Social Skateboarding Is An Art

4mhxta.gif

Skateboarding is awesome, used to be pretty good as a teenager, wish I never stopped. I still ride occasionally but suck now, regardless it’s still fun. The berrics page on Instagram is a good follow.

Yeah man, same for me. I got a new board about a year ago, and it had been probably 10+ years since I been on one. I did a kickflip and ate shit! lol! I just need to find time play around more to get my legs back.

As an older guy and skater of about 36 years coming back from a long injury, i would suggest leaving your board in your trunk. Every time you go to do errands, say like food shopping, pull it out and push around the parking lot for 10 or 15 minutes. Don't worry about tricks, just push, turn, maybe try a few manuals. Your comfort level will come back and then obviously you can step it up. It's the consistency. You/we were so much better when we were young cuz we did it everyday. Just pushing around helped me get some of my wind/legs back. It helps remind you how much fun riding is instead of focusing on all the tricks you've lost. Skateboarding saves. Good luck!

As an older guy and skater of about 36 years coming back from a long injury, i would suggest leaving your board in your trunk. Every time you go to do errands, say like food shopping, pull it out and push around the parking lot for 10 or 15 minutes. Don't worry about tricks, just push, turn, maybe try a few manuals. Your comfort level will come back and then obviously you can step it up. It's the consistency. You/we were so much better when we were young cuz we did it everyday. Just pushing around helped me get some of my wind/legs back. It helps remind you how much fun riding is instead of focusing on all the tricks you've lost. Skateboarding saves. Good luck!

yeah I keep my board in my trunk, usually spend an hour or two a week riding after work. Mostly just carving around the park and a little bit of street riding here and there. Good cardio too lol.

This is probably the hardest video of street skating that I have ever seen! :eek: Nyjah absolutely murders everything in the vid!

I thought Yuto would be catching up to Nyjah soon, but damn I am just left in awe here. He even pays homage to Yuto in the vid by doing his trick (nollie backside 270 to noseslide), that Yuto did to win SLS in Jacksonville this past year. Enjoy the vid, Sherbros!!

The Japanese are crushing the skateboard world. We had 360 flips as a kid. I loved my pressure flip (back foot inward heel flip) kickflip.

I miss it. Sadly too old for it. When you fat now, you break something and get hurt. It's a young man's game much like the fight game.

So many new tricKS. Laser flip? And others. It's been a minute.

Getting older blows eh?

I rekt my ankles as a kick kick flipping sets. By sets, I mean curbs or 2 sets. <Lmaoo>

I was never great. A few buddies had sponsors. Several hit rails. My buddy almost died board sliding. It waa terrifying.

He was a natural. His hard flip and front side kick flip looked pro.i remember his bro hit a 9set. He kick flipped a 5 set. Caught the board in the air. Landed clean.

I stopped early 20s. The ankle injuries were awful.

The Japanese are crushing the skateboard world. We had 360 flips as a kid. I loved my pressure flip (back foot inward heel flip) kickflip.

I miss it. Sadly too old for it. When you fat now, you break something and get hurt. It's a young man's game much like the fight game.

So many new tricKS. Laser flip? And others. It's been a minute.

pressure flips are the business. Used to be one of my go to tricks. So simple once you get the scoop motion down but so many people can’t do it.

I’ll see your Nyjah and raise you and Andy Anderson.

Yes, Skateboarding is an Art. It’s skill, style, power, grace and most of all personal creativity.

Like he has magnets on his feet. Just sick!

It's just a sport/recreational activity. Yes, there are some masters out there that make you go "holy shit!", but you can say the same thing for beer pong players doing stupidly impossible trick shots on Youtube.
If dance is art (and I imagine we would all think some dances are art), no reason combat sports, skateboarding, pro wrestling etc aren't art. Or at least some aspects are.

Lol at all of the skateboard threads in Sherdog turning into Rodney Mullen threads.

