Fury vs Wilder III in Relation to the UFC/MMA Discussion Mega Thread

Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine, and valiant men in mixing strong drink. Beer makes a brawler, wine a mocker. Drunkards will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

:Be sober" is commanded at least 5 times. There is plenty of scripture against partying.
They love to pick and choose because its impossible to live in western society by following that book strictly

No more delusional than this Thread (and Title).

It is though.

Some MMA fans have a weird fascination with trying to shit on boxing. Basically, if you didn’t enjoy Fury vs Wilder 3 then I have to question if combat sports are really for you (not you personally but people who say they didn’t enjoy it).

Like who doesn’t enjoy a 10 round or so fist fight with two men going toe to toe, dropping one another multiple times and displaying tremendous heart, skill and conditioning?

You can "say" what you want, it means nothing. Zippo. Absolutely zero. Anyone can "say" anything. Carries zero weight.

I've been watching boxing before you are smile on your daddy's face. Thank you for incorporating the use of the word "daft" into your vocabulary. (You can think of me every time you use it, going forward.)

Show me a single heavyweight champion with more consecutive wins.

Show me a single heavyweight champion with more consecutive knockouts.

Show me a single heavyweight champion, with the above two traits, and also who 6'7", 235 pounds.

Other than the ability to write "your opinion," show me the factual evidence of a better prospect in the history of the division.

Hold on here - you’re relying on ‘saying’ stuff as much as anyone else.

You assess a boxer largely by looking at who they’ve beaten. If Wilder was to retire today, his best win would be……Ortiz? It’s a shite resume, and certainly not befitting of a high calibre fighter.

Fury’s is lacking too btw, but he has the Klitschko win, 2 stoppage wins vs Wilder, and a couple of other decent ones like Chisora.

So, I'm going to be honest and admit that I'm a casual boxing fan. I only am attracted towards big name fights and in no way shape or form a boxing expert. I mean, I was watching a playoff baseball game at the same time, so I actually missed a fair bit of that fight, a couple knockdowns I missed, so it's not like I have any intention or desire to talk up this fight or boxing in general.

Yet, I know full of shit when I see one. I am seeing lots of people on this forum talking as if there was ever a MMA fight that was as good as that one, if not better. That is number 1 bullshit. There has no fight in MMA that was as great as that trilogy fight from last night.

When I evaluate how great fight was, I tend to look at two main things: Quality of the fighters involved and the quality of the fight itself. Now the quality of the fighters are easy to say, you just look at their body of work and abilities, but the definition of quality of the fight itself may vary depending on who you ask, but I look at the quality of the fight itself as the excitement of the fight itself, competitiveness of it, and perhaps the ending of it as well. Also, the hype of the fight itself, and whether it lived upto it perhaps can be taken into account in saying how great the fight was, and boy did it live up to the hype and some.

Fury-Wilder Trilogy had it all. It had likely the two best fighters of their generation, not just now and here, but the generation, at the peak of their powers, perhaps not as competitive as it could been, but with two knockdowns, Wilder made it as close and dramatic as he could and went out swinging, and it had great ending.

There has never been a fight in MMA that comes even close to this fight, and to say otherwise is a classic case of nuthugging at its finest. At heavyweight, you might say Crocop-Fedor. I consider Fedor the GOAT p4p, and Crocop the best striker ever, but I don't think two COMBINED were as good as fury and wilder, nor that fight was as good as this one. I mean, there might be a good competitive HW fight like Hunto-Bigfoot, but obviously they are not at the same level in terms of their talents.

I think that applies to other weight classes. To be at the same level as those two, it's tough to find to begin with. Perhaps at LHW, Jones-Cormier. But the fight itself wasn't half as good. Hendo-Shogun 1 was dynamic, but even though I believe healthy Shogun was as good as they came at LHW(PRIDE FOREVER IDGAF), they aren't at the level of these two fighters, and the fight itself also wasn't as good as the last night's fight.

At middleweight, I don't think there was a fight between the two who were even close being as good as these two. And I think the same thing can be said for other weight classes. GSP-Hendricks from WW, Edgar-Maynard 2 from LW, Aldo-Mendes 2 at FW, MM-Cejudo 2 from FLW perhaps hold talents that were comparable, but I don't think the combined talents were as good, nor the fight itself.

Truthfully, there hasn't been a single MMA fight that was half as good as Fury-Wilder 3. It's pretty delusional to suggest otherwise.

Fury vs Wilder was sloppy as shit. you are gayer and dumber than ISIS.

Of course the 10 count is exciting.

To watch someone try to pull themselves together while a COUNTDOWN is happening,and everyone is staring daggers at you to see if youll make it.

This.

10 count is terribly damaging from a fighters perspective, but brilliant from a spectator point of view.

