Sergei Pavlovich / Derrick Lewis Stoppage.... Good? Fair? Bad? Horrible?

What's your opinion?

• Total voters
Very true, but I'm not seeing what made him do that. SP missed almost all of those strikes, was it the early one that looked kinda behind the ear that freaked him out? Regardless, he obviously wasn't even stunned.
Cause he was trying to recover, but when you go down like that and act like you're giving up, you can't be mad when the fight gets stopped.

Anyway, Sergei was tooling him. Lewis wasn't making it out if that round anyway imo, so I'm not that upset. Anticlimactic tho.

some of you are retarded, Lewis was getting punched in face non stop for about 15 seconds before he faceplanted
Maybe 3 of those strikes landed, and that's being generous. Some of you are retarded thinking he was getting punched in the face nonstop for 15 seconds.

No, the objective is to stop the fight when a fighter is getting hit repeatedly and not defending himself.

Lewis was getting up as the fight was stopped and seemed to have all his wits about him.

Lewis was getting up as the fight was stopped and seemed to have all his wits about him.
184193_10150289581403919_520843918_7838341_778231_n-e1314725505562.jpg

$$$$$$$$$

I've seen Lewis come back from worse. I feel like he should've been given more time. It was funny right before the fight I was telling everyone at the party how terrible of a ref Dan was.

It was a perfectly fine stoppage, the right call according to the rules. When someone falls on their face like that and doesn't even try to brace the fall with their hands, it's over. Once that happens, the fight should be stopped. It's on Lewis to not let things get to that point.

The problem was he got back up right after it was stopped. He wasn't completely out of it, but Dan couldn't know that when he saw Lewis faceplant. I think Dan realized he should have let it go, but it was too late by then (using 20/20 hindsight). A couple points. Dan always allows the fighters to try and fight their way out. He still did a better job than Herb Deen.

TLDR: Once someone faceplants, the fight is over. Doesn't matter what happens after that.
He did not face plant. He fell forward hands in front of his face.

a faceplant is insinuating that he was knocked out and couldnt protect his face from a fall. This was not that.

a faceplant is insinuating that he was knocked out and couldnt protect his face from a fall. This was not that.
You're a moron, dude. Trying to talk about technicalities of what a "faceplant" constitutes. He fell with his hands in front of him, not even trying to brace his fall (with his hands to the side). That looks like you're out cold, even if he wasn't. At that point, the fight has to be stopped. Period. That's the ref's job. It's on Lewis to make it look like he's still in the fight. He didn't do that.

P.S. I am a fan of Natasha Nice though. Lol.

You're a moron, dude. Trying to talk about technicalities of what a "faceplant" constitutes. He fell with his hands in front of him, not even trying to brace his fall (with his hands to the side). That looks like you're out cold, even if he wasn't. At that point, the fight has to be stopped. Period. That's the ref's job. It's on Lewis to make it look like he's still in the fight. He didn't do that.

P.S. I am a fan of Natasha Nice though. Lol.
How could he make it look like he’s still in the fight when the ref was in there immediately after he fell forward.
0AE620EA-BE86-4C5B-8D85-90F8A35227E4.jpeg

does that look a face plant??? Hell no! Its lewis’ strategy to avoid more punches, it actually works, its like turning your head when someone is GnP because they arent allowed to hit the back of the head.

Faceplanting is insinuating the guy was out cold and couldnt brace his own face from hitting the canvas.

You're trying to talk basic logic to dummies. It doesn't work on sherdog.

How could he make it look like he’s still in the fight when the ref was in there immediately after he fell forward.
View attachment 935047

does that look a face plant??? Hell no! Its lewis’ strategy to avoid more punches, it actually works, its like turning your head when someone is GnP because they arent allowed to hit the back of the head.

Faceplanting is insinuating the guy was out cold and couldnt brace his own face from hitting the canvas.
Well it didn't work this time, brah! That's a stupid strategy. "I'll make it look like I'm KO'd and hope the ref doesn't stop it." Look, I'm from Houston, so I generally support him, but he's a known quitter. You reap what you sow.

DON'T LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF THE REF/JUDGES!

He was getting punched and would have continued getting punched if Dan didn't step in between.
Duh of course he would keep punch. The point was lewis wasn’t out or out of the fight because he popped back up.

He was getting punched and would have continued getting punched if Dan didn't step in between.
So you are confirming you either didn't watch it, or can't understand what you're seeing right in front of you? Got it.

Duh of course he would keep punch. The point was lewis wasn’t out or out of the fight because he popped back up.
The point is that a referee is supposed to stop a fight if a fighter is not intelligently defending themselves irrespective of whether that fighter is out of consciousness or not.

It wasn’t really a knockdown, he turtled up and Dan read it as him giving up most likely. I mean yea Dan coulda waited. But Lewis coulda not done that.

That's how I saw it. Surrender via posture. And when Lewis saw a pants leg in front of his turtled face he sprung to his feet.

"That's Derrick Lewis fault" - The Ghost of Herb Dean

Last edited:
Just like Lawler vs Askren, it was a good stoppage. How is the ref supposed to know your recovery ability? Don't want the fight to get stopped? Don't look like you got knocked out. There's playing possum, and there's getting faceplanted.

Back