Examples of fighters that has lost simply because they underestimated their opponent?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
We see and discuss these things pre fight, but whatever the result is all talk is about the winner simply being the better fighter. Well, i cant imagine a better fighter lost one time because of underastimation. When has this happened?

I'll start with Silva/Weidman 1. Anderson underastimated that dude so hard he got ktfo to the point where he was never same again.

McGregor Poirier 2

Conor would have won were it not for underestimation

The only reason McGregor can’t win is that he can’t bring himself to take seriously someone he’s knocked out so easily before

McGregor Poirier 2

Conor would have won were it not for underestimation

The only reason McGregor can’t win is that he can’t bring himself to take seriously someone he’s knocked out so easily before
Interesting thought. My take on the Mcgregor/Poirier saga is that Dustin was always the better fighter. Even though Conor knocked him the fuck out the first time, it kinda feels like a fluke today. It was a weird punch that dropped Dustin, they both moved up to 155 after and Dustin did better things there.

Maybe Conor underastimated him in the second fight due to the easy result in 2014, but he learned in the third fight Dustin is actually elite.

Interesting thought. My take on the Mcgregor/Poirier saga is that Dustin was always the better fighter. Even though Conor knocked him the fuck out the first time, it kinda feels like a fluke today. It was a weird punch that dropped Dustin, they both moved up to 155 after and Dustin did better things there.

Maybe Conor underastimated him in the second fight due to the easy result in 2014, but he learned in the third fight Dustin is actually elite.

Conor has the psychology that he always has to accomplish something that will wow people and he gets motivated

Let’s face it, Poirier just doesn’t motivate him

Conor hit him in the back of his head. Not Conor's fault. Poirier attempted to dodge and moved in such a way that the punch hit the back of his head.

GSP-Serra I.
Interesting thought. While watching it i just thought Serra had a very good gameplan though. Before that fight Serra was thought of a BJJ guy. So GSP's gameplan was to keep it on the feet and pick him apart.

What he didn't know was that Serra knew he wasn't going to grapple, so Serra focused solelily on boxing. Go to the body and then to the head when GSP was least expecting it.

Maybe GSP underastimated Serra, but he came in with a gameplan that was doomed.

Fig Moreno 2
Hey now, maybe we need to see a third fight to settle this, but in my opinion Fig was weak as fuck due to the weight cut. Dude got dropped by a jab. Not even a counter jab, just a jab.

I do see your point in that Fig talked all that shit pre fight. How he was going to smash Moreno in a round to make things right.

Fuck it book Moreno/Fig 3

Conor has the psychology that he always has to accomplish something that will wow people and he gets motivated

Let’s face it, Poirier just doesn’t motivate him
Dustin didn't motivate him for the trilogy?

Dustin didn't motivate him for the trilogy?
Maybe a little, but not in the way Conor is optimally motivated. Conor’s a showman, he wants to wow people. That’s why the trash talk was so forced, there was no real inspiration behind it

I don’t think Silva underestimated Weidman personally, I think he underestimated the evolution of MMA. The taunting worked for him against guys like Maia and Forrest Griffin, but guys with actual striking skills weren’t going to rush in and get knocked out by a jab lol

I think DC vs Stipe 2

First round he was fighting like it was only a matter of time before he finished stipe again but stipe kept going he got tired and then reckt
Yeah DC fought like he was going to get Stipe out of there any moment... Even in the fourth round where he was stopped, he disregarded everything Stipe did and just tried to walk him down.

Re listening DC's pre fight interviews for this rematch it's safe to say he was overconfident going into the fight. Then that last body punch hit him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back