How would have Holly done against PRIME R3

Paramount

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I think most people can agree that Ronda wasn't herself before the Holly fight. Not sure if something happened. Or if it was her training with edmond. Etc... but we do know she was a force to be reckon with when she was mentally there..

How would Holly Holm have done against Ronda in her prime when she was ragdolling everyone?

It would’ve gone the same. Holly has high level footwork and movement from her years of boxing that allows her to avoid Ronda’s bullsrush, whereas others couldn’t. She’s strong, has good TDD, and is a sharp counterpuncher. This is one of those “styles make fights” things. Holly just has a style to give Ronda trouble.

It would’ve gone the same. Holly has high level footwork and movement from her years of boxing that allows her to avoid Ronda’s bullsrush, whereas others couldn’t. She’s strong, has good TDD, and is a sharp counterpuncher. This is one of those “styles make fights” things. Holly just has a style to give Ronda trouble.
Just curious, why do you think Tate did better. Her explosiveness on takedown opportunities instead of the head up / chin up bumrush of Rousey, which leaves her open to a counterpuncher?

N
I think most people can agree that Ronda wasn't herself before the Holly fight. Not sure if something happened. Or if it was her training with edmond. Etc... but we do know she was a force to be reckon with when she was mentally there..

How would Holly Holm have done against Ronda in her prime when she was ragdolling everyone?
no such thing as motivated Ronda. She got exposed and she's dogshit

It's my opinion, but I'm going with USADA played a larger role than people realize.
Program started Mid 2015, a couple months later she fought Bethe Correreia in Brazil(..Bethe in Brazil, not a great metric and only a month or two into the program)
Then fought Holly that November. Much more nervous/mentally weaker, and looking much weaker in the Octagon.

You can argue Holm and Nunes were just that massive upgrades from competition, and I won't argue that, but if I had to bet money, I'd put it on her being another USADA victim and it affected her performance and mentality.

R3's hot pocket body for that fight was fairly noticeable, but I don't know that she was past it beforehand. Afterwards, on the other hand...

It's my opinion, but I'm going with USADA played a larger role than people realize.
Program started Mid 2015, a couple months later she fought Bethe Correreia in Brazil(..Bethe in Brazil, not a great metric and only a month or two into the program)
Then fought Holly that November. Much more nervous/mentally weaker, and looking much weaker in the Octagon.

You can argue Holm and Nunes were just that massive upgrades from competition, and I won't argue that, but if I had to bet money, I'd put it on her being another USADA victim and it affected her performance and mentality.

Holm was undefeated in MMA and brought in specifically as the one to dethrone Rousey. Ronda couldn't handle the pressure and ran into a more well-rounded fighter, and she broke. Maybe USADA played a part, but I doubt it.

Interesting. That would explain why she looked deflated so quickly.

WTF are you on about? Ronda was 12-0 and the champion when Holly faced her. How is that not in her Prime?

Yeah she was about the worst imaginable style matchup for Rhonda at the time. I think Rhonda gets buried in here unjustifiably due to how hated she was towards the end of her run, and ironically I think she had the best style to beat some opponents who Holly lost to. Holly was just a god awful stylistic matchup for her, and I think she took the loss so badly that she essentially pushed herself out of her own prime.

I really would have liked to have seen her against Nunes before her loss to Holm. Not that she necessarily would have won, but I think it would have been a very different fight than it was.

Back