I believe everything Nunes said about not being 100% in the first fight.

I honestly still think in the first fight that Nunes got very complacent and subconsciously wanted a break to take care of her child with less pressure. The IQ and willpower just didn't seem there in that fight, a very throwaway performance.

This fight she got her fire back. Hope does only a couple more though and calls it a career.

Anyone with eyes could tell something was wrong with her in the first fight. Her lungs were probably at 20% efficiency that soon after COVID
Yeah lingering effects of covid must suck when you’re a pro athlete. She looked much more alive in this fight to my eyes. Lighter on her feet and such.

Pena has to get Nunes on the ground prior to being as bloody as a Diaz brother.

I think Amanda probably wins 7 out of 10 fights against Pena, but I don't think anyone else in the division wins even 1.

People acting liking Nunes showed no BJJ. While she certainly ended up in a couple of precarious positions, I didn't think she felt that she was in that much danger and clearly is confident in her defensive BJJ. People acting like jiu-jitsu is only offensive grappling.

Entertaining fight, but Amanda whooped dat ass.

Immediate. It was far from a dominate performance

yeah nunes barely got it done, thats a split decision at max..

amanda dominated pena and showed whos clearly the superior fighter

I dunno. Pena showed it wasn't a fluke. She has better bjj and can hurt Nunes, Amanda just didn't let it pile up and fought smarter this time.
It was a fluke Pena got away with grabbing the inside of Amanda's glove the whole fight.

Pena is the best competition for Nunes right now. She got dominated but she also was close with some subs. I think Nunes would beat her in a third...but she's probably the biggest challenge for Nunes at 135 sadly unless Valentina moves up.
Peña really did impress me with how many sub attempts she threw out. And that armbar was tight(i don’t actually know if it was I haven’t trained BJJ so I’m clueless about this stuff and I’m just going by the commentary) she’s a warrior and definitely has my respect.

I think some of it may be true but she also came in confident and went hard trying to end it early and gassed bad when that didn't work

Her conditioning was a night and day difference from the first fight.

I believe her as well, and having covid, which she says she did, would make sense why she gassed so easily.
Yeah hopefully she’s back to 100% now covid effecting a fighters gas tank must be a big problem for them.

But also I must say I think that Nunes paced herself very well in this fight with more consistent pressure.

Nahh first fight nunes was shook when she realised Pena wasn't going anywhere ala nate-conor 1, this time she was expecting it and with the big success and knockdowns early, mentally was able to stay relaxed

Peña really did impress me with how many sub attempts she threw out. And that armbar was tight(i don’t actually know if it was I haven’t trained BJJ so I’m clueless about this stuff and I’m just going by the commentary) she’s a warrior and definitely has my respect.

Agreed, until the bell rang for the end of the fifth, it never seemed like Nunes was "safe". She dominated, sure, but it wasn't like there weren't moments where things could have gone the other way.

Nahh first fight nunes was shook when she realised Pena wasn't going anywhere ala nate-conor 1, this time she was expecting it and with the big success and knockdowns early, mentally was able to stay relaxed
That's a good comparison
Notice she didn't follow Julianna on any of the knock downs (which were all hard knock downs) cause she wanted to conserve energy
Nunes just had more information this time
Also that southpaw stance made a huge difference

Back