The man is a living legend and was an inspiration to me in the 90's. It's understanding.

I'll do my best to keep current updates, though. The skaters these days are impressive beyond belief!

Awesome video that is from Plan B’s secondhand smoke video, my buddy and I watched that so many times before going out and skating
Cheers, I never knew the source but when I was in highschool mid 2000s my mate was like just search up Rodney Mullen Aerosmith haha. Big fan of that clip, the music suits it so well too.

Cheers, I never knew the source but when I was in highschool mid 2000s my mate was like just search up Rodney Mullen Aerosmith haha. Big fan of that clip, the music suits it so well too.
It really does, and funny enough I was like 10-11 and thought that was Led Zeppelin, wasn’t until my buddies hippy parents told us it was Aerosmith that we knew different

If dance is art (and I imagine we would all think some dances are art), no reason combat sports, skateboarding, pro wrestling etc aren't art. Or at least some aspects are.

Certain aspects, sure. I just think the board sports(surfing and skateboarding) get a bit more play in the pretentious waters, where they're evaluated on some "artistic" plane, more than others. Like, Is Basketball all of a sudden an "art", if some Harlem Globetrotter dude can do a crazy solo routine, with no competitive aspects? If you were going to place that distinction on it, it would be to the creators of the sports, since they created something out of nothing. That's art. Not so much the people who are using the fundamentals to evolve the skills.

Then again, the whole "art" debate gets stupid really fast, since "art" doesn't really have a definitive distinction. It will always devolve into "Everything is art, or nothing is", and people putting that label on certain things and not others, are arguing from purely subjective standpoint, myself included.

If it's art to you, that's all that matters.

Certain aspects, sure. I just think the board sports(surfing and skateboarding) get a bit more play in the pretentious waters, where they're evaluated on some "artistic" plane, more than others. Like, Is Basketball all of a sudden an "art", if some Harlem Globetrotter dude can do a crazy solo routine, with no competitive aspects? If you were going to place that distinction on it, it would be to the creators of the sports, since they created something out of nothing. That's art. Not so much the people who are using the fundamentals to evolve the skills.

Then again, the whole "art" debate gets stupid really fast, since "art" doesn't really have a definitive distinction. It will always devolve into "Everything is art, or nothing is", and people putting that label on certain things and not others, are arguing from purely subjective standpoint, myself included.

If it's art to you, that's all that matters.
yeah, I wouldn't disagree, board sports tend to correlate with higher incomes since poor people don't really live on the coasts in the US and date parks require large capital investments.

I get what you're saying, art is the parts, like I wouldn't consider strength an conditioning very artistic but a fighter finding a creative combo? Sure.

yeah, I wouldn't disagree, board sports tend to correlate with higher incomes since poor people don't really live on the coasts in the US and date parks require large capital investments.

I get what you're saying, art is the parts, like I wouldn't consider strength an conditioning very artistic but a fighter finding a creative combo? Sure.

I wouldn’t put skating among surfing or snowboarding as correlating to those with higher incomes at all. I’d probably say there are more poor kids skating than well off kids, at least in my experience anyway. My friends and I had the streets to skate, and rarely went to skate parks. Plus 30 years ago, skate parks were few and far between.

These days, cities are making skate parks as they would a green park. Sure there are those out there that are a business, but open and free parks are more frequented than paid parks.

its an incredible sport that requires a very high level of skill to become good at but i dont like watching it. its too harsh for me. i dont like concrete and i dont like how loud it is when people skate and the landings while being incredibly difficult to do always seem loud and harsh and clumsy to me.

but thats just my opinion.... the facts are it takes a lot of skill to skate well.

pressure flips are the business. Used to be one of my go to tricks. So simple once you get the scoop motion down but so many people can’t do it.

Back foot inward heel flip. Took ages. My sponsor buddy taught me. I learned to pressure flip kick flip after. Was a huge fan of Rodney Mullen. Loved the strange things he could pull off.

Back