Social Uncomfortable Conversations: "The right kind of refugee"

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
I want to preface this by saying that the situation in the Ukraine is tragic, and civilians looking to leave the country should be welcomed by others who have the capacity to take them in.

With that being said, the Ukrainian crisis has highlighted the disparate response by the western world in how it perceives and treats refugees. Some people have been very blunt in their assessment of the situation

"These are not refugees from Syria, these are from Ukraine, they are Christians, they are white, they look very similar to us."

“It’s really emotional for me because I see European people with blue eyes and blonde hair being killed…”

There are dozens of examples of this, but you get my point - the humanitarian response to the Ukrainian crisis has been overwhelming, with millions of dollars being donated to help provide aide, countries opening their borders to welcome displaced people. Canada is even offering immediate work permits and access to social services, while some of our universities are eliminating tuition for foreign students from the Ukraine.

I am not principally opposed to any of these things - I think that when you have the ability to help, you should help. I am more interested in hearing your thoughts as to why there is a double standard - the notion of a "good refugee" and a "bad refugee". Is it something as simple as race, or are their dimensions of the Ukrainian conflict that make the world more sympathetic to their displacement?

Personally, I think there are three primary drivers:
1) The most obvious one being race and to a lesser degree, religion. Given that Ukrainian's "look like us" and their culture and values are seemingly more compatible and relatable to the average Westerner.
2) Ukraine enjoyed a (relative) degree of affluence and development relative to other countries prone to conflict, and their displacement is seen as something that nobody would have expected. If it could happen there, it could happen here.
3) There are broader global implications associated with the conflict and Russia being seen as a growing aggressor. As a result, we want to support Ukraine and its people, in a demonstration to show countries like Russia and China that the world will not tolerate bullies.

I do however find it somewhat perverse that we are able to generate hundreds of millions of dollars to support Ukraine and it's people, but the world balks at providing meaningful aid to war torn countries where children are literally starving to death. When Syrian refugees were fleeing the Putin backed Assad regime, they were turned away at gun point or faced razor wire fences. There are numerous stories of families who walked hundreds of kilometers to flee gang violence in Central America, only to be turned away by American border agents.

This is a topic that hits closer to home, as I once worked on a project in Yemen (Kharaz refugee camp) and witnessed saw what the ravages of civil war could do to displaced people.

If we have room for one, but not the other, what should the guiding criteria be? What makes a good refugee, and why do we have sympathy for some, but not all?

For the record, this isn't some sort of race baiting topic, I am genuinely curious - every country should have the right decide who they let in, using whatever criteria they want.

Huh? Basically all of the refugees and migrants taken in by western western countries have been non white for decades.

The Ukrainian refugees are women and children, while the men stayed back to fight. Nobody wants a bunch of 30 year old men refugees who left the women and children behind.

iu

iu

Yeah….. we’ve been taking in millions of non whites throughout the west for decades, and the US has been sending/facilitating billions in aid year after year to many countries all around the world.

Maybe you should do an ounce of research before posting.

1) The most obvious one being race and to a lesser degree, religion.

Laughable simple manipulation.
Like someone should pay you benefits, provide food etc only cos they should fear to be accused as raciosts etc?
Do you know how long term average British, Irish or Latvian or Finnish lad should work and pay tax to be enough good to get full unemployment benefits?

Why you think someone must be entitled in better position than locals just cos they are economic immigrants?

With Ukrainian war refugees it is different: majority of them are kids and females and they aren't yelling jihad , pay me benefits, you are my slave and should fear and support me cos I'm there.

Lol.

yeah it's crazy what people choose to care or not care about.

A big tittied blond refugee with a tight vajayjay.
a premise I've heard repeated is something about volunteering to take in hot young Ukrainian refugees lol.

Like someone should pay you benefits, provide food etc only cos they should fear to be accused as raciosts etc?
Do you know how long term average British, Irish or Latvian or Finnish lad should work and pay tax to be enough good to get full unemployment benefits?

Why you think someone must be entitled in better position than locals just cos they are economic immigrants?

With Ukrainian war refugees it is different: majority of them are kids and females and they aren't yelling jihad , pay me benefits, you are my slave and should fear and support me cos I'm there.

Lol.

I think you may be missing the point of my post. Also, I'm not manipulating anything - you have political leaders actually saying that since this happening to white Europeans, it makes the situation more "tragic".

With that being said, I am not saying that any reason is good or bad, I am more interested in what drives perceived differences in what constitutes good or bad refugees.

As others have pointed out, the western world has been taking in minority refugees for decades - and that decision has largely been met with reticents and frustration that countries seem more interested in catering to the needs of of foreigners, than they are their own people. This is a frustration I share, as I have been a vocal critic of Canada's immigration and refugee policy - we grossly neglect our indigenous communities.

Thus far though, the world has welcomed Ukranian's with open arms (as they should), but historically, have been far less willing to do so when it comes to other displaced people.

Last edited:
I personally would rather have whoever brings the most to tbe table... give no fucks about race, color, ethnicity, religion etc.

Lol.
There are millions of people in Yemen, Congo, Eritrea and other countries who are anything but economic refugees but from areas that are experiencing wars and human rights abuses that are far more brutal than anything that is going on in Ukraine.

Yeah….. we’ve been taking in millions of non whites throughout the west for decades, and the US has been sending/facilitating billions in aid year after year to many countries all around the world.

Maybe you should do an ounce of research before posting.

PS: For what it's worth, I have worked with the UN as an advisor for developing adaptive capacity and community resilience in refugee settlements (hence my work in Yemen). It was part of a collaborative effort that involved academic institutions spanning multiple continents. I assure you, I have done more research on refugees (both primary and secondary) than I ever wanted to - my specialization is on waste management infrastructure, and I was shocked to see just how bad the situation in many of these settlements are.

far more brutal than anything that is going on in Ukraine.
I don't know. From the same Kiev refugees are also russians, belarus etc ppl, and Putin is claiming about little small special operation.
Operation is very small, only > 1 700 000 refugees in EU.

Even Ukraine's foreign minister admitted they are being racist towards black refugees at the border

Back