Media Aspen Ladd's corner

What a load of nothing. Guy gave good advice, never went over the top or lost his cool. Seems like a decent coach.

I didn't see the fight, saw what Miesha said and assumed he was just insulting her rather than trying to coach her. He was just trying to give her technical advice and was frustrated she wouldn't follow it. No one would think anything of it if it were a male fighter.

To all the men complaining about what happened: get yourselves a vagina

It's gotta be frustrating to lose a fight with so little action in it. Like if Ladd had thrown 2 punches instead of 1 as her corner instructed, she probably could have won all 5 rounds

I thought he was a little brash, but not Bobby Knight-level of scary coaching. She did not listen to her corner, and seemed disinterested in fighting.

Lol, completely bad coach. Fighting is already really stressful, you don't need a retarded screaming at your ear. We had two coaches who made this approach ( trainers of aspen ladd and Carlos Boi) both lost the fight. I am not saying that the coach should not tell what is happening, but screaming like a hysteric bitch? Take it easy.

It wasn't just Tate. Bisping, the guy who lost an eye fighting, also felt that the energy in that corner was wrong. You can be fiery in a way that doesn't crush the fighter's ego. Your goal as a coach is to send your fighter out there with a will to win and wanting to tear shit up, not chop them down in the process. Sherdog is just a collection of incel armchair warriors and definitely not the place to discuss nuances though, so I am not at all surprised that fans are calling Tate a pussy and thinking that this is what great coaching looks like.
There is a big difference between saying he could have been more effective if he didn't show his frustration and saying he was abusive.

oh my god... this is what everyone is in an uproar over?

I legit had 8th grade football and basketball coaches talk harder than that.

ffs this is a grown ass combat sport and he was right about damn near everything.

people today are
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f7467734f42725432544f476f31773d3d2d3331303731303436322e3134373364323563346631643734353539363032393434313037312e676966
Yeah, dude. That is why they are 8th grade coaches. Lol, i had a bunch like those in my HS. That is not abuse, just bad teaching, yikes

I can’t believe people think this is ok. This is the problem with basically every female fighter getting fucked by their coaches, the sexism is rampant. Context matters. This wasn’t just a coach, it was a boyfriend taking advantage of her most vulnerable situation to shit on her and ask her what she’s doing. She’s getting beat up asshole what do you think she’s doing? She knows how to fight and needed a change in mentality and this guy just dug in the negativity because he’s a jealous loser.

Get rid of wmma problem solved

Yeah, dude. That is why they are 8th grade coaches. Lol, i had a bunch like those in my HS. That is not abuse, just bad teaching, yikes
I don't know that it's even bad teaching in every situation.

I was nowhere near elite, but was one of those athletes that just wasnt motivated by pats on the back and gentle support. but man if a coach were in my face telling me I was a worthless shit it lit a fire under my ass. I think it triggered a "prove them wrong at all costs" mentality for me and many others.

good coaches know which athletes need that, or something else. they get the psychology.

bad coaches are just that all the time. in either case 99% of outside observers don't have that insight, just see "coach is mean."

regardless, to call this abuse is just overreaction and further demonstrate our overall softening.

Eh. It's hard. I think he shoulda changed gears when his original approach wasn't working. If the student isn't seeing your light, you gotta change it up. Ask questions. Point out good things. Give her some quiet. But he's swarming her, overwhelming her, and it simply isn't working.

It was a very simple message he was giving her. That isn’t swamping or overwhelming. I honestly have no understanding of what you are complaining about. And he did exactly what you described, after being way too soft for 2 corners, he turned it up and got real with her.

It wasn't just Tate. Bisping, the guy who lost an eye fighting, also felt that the energy in that corner was wrong. You can be fiery in a way that doesn't crush the fighter's ego. Your goal as a coach is to send your fighter out there with a will to win and wanting to tear shit up, not chop them down in the process. Sherdog is just a collection of incel armchair warriors and definitely not the place to discuss nuances though, so I am not at all surprised that fans are calling Tate a pussy and thinking that this is what great coaching looks like.

There is a difference between saying something is “abuse” and “not the right energy”. One is a more objective social standard of morality while the other is a tactical error.

Also, what did the fighter think? You’re the justice truth teller, how about we allow this woman to have some agency and have her own feelings about the situation? Do you think it’s maybe possible that they know each other better than you do?

Besides, do Tate and Bisping have a monopoly on truth? You’re perched on a thin ledge of logic while insulting everyone beneath you.

Nothing wrong with that. Miesha Tate must be preparing for her retirement and becoming a leftie professional victim

i mean were you guys expecting Ted Lasso ?

the guy was talking to her like a sherdog coach would. no sugar coating.

Back