Reactions: HHJ
Arm punches ? That’s literally what wilder threw all night. And don’t discredit PrimeFrye. He has fought wilders equivalent in kickboxing's: JLB.

And he did very well aside until that early stoppage, as you can see in the below video.

Lmao i like Frye but what is this? He landed nothing on that giant JLB and got straight up slept. Absolute mismatch

I will say that it was mildly entertaining, watching it while drinking with friends who had money on the fight.

Boxing as a sport has to die. I'm sorry to those who are deeply offended by that statement. Not only is it an unrealistically restrictive simulation of physical combat. The sport exists solely to give young people across the world CTE. Whereas real physical combat incorporates grappling, wrestling, leg kicking, and many other aspects that don't involve bonking on the head, boxing is mostly bonking on the head. Other sports may have some CTE risk incidental to the physical actions allowed to pursue the game's objectives. The objective in boxing is bonking on the head. As a result, it has a much higher mortality rate than normal ball sports, in the range of most extreme sports, and even those who don't die lose brain cells that we as a society should prefer they had.

MMA is still many more times more dangerous than ball sports, though about 10x safer than boxing. In the search for a safer alternative which both indulges people's desire to engage in some sort of physical combat but also provides more for their safety, I'll always prefer MMA to boxing. Because at some point it's really not that fun watching a person who is clearly concussed try to stand up and talk to a counting judge, trying to convince him to let him take more punches to the head and lose more brain cells after his brain has already been rocked. I'm a human before a martial arts fan, and boxing is both ludicrous enough to turn away the human in me and impractical enough to bore the martial arts fan in me.

It is though.

Some MMA fans have a weird fascination with trying to shit on boxing. Basically, if you didn’t enjoy Fury vs Wilder 3 then I have to question if combat sports are really for you (not you personally but people who say they didn’t enjoy it).

Like who doesn’t enjoy a 10 round or so fist fight with two men going toe to toe, dropping one another multiple times and displaying tremendous heart, skill and conditioning?

I think most people enjoyed it, it was a very good fight, but if someone posts in the MMA section that its better than any MMA fight ever cause MMA is shit or whatever, its obviously going to get a largely negative response. Its inviting people to be more critical of it than they would be if you just said "it was a great fight"

Don Frye vs Lebanner,an early stoppage? Frye got knocked stupid in that fight.

It's all speculation. AJ has yet to make a big fight with anyone. The other made big fights with each other. I'll believe them at this point.

how can he make a fight with wilder when he turned down the offer. also fury vs aj was signed before wilder stopped it.

I think most people enjoyed it, it was a very good fight, but if someone posts in the MMA section that its better than any MMA fight ever cause MMA is shit or whatever, its obviously going to get a largely negative response. Its inviting people to be more critical of it than they would be if you just said "it was a great fight"

Yeah, OP saying it was the best fight ever doesn’t help things for sure. Particularly when he seemingly only half watched it <45>

I would be saying the same thing if it was a boxing fan shitting in a high quality, predominantly striking, MMA fight though. Like how a combat sports fans could watch that and not enjoy it, I’ll never know.

Hell, even going a step further - sports fans. I’m not a tennis fan but I can watch high level tennis and definitely enjoy the more end to end, close games at the sharp end of a tournament. Same with rugby, and even most football I watch these days.

If you were totally opposed to combat sports and violence then I could see it, but otherwise….just enjoy good fights for what they are basically.

I will say that it was mildly entertaining, watching it while drinking with friends who had money on the fight.

Boxing as a sport has to die. I'm sorry to those who are deeply offended by that statement. Not only is it an unrealistically restrictive simulation of physical combat. The sport exists solely to give young people across the world CTE. Whereas real physical combat incorporates grappling, wrestling, leg kicking, and many other aspects that don't involve bonking on the head, boxing is mostly bonking on the head. Other sports may have some CTE risk incidental to the physical actions allowed to pursue the game's objectives. The objective in boxing is bonking on the head. As a result, it has a much higher mortality rate than normal ball sports, in the range of most extreme sports, and even those who don't die lose brain cells that we as a society should prefer they had.

MMA is still many more times more dangerous than ball sports, though about 10x safer than boxing. In the search for a safer alternative which both indulges people's desire to engage in some sort of physical combat but also provides more for their safety, I'll always prefer MMA to boxing. Because at some point it's really not that fun watching a person who is clearly concussed try to stand up and talk to a counting judge, trying to convince him to let him take more punches to the head and lose more brain cells after his brain has already been rocked. I'm a human before a martial arts fan, and boxing is both ludicrous enough to turn away the human in me and impractical enough to bore the martial arts fan in me.

I love boxing, but it can be very difficult to justify from a health perspective. I don’t doubt that Wilder will carry some of that damage with him for the rest of his life. Giving a concussed person a 10-count to ‘recover’ before they continue to take punishment, is….brutal.

