International Vietnamese workers in Serbia building Chinese factory treated horribly.

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
- The Chinese government / Chinese tire factory is building a tire manufacturing plant in Serbia.

- Instead of employing local people, they are using Vietnamese to build the factory.

- The Vietnamese workers (about 500) are treated horribly. Their passports have been taken, so they can not leave. They have only been paid once since May. They are shivering and starving in the barracks they are housed in. They sleep on bunk beds with no mattresses. They received no medical care even when some developed Covid-19 like symptons.

- Human rights groups / NGO have been denied access to the workers.

- Human rights groups in Serbia say the Vietnamese workers could be victims of human trafficking and even slavery

- The workers are trying to return to Vietname but can't without the Chinese employer returning their passports

- The Chinese tire company says it's not their fault, it is the fault of Vietnamese job agencies.

- The top Serbian authorities are trying to downplay the situation and blame it on foreign anti Chinese interests. Those Serbian officials who did speak out on the inhumane conditions still would not call out the Chinese company

- The Chinese tire company is also accused of violating Serbian enviromental regulations.

- Chinese companies have also been accused of human rights violations when they sent Chinese miners to work a copper mine in Eastern Serbia

----

Associated Press and others are reporting:

Vietnamese workers at Chinese factory in Serbia cry for help

ZRENJANIN, Serbia (AP) — They are shivering in barracks without heat, going hungry and have no money. They say their passports have been taken by their Chinese employer and that they are now stuck in a grim plainland in Serbia with no help from local authorities.

https://apnews.com/article/business-china-europe-serbia-pollution-67431ad5f51b553357911dea24c70359

Miamo Herald sources AP
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article255986562.html
----

This is soo typical of China / Chinese companies and their infrastructure funding in the developing world and Eastern Europe. They barely use local labor, always using Chinese or foreign labor. They did the same thing in Montenegro where a Chinese company is building a road and bridge project. They did the same thing in Africa and Sri Lanka.

Montenegro mortgaged itself to China. Now it wants Europe’s help to cut it free.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a745b4-9ebb-11eb-b2f5-7d2f0182750d_story.html

This is also very similar to how the Gulf Arab countries operate: they deceive poor Asian laborers into coming there to build stuff, then take their passports, don't pay them and treat them inhumanely. It's a form of slavery.

This is slavery, just so you Leftists understand what it really looks like. They do it in the Middle East and Africa too.

China is a giant piece of crap.
Human rights groups are bringing attention to this; Human rights groups tend not to be rightwing groups. Leftwing groups are urging the Biden admin, advertisers and athelets to boycott the Beijing Winter olympics.

Sounds like a Vietnamese problem. They should avoid Serbia. And as always, fuck China.
It's an issue in South Asia, Africa and South East Asia. Desperate people from these regions approach job agencies looking for overseas work. Some agencies are unscupulous, some are not. The former deceive the workers on what their compensation would be for working overseas.

Recruitment agencies don't have control over how employers treat these workers in Serbia, UAE, Saudi, Kuwait or Qatar. Once these workers land in the Arabian Gulf , or Serbia in this case, the employer can do what he wants. The primary culprits here are the Employers and Governments in places like Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi, Kuwait and this case Serbia.

It's an issue in South Asia, Africa and South East Asia. Desperate people from these regions approach job agencies looking for overseas work. Some agencies are unscupulous, some are not. The former deceive the workers on what their compensation would be for working overseas.

Recruitment agencies don't have control over how employers treat these workers in Serbia, UAE, Saudi, Kuwait or Qatar. Once these workers land in the Arabian Gulf , or Serbia in this case, the employer can do what he wants. The primary culprits here are the Employers and Governments in places like Qatar, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi, Kuwait and this case Serbia.

So buy American?

Serbia won't care. They're getting cheap shit and tax revenue from the plant.

China won't care. They're making money and they can claim it didn't happen on their soil.

Vietnam won't care. Their communist government also treats their citizens like garbage.

The cycle continues.

Nothing unique about this and nothing relevant or breaking news. Rather pointless thread to be honest.

In case you didn’t know the entire BRIC clique especially China and India are well documented human rights abusers and they are not going to change it anytime soon! just like they told everyone to F off with regards to scaling back in coal use.

If the worlds biggest labor market, population banks, and production houses will be these two authoritarian, intolerant, and openly racist nations we are in for a major Woke vs authoritarian China and Cast system based India showdown soon!

And Wokeism will lose :)

Buy locally. Boycott China. Avoid going to Dubai for tourism or if you are an athelete then avoid the Qatar world cup and large sporting events in those regions.
The last part is only true for Gays like yourself. It’s great that gay athletes especially in soccer are calling out these middle eastern nation on their homophobia.

Nothing unique about this and nothing relevant or breaking news. Rather pointless thread to be honest.

In case you didn’t know the entire BRIC clique especially China and India are well documented human rights abusers and they are not going to change it anytime soon! just like they told everyone to F off with regards to scaling back in coal use.

If the worlds biggest labor market, population banks, and production houses will be these two authoritarian, intolerant, and openly racist nations we are in for a major Woke vs authoritarian China and Cast system based India showdown soon!

And Wokeism will lose :)
If its pointless why did you bother replying?

The last part is only true for Gays like yourself. It’s great that gay athletes especially in soccer are calling out these middle eastern nation on their homophobia.

You said this was a pointless thread but here you are with an axe to grind. I am not gay, not that it matters, but judging from this post you really have some issues with gay people.

So that others can learn and stop whining about shit they are not actually going to Challenge or stop?!
Dam near every thread in the warroom can be described as pointless if the metric is what issues can be challeged and stopped by people in this sub-forum.

No one is going to read your opinion and go away thinking: mjfan23 has opened my eyes, I should stop reading warroom threads on China or many other issues because I can not effect change.

You said this was a pointless thread but here you are with an axe to grind. I am not gay, not that it matters, but judging from this post you really have some issues with gay people.
You are very grumpy.

The thread was pointless yes! but I am replying to a specific comment about homosexuals and homophobia which you brought up. Saying don’t go to Dubai and Qatar. So stay on the specific point instead being all insecure just cause I felt the overall theme of your thread is not a value add.

Dam near every thread in the warroom can be described as pointless if the metric is what issues can be challeged and stopped by people in this sub-forum.

No one is going to read your opinion and go away thinking: mjfan23 has opened my eyes, I should stop reading warroom threads on China or many other issues because I can not effect change.
While what you are saying is indeed true. I seem to have unintentionally offended you enough to keep myself entertained for a bit lol

You are very grumpy.

The thread was pointless yes! but I am replying to a specific comment about homosexuals and homophobia which you brought up. Saying don’t go to Dubai and Qatar. So stay on the specific point instead being all insecure just cause I felt the overall theme of your thread is not a value add.
I didn't bring up homosexuals or homophobia . You have to work on your reading comprehension.

While what you are saying is indeed true. I seem to have unintentionally offended you enough to keep myself entertained for a bit lol
Read the other replies, you are the only here who has an issue this thread was made, so it sure looks like you are the one taking this personally.

Back