Which Champion was the least skilled.

Royce Gracie
David Menne
Nico Montaño
Tim Sylvia

Least skilled? I'd have to say Lesnar for men. He had his roided up wrestling and hit hard like any HW, but other than that, nothing. 5-3-1 record for a champ is shit.

Cody Garbrandt would be a close second for me. He looked brilliant at times early in his career, but most of the time just shit the bed after the Dom fight. 12-5 record and 1-5 over his last 6.

I don't consider Dave Menne due to how young the sport was at the time.

Bisping

- He was never one of the 5 best active fighters in his division at any point in his career.

- He never earned a title shot. He was only given one as a late notice injury replacement.

- He was gifted a bunch of hometown decisions. The one against Hamill was particularly egregious. During the part of the post-fight interview in the octagon where they show highlights of the winner's performance, look what they had to show because Bisping literally had no highlights during that fight.

- In between rounds of the fight with Anderson Silva, Bisping couldn't get up from his stool and his cornermen refused to exit the octagon after 60 seconds. The referee spent a ridiculously long time trying to get Bisping's corner to leave before they finally did. If the fight hadn't been in the UK, it would have been correctly scored a TKO retirement on stool.

Screenshot-20211209-071053.png

- He is only fighter in UFC history to have been knocked down by 10+ fighters and taken down by 10+ fighters.

- He was constantly getting turned into highlights for his opponents.

MinorImpoliteHuemul-size_restricted.gif

PopularPerkyHammerkop-size_restricted.gif

henderson-bisping-gif.gif

hendo-power-hand-shot-comp.gif

JauntyDentalAfricanclawedfrog-size_restricted.gif

Rockhold-taps-Bisping.jpg

Vitor-KO-Bisping.gif

giphy.gif

Wandy-trips-Bisping.gif

EducatedUnselfishAndalusianhorse-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_oyyac9F2Zw1u2ragso4_250.gifv

tumblr_oyyac9F2Zw1u2ragso2_250.gifv

Anderson has to be up there. Good but not great striker, no ground game. Got by on a great chin and by getting favorable stylistic matches.

Peña is up there

that's a pretty good choice, technically she does nothing well, just wears opponents down with in-your-face toughness (which is surprisingly effective)

If we include WMMA then all the top positions would belong to then like Esparza, Montano, Tate, Holm, and Rousey (one dimensional).

Ignoring WMMA, what about Serra and Griffin. Both good fighters, but we all knew GSP would demolish Serra in the rematch. LHW division today is similar - Glover got wrecked by the elite a couple of years ago but won the title. You knew it wouldn’t last long, yet he was decisively beating Jiri up until the final seconds. This tells me that Jiri for sure won’t retain the title for that long, guy is crazy and exciting but he’s not going to be a dominant champ.

It's a fairly loaded question in my opinion. Some fighters are incredibly good at one thing, like Ngannou or Khabib or Royce Gracie, some fighters have a much more varied skill set, like Jon Jones or Charlie Olives. In older UFCs the art of MMA was much less developed, and less money in it, so you probably had 'less skilled fighters' same like in most sports: the athletes of old had more limited skill sets than the latest gen athletes with top tier sports science, not to mention the latest gen has the benefit of learning from the trailblazers.

E.g. every man and his dog now is throwing front kicks, when Anderson Silva landed front kick KOd Vitor Belfort in 2011, I believe it's the first front kick KO in the UFC. Now it has become a standard technique.

A final point being, I have seen for quite a few years now people say heavyweight is a low skill division with a lot of overweight dudes who are just winging shots. In my opinion, being skilled = finishing your opponent in decisive fashion. Bigger dudes move differently to tiny dudes, and so even a dude like Black Beast swangin and bangin, is a skill in its own way, and I do not think that a bruiser who brute forces his way to become a champion, is any less skilled than a dude who employs a very wide range of techniques to outpoint his opponent.

Back