mily-brought-him-to-new-england-patriots.html

Arthur Jones Jr. and Camille Jones, the parents of Chandler and his brothers, said they were not worried about their youngest son having issues adapting to the life of professional sports because of the faith instilled in him. Arthur Jones Jr. was a pastor and said his children learned the importance of making God and family their priority.

"They know the importance of prayer. They know the importance of family. And they know the importance of God," Mr. Jones said in a Syracuse.com report.

It seems Chandler learned from his father, and has used his faith as an influence in his career. On his Twitter page, Chandler's biography reads, "with God anything is possible..Jesus is real!"
I know….it’s all made up because they feel forced to act that way by white society……

Yeah, I didn't say MM wasn't popular because he's black. You ascribe motive to simple observations that isn't there.

SMH. You’re arguing they have trouble making black fighters popular………now race has nothing to do with it??? Lol…..

Where did I say he was forced by the UFC? Again, you imagine things. Me saying Jon Jones felt forced into a certain role doesn't mean I think that's the UFC's doing.
You’re making that up…..and you’re suggesting the ufc has trouble promoting black fighters…..

This I can understand.

But to say it’s only because she’s not white without additional context is ridiculous.
Shes a lesbian, looks ugly as shit because of it like a michael jackson impersonsantor, doesnt promote herself much. Yeah i think that covers it. Gina was hot and a good fighter. Ronda was presentbale and always fun to see.

Jon Jones is a fuck up in that regard, but it would be dishonest to not mention how he felt he was forced to be marketed because he was a black athlete. He had to really lean into the "I love Jesus, I'm an amazing guy who can do no wrong, etc." Essentially a redux of the Joe Louis approach to a combat sports athlete.

Reality is the how he felt is not important, important is how he behave, like a pampered brat kid with no fear to consequences, he cheated and was protected by the UFC, hide from drug tests and was protected, battery, run and hit, felony and the UFC protected him but he "felt forced to give a good impression because was black", news for him: he is very lucky that the UFC was behind him otherwise very likely he would be in jail.

In his mind, by his handlers, and the UFC reinforced it some. This isn't some great claim, that middle white America sees race certain ways. It's a relatively narrow niche and he chose to lean into it for a while. Again, not a grand claim, given how often people see him as fake for acting that way.

1. He never said he was forced into any of that. You said he was "forced" into it. It's baseless conjecture. And yes, you do seem to be making grand claims about how white America sees race.
2. Black athletes in America do not have a narrow set of ways to present themselves or market themselves. That may have been true in 1960s and 70s. But it hasn't been true for a very long time now.

same reason they dont promote Jon Jones the greatest fighter of all time like they do Connor.... they dont have "IT" factor.... stupid but thats what it is

What are you talking about? They've been trying. Gave her multiple main event spots despite her not being a draw, call her the GOAT etc... Rogan and Dana both hype the shit out of her.
This
5e8iuushrte51.jpg

She's been fighting MMA longer than most people realize, since '08, and hasnt gained much attention from fans of the sport. Thats not a good thing.
I doubt it is because she is foreign, her english is good enough, is it her style? It seems the UFC has a champion who has an extremely fan-favorite fighting style, more so than Ronda and Barber, but not the "sweetheart" looks they had with the past champions.

i dont think its about personality either, Ronda sounded like a 6th grader who was determined to show the world she could do what she wanted.
Eric Cartman-ish, if you will. Why do people latch on to a bitch but can’t get on board with a wholesome woman like Nunes? Not calling Ronda a bitch but her persona was that of a bitch.

The UFC is supposed to be the ones doing the promotion. The whole thing is so unfairly balanced against the fighter. Bad money, bad contracts, forced to wear Reebok/Venom and then you are supposed to act like a total dickhed like Colby Covington
or an absolut pos like Conor if you want to get paid properly.
Its totally unfair to expect the fighters to do the main share of promotion when they get paid so poorly.
They've tried to promote her. The fans/public doesn't like her or hehehe been captured by her. It's that simple. The promotion can't force people to line certain fighters.

Don't forget the Road House reboot.

Yeah, it's not a partisan issue really, more just if you're a huge corporation you got to be friends with politicians of all stripes. And hard to say how much of the fanbase leans one way or another, but I think a lot of fans think the fanbase is younger and more diverse than it really is.

