Elon Musk Agrees to $44b Deal for Twitter

come on guys, Gene is a good guy. We all get on each other's throats here because of differing opinions (and I unfortunately do it too when I'm having a bad day or just reacting impulsively) but it doesn't achieve anything.

It's safe to say I disagree with most of what Gene posts, but I like his thread of his journey with his wife and cats. Let's not demean him by calling it "trailer park thread".

Don't forget the absolutely epic bathroom he used to own.

Seriously, respect.

a lot of the people screaming about musk make their living off twitter self-promotion.
if i wasn't purposely looking for it, my twitter is completely musk drama free.
i follow around 300 people (teachers, artists, colleagues) and 100 more sites (news, culture, etc) and i see NOTHING about this whole thing.
if this thread didn't exist i wouldn't even know there was drama.
i imagine my experience is similar to like 97% of everyone on twitter.

You realize Musk's entire life and much of his stockvalue is based off self-promotion on twitter, right?
Might be. I don't really like the guy. I take with a grain of salt everything he does and says. He's probably a bit on the spectrum and if you're a billionaire the likelihood you're a bit of a sociopath is rather high. I am sure that if we met he'd probably look at me like at a bug or something like that.

I said you were gloating because you saw it as a win for your side and you were. Now you're simply moving the goalposts because I was able to substantiate my claims about you, that you were gloating because you saw this as a culture war win for the right while you were unable to do the same for your claims about me, that I was supposedly freaking out about Musk's purchase.

Oh okay, right. Those damn goalposts again. You make a claim that gets proven wrong, and it's the goalposts that are to blame! Very genuine of you.

Its not though, the lazy way to save face is to simply say that its his site and he can do whatever he wants on it. Its true but to see the supposed "f-free speech" side be so quick to defend the arbitrary moderation of the owner of the site is rich and exposes the hypocrisy of the right in the most entertaining and clear way possible.

That still doesn't really make sense, going all the way back to the beginning of this retarded exchange. But it doesn't appear that using actual quotes and directing you to actual written rules, that verifiably were not being followed, is still not enough to stop you from confirming your bias with convenient interpretations of said rules and quotes.

LOL @ thinking that "activists" have led to advertisers pulling out and not every decision that Elon has made since he took over the company.

Advertisers are not going to pay to advertise on a social media platform that runs like the wild west.

The YouTube Adpocalypse was five years ago, and YouTube only gets stricter about monetization as time goes on in spite of all of the complaints from content creators.

Twitter was well down on Google search, Youtube and Facebook for advertiser priority anyway, but yes, protecting brand identity is vital for advertisers. The fact that the content is user generated means nothing, they just pay to reach an audience and they want the content they appear on ideally as in line as possible with what you typically see on every commercial platform. As popular as possible, but also uncontroversial and inoffensive.
When you see incompetence at this level, it's hard not to suspect it's malicious and deliberate, but I can't imagine Musk throwing away $44B.

Is Musk bankrupt yet? Is Twitter gone?
I suspect Trump will be in jail , and Musk will be at a homeless shelter with his Tesla parked outside any day now…

Is Musk bankrupt yet? Is Twitter gone?
I suspect Trump will be in jail , and Musk will be at a homeless shelter with his Tesla parked outside any day now…
These things take some time. Musk will bum money from his friends, sell more Tesla stock, funnel SpaceX "advertisement money" into Twitter, get free labor from Tesla engineers... maybe even take from his kids' trust funds before Twitter takes its last breath.
And who knows, maybe he'll manage to revive it while it's still on life support. Not sure turning Twitter into a bank like he alluded to is going to work. Social media platform and banking? Where's the synergy?

Anyhoo

lmao
Conman at it again.
Trying to raise more money for SpaceX at an insane valuation so he can pump it into twitter ad-money.
"Spacex Said In Talks To Raise Capital Above $150 Billion Value - Bloomberg"

Trying to get investors to pay valuations for a company that loses money launching some rockets at a price 1.5x that of Boeing, a company that produces shitloads of planes, rockets, aerospace goods etc...

Last edited:
Twitter was well down on Google search, Youtube and Facebook for advertiser priority anyway, but yes, protecting brand identity is vital for advertisers. The fact that the content is user generated means nothing, they just pay to reach an audience and they want the content they appear on ideally as in line as possible with what you typically see on every commercial platform. As popular as possible, but also uncontroversial and inoffensive.

Yeah, that's why I was laughing at the people who thought that it would be viable to end content moderation and bring back all of the suspended accounts (most of whom got banned for extremely inflammatory stuff and harassment of other users).

No advertiser is going to pay money to have their brand associated with a larger version of Gab.

When you see incompetence at this level, it's hard not to suspect it's malicious and deliberate, but I can't imagine Musk throwing away $44B.

I used to buy into him being a legit business mind until I met a couple of people who worked at PayPal around the time that he was removed as CEO and then did some reading about what happened there in the trades.

I don't know how he's going to bail himself out of this mess because there are no government subsidies/tax credits or customer deposits on products that haven't been built yet, which is how he's made SpaceX and Tesla work.

Im gonna guess that having the owner of twitter trolling on the app is probably not a good way to gain back companies

Back