Is Alex Pereira the least well-rounded, most vulnerable UFC Champion ever?

Doesn't Conor have zero title defenses? Probably not the best example to use
Doesn't need them. He cleaned out the FW division, clobbered the LW champ, took 2 out of 3 fights at WW, and went ten rounds with the GOAT boxer in BOXING.

He just needs to work on his TDD and his ability to get back up to his feet then he should be ok. Its too late in his career to get to a high level in BJJ so hes probably just working on submission defense getting back up to his feet with Glover. Also Perreiras hands are so lethal that not a lot of guys will be able to take his punches, lets also not forget about his knees. He can KO anyone with any limb, going for a takedown is not exactly easy.

Agree somewhat, as impressive as he was on his feet, his grappling was awful . He completely lacked on any awareness.

least well rounded? probably.

most vulnerable? i would suggest he is not as vulnerable as the champ who almost lost to a lower top 20 fighter and did lose to a retired fighter.

but hey. this is one sport where you can do incredibly well without being well rounded. like CC he may just need very good tdd and sub defense.

Doesn't need them. He cleaned out the FW division, clobbered the LW champ, took 2 out of 3 fights at WW, and went ten rounds with the GOAT boxer in BOXING.
I love floyd. But only idiots think he's the goat. Especially when he's a 40 and retired.

And fuck off with that WW shit lol. He fought LWs and they agreed not to cut weight

i mean hes huge and he trains under glover, plus hes brazilian

hes gotta be at least decent off his back but hard to say without more data points

I am sure hes not as bad of a wrestler as we think, he is just a much better striker and prefers to stand. Give him a few months of pure grappling and he will be a threat

Honestly my feeling is he actually looks really strong in the clinch, maybe a little inexperienced grappling wise but not someone I see as being easy pickings at all, especially not to several of the big name MW's who really arent that dangerous on the ground.

I get the feeling if he beats Izzy again and stays at MW were going to be getting a few "why didnt Rob use his grappling like I said he should?" threads.

Clinch seemed ok against another guy who isn't known for clinch wrestling.

Someone who uses collegiate wrestling takedowns like a Lesnar who shoots in from afar could get easy takedowns.

Less well rounded than Brock? Probably not.

Brock looked like he was allergic to punches and he's in the sport of fighting. Not a great look, not to mention Brock got tapped out easily by a knee bar.

Alex at this point is less green than Brock was when he won the title.

I love floyd. But only idiots think he's the goat. Especially when he's a 40 and retired.

And fuck off with that WW shit lol. He fought LWs and they agreed not to cut weight
You fuck off pussy. Conor was giving up 4 inches and like 15 pounds to both of them by fight time, dumbfuck go learn something.

Alex is being severely underrated here, the same way Izzy was during his rise.

Does anyone here think Derek Brunson has a chance in hell against Alex?? Because he's a legitimate top 10 MW. I don't think you guys understand the sheer size difference between Alex and these other guys.

Alex is gonna improve massively in his grappling now, he just viciously finished the far and away 2nd best striker in the division. Wait till you see Alex start calf kicking these wrestle boxers and destroying them from range, god help us all if Glover gets his BJJ up to snuff with a solid sprawl.

It's downright laughable when people bring up Khamzat, the same guy who just went life and death with Gilbert Burns!?!? He needs to take 12+ months to prepare himself to fight a MW the size of Alex. Being a wrestler isn't enough, you gotta be able to finish him in the first-round while having very good striking and a granite chin to survive the standup portions that will inevitably ensue.

Izzy has a phenomenal chin, wait till Alex starts touching these other guys and the tune will start to change.

Who are these wrestlers who have legit finishing ability that they've displayed at MW that you actually believe can stop him by surviving on the feet for more than a few minutes??

Brunson? He can't take a punch from Alex, especially once Alex tears up his lead leg.

Whittaker? When's the last time Whittaker even employed an effective wrestling strategy that resulted in a win? He loves to strike and routinely spends the vast majority of his fights doing so.

Marvin? Very bad Fight IQ despite a great chin, might actually have the best shot out of anyone because he actually has a history of submitting strikers and taking a beating.

Hermansson? He would wilt as soon as he felt his power.

Maybe Muniz? He could be a serious threat, but he has to actually fight his way toward the top of the division first.
Brunson can beat Alex

Alex is being severely underrated here, the same way Izzy was during his rise.

Does anyone here think Derek Brunson has a chance in hell against Alex?? Because he's a legitimate top 10 MW. I don't think you guys understand the sheer size difference between Alex and these other guys.

Alex is gonna improve massively in his grappling now, he just viciously finished the far and away 2nd best striker in the division. Wait till you see Alex start calf kicking these wrestle boxers and destroying them from range, god help us all if Glover gets his BJJ up to snuff with a solid sprawl.

It's downright laughable when people bring up Khamzat, the same guy who just went life and death with Gilbert Burns!?!? He needs to take 12+ months to prepare himself to fight a MW the size of Alex. Being a wrestler isn't enough, you gotta be able to finish him in the first-round while having very good striking and a granite chin to survive the standup portions that will inevitably ensue.

Izzy has a phenomenal chin, wait till Alex starts touching these other guys and the tune will start to change.

Who are these wrestlers who have legit finishing ability that they've displayed at MW that you actually believe can stop him by surviving on the feet for more than a few minutes??

Brunson? He can't take a punch from Alex, especially once Alex tears up his lead leg.

Whittaker? When's the last time Whittaker even employed an effective wrestling strategy that resulted in a win? He loves to strike and routinely spends the vast majority of his fights doing so.

Marvin? Very bad Fight IQ despite a great chin, might actually have the best shot out of anyone because he actually has a history of submitting strikers and taking a beating.

Hermansson? He would wilt as soon as he felt his power.

Maybe Muniz? He could be a serious threat, but he has to actually fight his way toward the top of the division first.

I think it’ll be interesting to see what better grapplers can do, but AP has proven that he has five round cardio, five round power, debilitating leg kicks, vicious knees to catch people coming in, vicious knees to the body in the clinch, etc. And obviously he can melt you any time. Khabib is the best MMA grappler ever perhaps and he still had to stand and trade with Conor (and others) for a good amount of time.

I’ve seen people mention Vettori, whose head was a magnet for Whittaker’s fists. AP will bludgeon him.

Less well rounded than Brock? Probably not.

Brock looked like he was allergic to punches and he's in the sport of fighting. Not a great look, not to mention Brock got tapped out easily by a knee bar.

Alex at this point is less green than Brock was when he won the title.

Brock was still 2 dimensional, he had great wrestling and a great ground game.

And are you talking about being subbed by Mir in his 2nd MMA fight ever?......the same Frank Mir that broke Big Nog's arm?

Yeah, what an embarrassment........

.....and then crushed Frank in the rematch?

Izzy has good TDD & good defensive BJJ, but his offensive grappling is lacking. His game is tailored to his strong suit, to keep the fight standing where he's almost guaranteed to have an edge over any MW except possibly Alex. Alex on the other hand, his TDD looked good in this fight but once he was down, he didn't seem to know what to do. The commentators said it too, this is despite a couple yrs training with Glover. We can't just assume his BJJ will be dramatically improved. MW doesn't have a lot of elite wrestlers/grapplers at the moment, at least not guys who would be in title contention though, so that helps. If Alex was at WW for example, he would be in much bigger trouble, that division is stacked with great wrestlers

Back