You're connecting two unrelated points. I think the UFC didn't do a good job promoting Amanda and I also think promoting non-white athletes in combat sports is harder. I don't think the UFC is racist toward Amanda, just uncreative and clueless as to how to promote someone that doesn't' fit into the neat box they like PPV stars to fit in.

And you'll notice the UFC (mma in general) has struggled to produce the quantity of black stars you would see in boxing.

https://theundefeated.com/features/conor-mcgregor-and-the-shrinking-power-of-the-great-white-hope/

The author stresses the point too much, but the way I would put it is just that race sells well in combat sports. It is what it is, some fighters lean into it more than others.

Quite a shit ton of gay people on the planet. But the target audience would be broader more just people who find a gay athlete important. And that's a lot of potential money.

The question of the thread is why doesn't Amanda get the same exposure from UFC promotion as a Ronda or a Barber. That's what my initial post was about, you then for some reason want to tell me they have had a harder time being promoted and now you tell me they are unrelated. Why tell me in the first place? I wasn't talking about it

How to make Amanda a star:

Step 1. Pay ESPN to show her KOing Ronda/Meisha/Whomever within their Da da da....da da da show.

Step 2. Have her show up on Ellen twice in a year.

Step 3. Have her arm wrestle a talk show host by the name of Jimmy.

Step 4. Slip "Big John" some cash everytime he mentions her during one if his seminars with prpsepctive fighters, refs, judges, and state commissions.

Step 5. Have WME place her as an extra in the next DC movie. After all, since they are also the management team for Ben Affleck, have her be in the next Justice League movie as "Bartender", "Fighter #2", or "Wonder Woman's Training partner". Then, pay Deadspin to hype the poo out of the cross branding.

Step 6. Have her give out a trophy at the next Kids Choice Awards. Wait, or give out a MTV movie award for best fight scene or something like that.

First time i heard about Amanda being black lol
Here in Brazil she is white

MM is the main one. You seem to have issues admitting that the UFC sometimes bungles marketing and promoting of fighters.

<36>

Mighty Mouse didn't have a snowball's chance of being a star. His existence at the top nearly killed the division. He was PPV poison and no amount of marketing would have changed that.

No they promoted Jones very hard from the beginning. They only backed off after he started doing stupid shit like drunk driving and committing hit and runs. Before that Dana never said anything but compliments about him, he was clearly meant to be their new posterboy.

Because Jones had GOAT talent, not because he was Black. Similar to Mayweather. American Blacks are never promoted just because they are "Black." There's always another reason, whether it be talent, power, charisma, etc.

Because Dana and Ronda had a sexual relationship. When you think about it Ronda took one for the team for all future WMMA fighters

5e8iuushrte51.jpg

She's been fighting MMA longer than most people realize, since '08, and hasnt gained much attention from fans of the sport. Thats not a good thing.
I doubt it is because she is foreign, her english is good enough, is it her style? It seems the UFC has a champion who has an extremely fan-favorite fighting style, more so than Ronda and Barber, but not the "sweetheart" looks they had with the past champions.

i dont think its about personality either, Ronda sounded like a 6th grader who was determined to show the world she could do what she wanted.
Eric Cartman-ish, if you will. Why do people latch on to a bitch but can’t get on board with a wholesome woman like Nunes? Not calling Ronda a bitch but her persona was that of a bitch.

The UFC is supposed to be the ones doing the promotion. The whole thing is so unfairly balanced against the fighter. Bad money, bad contracts, forced to wear Reebok/Venom and then you are supposed to act like a total dickhed like Colby Covington
or an absolut pos like Conor if you want to get paid properly.
Its totally unfair to expect the fighters to do the main share of promotion when they get paid so poorly.

Honda Housey - sweetheart looks. <6>

Because Jones had GOAT talent, not because he was Black. Similar to Mayweather. American Blacks are never promoted just because they are "Black." There's always another reason, whether it be talent, power, charisma, etc.
I never said it was because he's black but white fighters aren't promoted because they are white either. Stipe broke the record for most HW title defenses and the UFC never put any real effort into promoting him. It was obvious Dana wanted Ngannou to beat Stipe the first time they fought.

They told Colby's manager they were going to not re-sign Colby even on a 5 fight winning streak with a win over Maia, that's why he started to imitate Chael; who also started his act because the UFC wasn't interested in him either.

Last edited:
Back