Trainwreck: Woodstock ‘99

So Fresh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Netflix made a new documentary about Woodstock ‘99 and the absolute shit show that it was.

I knew some background before watching this but I didn’t know the organization was so shitty and the crowd were so exploited.

I’ve been to quite some festivals myself and luckily never experienced something like this. I was wondering if there are any sherdoggers who were there who can share their experience.

The shows were legendary though :cool:

I remember seeing all about it on the news. I was a teenager at the time. What a strange year that was with Columbine, the Woodstock debacle and then everyone afraid of the looming Y2K. I think people legit thought it was the end times.

I thought about watching it, but figured it's probably a money grab to follow the Fyre Festival doc.

I remember seeing all about it on the news. I was a teenager at the time. What a strange year that was with Columbine, the Woodstock debacle and then everyone afraid of the looming Y2K. I think people legit thought it was the end times.
Most people didn’t. Though I remember a bunch of people rushing to the store next to the pizza place I was working to purchase a bunch of water, just in case, around new year’s.
But for most people it was a pretty optimistic time. The year 2000 was right around the corner. The internet was becoming more and more developed. Soon we would have flying cars. And aside from the massive crime wave in the 90s, it was a really good decade, so everyone thought the next would just bring more of the same but better.

The documentary about the original Woodstock is the greatest music doco ever made.

Bull Island I watched recently, that was a fuck up

Honestly though I think it and media coverage generally created a bit of a fantasy around Woodstock as some haven of peace when in reality it had plenty of disorder, I suspect that image is actually part of what resulted in so many poorly planned disasters afterwards.

Most people didn’t. Though I remember a bunch of people rushing to the store next to the pizza place I was working to purchase a bunch of water, just in case, around new year’s.
But for most people it was a pretty optimistic time. The year 2000 was right around the corner. The internet was becoming more and more developed. Soon we would have flying cars. And aside from the massive crime wave in the 90s, it was a really good decade, so everyone thought the next would just bring more of the same but better.

If Al Gore had been president we might have avoided 911 and had flying cars by now

The documentary about the original Woodstock is the greatest music doco ever made.

Bull Island I watched recently, that was a fuck up

Years ago I saw an older doc about the Altamont Free concert that was held in 1969. Wanna talk about bad ideas? How about having the hells angels as your event security. Lol.

If Al Gore had been president we might have avoided 911 and had flying cars by now
Well, we may have avoided 9/11 if he had been. Idk. Maybe he would have ignored the same security briefs that W did. But I seriously doubt we would have been involved in two never ending wars in the Mid East had the Supreme Court not been a piece of shit. He may have gone into Afghanistan. But he definitely would not have gone into Iraq.
We’d be better off. But no flying cars.

Honestly though I think it and media coverage generally created a bit of a fantasy around Woodstock as some haven of peace when in reality it had plenty of disorder, I suspect that image is actually part of what resulted in so many poorly planned disasters afterwards.
Yup, was certainly romanticised over the years, it's still awe inspiring to watch the footage of all those people taking over this little town. I'm sure there must be done cards still buried in the fields there somewhere

Years ago I saw an older doc about the Altamont Free concert that was held in 1969. Wanna talk about bad ideas? How about having the hells angels as your event security. Lol.
That wasn't the Rolling Stones concert and movie was it? No can't be, I think that was fairly recently made

I'll check it out though

I remember it clearly as it was a really shit time in music. Nu Metal was everywhere and a lot of the 90s bands had sold out.

I was still going to gigs and festivals around 99 and the crowds were full of wankers compared to 5 years earlier.

Fun fact:
TCDCHEE_EC035.jpg

This guy was one of the carpenters that built the stage for the original Woodstock.

I was supposed to work Woodstock 99 (a family friend ran a tram service for big events and one of their kids friends begged to go and I got bumped last minute), they left me a voice-mail when Korn was playing and I still have the access badge somewhere.

I dont care if it was a disaster for attendees, I'm still bitter that I didn't get to go. :(

Back