How much do YOU think a fighter should make?

Bearknuckle

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Yeah yeah i know another fighter pay thread.

the thing is everyone either says “pay them more”. Or “they deserve what they agreed to or are worth”

What do you think a entry level fighter should get, to a mid tier, to an upper tier, to a champ.

and how would your pay process be implemented.

the thing is everyone either says “pay them more”. Or “they deserve what they agreed to or are worth”

What do you think a entry level fighter should get, to a mid tier, to an upper tier, to a champ.

If they're good enough to fight in the UFC, they should be making $50K a fight, minimum, for the undercard.

For the main card, $250K, minimum.

Both the main card & undercard should have their separate bonus structure.

UFC is a monopoly like WWE where all the athletes/entertainers are owned by the company. The whole thing is fucked, but I'd say 3 fights a year - 150k for starters. And when their done with taxes and fight/training expenses alone, that aint much.

The guys really getting robbed are the chanps/stars.

Thats who the UFC is making bank off of and they deserve a bigger part of the profits. Some like Ngganou are standing up for that. They are who generate profits.

The intro level fighters I wish made enough to train full time and not have to worry about a side job, if only because the talent pool gets deeper that way.

giphy.gif

I started writing a response, but then quickly realized this always turns into a shit show about who's getting paid this and that and should or shouldn't.

It depends a great deal of how much I'm making as a promoter.

So I never became a professional fighter but I did make money as a musician. I prepared my while life and practiced and on my best night I made $2000 dollars. At that show the venue and promoter sold tickets for $40 each and had 400 people show up. They had 5 bands... Idk the pay but if they all averaged the same 2000 we were paid a lot of the total of 16000.

Fighters should be paid what they individually earn the venue. So for low level guys without a following very little and for a high level guy selling the tickets millions probably

I feel like thread like these are just people tossing out random numbers that "sound right"

To be accurate we need to know what the UFC budget is, their operational costs, what obligations they have with broadcasts partners, what's the ROI on a particular fighter, how much a fighter draws

Without these and other inputs any answer we give here would be useless

Last edited:
The guys really getting robbed are the chanps/stars.

Thats who the UFC is making bank off of and they deserve a bigger part of the profits. Some like Ngganou are standing up for that. They are who generate profits.

The intro level fighters I wish made enough to train full time and not have to worry about a side job, if only because the talent pool gets deeper that way.
Ngannou is NOT standing up about money at all. And is only concerned about his own interests. That was the line he fed the bleeding hearts. He admitted he had lost $7M due to not accepting the UFC’s latest offer. That was between the Stipe, and Gane fights. So, he remained at his old contract of $600K per fight. And tried to sell the hogwash that he’d never fight for $600K again. Yet NOBODY including the UFC expected him to. That was literally HIS CHOICE.

He wanted to box. And he thinks he should be allowed to do that as well as getting paid $millions by the UFC. The UFC can’t/won’t allow that.

Don’t try to rewrite history. Ngannou wants it all, and thinks he should be allowed to do it. No matter how bad of an idea that is for the UFC.

So they’re going to let him walk.

First thing needs UFC needs to trim most of the roster because there are too many no name cans on the roster who cost the UFC money instead of making money for the UFC

Should be around 15-20 fighters per division only

With this change the the UFC will be able to make more money by saving money but not having to pay for substandard fighters and also pay fighters alot more (at least $100K per fight)

UFC actually needs to be the best of the best again not just full of no name cans whose skill level are equivalent to bums fighting on the street

The reduction in quantity is reflected in the pay, bring back quality and the fighters will make more

It's easy to sit here on the computer, not know any of the UFC's real numbers and say everyone deserves whatever big number you have in your head, but I bet if you averaged out the profit for the year, divided by how many fighters fought and spread it out, the numbers wouldn't be as large as you think.

UFC needs to also stay sustainable, to not have long binding contracts when they have a down year. Also most of this is moot because Disney just ordered X # of events and are paying UFC as long as the fulfill it, they sold the UFC brand to ESPN, so whether they fill a card with cheap fighters or the top shelf fighters, they get the same amount. There is significant risk for CTE and damage fighting in mma, so they have to try and compensate what is fair.

To me it's a very complicated subject we can never get to the bottom of because we don't have the data to have a real debate until all the numbers are placed on a table. There is a reason orgs like Affliction folded after a few events while the UFC keeps going on as #1.

Tomato / Club Fighter - 25k Show 25k Win
Prospect - 50k Show 50k Win
Prelim Contender / Journeyman -100k Show, 100k Win
Seasoned Vet / Main Card Contender - $250k Show, 250k Win
Title Challenger - $500k Show / 500k Win + 2.5% of PPV sales
Champion / Interim Champion - $1,000,000 Show / $1,000,000 Win + %5 of PPV sales
Reigning / Defending Champion - 2.5 to Show / 2.5 to defend + %7.5 of PPV sales

Fighters should also be allowed there own sponsors, fight of the night 100k to each. Ideally, I'd scrap the win bonus, not sure it makes any difference.

More than I make, plus being able to pay for fight camp, but not a lot more. I don't need fighters getting bougie on my proletariat ass.

If they're good enough to fight in the UFC, they should be making $50K a fight, minimum, for the undercard.

For the main card, $250K, minimum.

Both the main card & undercard should have their separate bonus structure.
That's pretty fair for a base payout.

$ 200, 250,000 per fight plus endorsements , fight twice a year, , $1,000,000 per fight for the top 5…
Not top 5 most popular, top 5 fight best fighters…
Also lifetime medical you break top 10

Last edited:

15k show + 15k Win for newbies, if they fight 3 times a year and win then its 90k/yr which is solid pay.

30k Show + 30k Win for win/some lose some journeymen.

60k show + 60k win for win streak prospects, fighters with growing name

100k show + 100k Win for headliners on fight nights

250k Flat for title challengers, and ppv cut if they actually are popular

500k flat for champs and ppv cut at higher percent to actually give them couple million

Back