That said, the ‘consenting adults’ argument is also a strong one. They both know the damage they’re taking and the risks involved.

I read the last couple of paragraphs.

That said, I disagree with what I can decipher of your point. It was a great fight. It was the best HW boxing fight of my lifetime. And it was also a complete domination by Fury other than a few moments and flashes by Wilder in each fight. I'm a huge Wilder fan. I lived in Tuscaloosa and went to UA during his rise in the sport. I've followed him for years. He was definitely a different fighter in the 3rd fight. He brought that jab and body work and started to show signs of all the things boxing fans hoped he would work on for years. But it was too little too late.

That all said, I loved the fight and will root for Wilder to continue to get better and better...

BUT.

To suggest there were no fights as great in MMA? You would need to jump through hoops creating specific criteria to disqualify dozens of MMA fights to make that claim.
Fedor CroCop
Lawler Red King
Hendo Rua
Silva Sonnen
Daley Diaz
Colby Usman

The list is LONG of other fights that were far better. There wasn't even much drama and build up to Fury Wilder 3. People expected the result that we got. The only surprise is that Wilder had a new wrinkle to his game and Fury survived an arguable long count (again) to turn around and DOMINATE the fight from that point on. It was a great fight IMO. But plenty of MMA fights have been closer, had more drama, more on the line for both fighters, more build up, all of it.

Still for boxing at that level--this was something truly special. I don't want to downplay that.

War Wilder.
And War Fury. That fucking dude is a machine. His recovery is unlike anyone I've seen and his chin is fucking ridiculous. His cardio, how light he is on his feet with all that weight, his physical size but also his quickness and reaction time. Dude has all the tools.

I can't defend the Mas rematch, but Colby 2 makes sense cause the first fight was awesome. Oos/Mas 2 should've been Oos/CoCo 2 anyway.

So, I'm going to be honest and admit that I'm a casual boxing fan. I only am attracted towards big name fights and in no way shape or form a boxing expert. I mean, I was watching a playoff baseball game at the same time, so I actually missed a fair bit of that fight, a couple knockdowns I missed, so it's not like I have any intention or desire to talk up this fight or boxing in general.

Yet, I know full of shit when I see one. I am seeing lots of people on this forum talking as if there was ever a MMA fight that was as good as that one, if not better. That is number 1 bullshit. There has no fight in MMA that was as great as that trilogy fight from last night.

When I evaluate how great fight was, I tend to look at two main things: Quality of the fighters involved and the quality of the fight itself. Now the quality of the fighters are easy to say, you just look at their body of work and abilities, but the definition of quality of the fight itself may vary depending on who you ask, but I look at the quality of the fight itself as the excitement of the fight itself, competitiveness of it, and perhaps the ending of it as well. Also, the hype of the fight itself, and whether it lived upto it perhaps can be taken into account in saying how great the fight was, and boy did it live up to the hype and some.

Fury-Wilder Trilogy had it all. It had likely the two best fighters of their generation, not just now and here, but the generation, at the peak of their powers, perhaps not as competitive as it could been, but with two knockdowns, Wilder made it as close and dramatic as he could and went out swinging, and it had great ending.

There has never been a fight in MMA that comes even close to this fight, and to say otherwise is a classic case of nuthugging at its finest. At heavyweight, you might say Crocop-Fedor. I consider Fedor the GOAT p4p, and Crocop the best striker ever, but I don't think two COMBINED were as good as fury and wilder, nor that fight was as good as this one. I mean, there might be a good competitive HW fight like Hunto-Bigfoot, but obviously they are not at the same level in terms of their talents.

I think that applies to other weight classes. To be at the same level as those two, it's tough to find to begin with. Perhaps at LHW, Jones-Cormier. But the fight itself wasn't half as good. Hendo-Shogun 1 was dynamic, but even though I believe healthy Shogun was as good as they came at LHW(PRIDE FOREVER IDGAF), they aren't at the level of these two fighters, and the fight itself also wasn't as good as the last night's fight.

At middleweight, I don't think there was a fight between the two who were even close being as good as these two. And I think the same thing can be said for other weight classes. GSP-Hendricks from WW, Edgar-Maynard 2 from LW, Aldo-Mendes 2 at FW, MM-Cejudo 2 from FLW perhaps hold talents that were comparable, but I don't think the combined talents were as good, nor the fight itself.

Truthfully, there hasn't been a single MMA fight that was half as good as Fury-Wilder 3. It's pretty delusional to suggest otherwise.
Rounds 6-9 were mostly clinching. If you enjoy seeing 12 minutes of men hugging then yeah, best fight ever.

It wasnt as good later on in fight which should of been stopped wilder was taking too much damage.it was sloppy.hunt vs bigfoot was way better

Back