Illegal streams of UFC PPVs potentially costing fighters millions in payouts per PPV

I don't illegally stream MMA. But due to the absurd price, I hardly ever buy PPVs any more. I expect to buy an upcoming BKFC event though (Diego vs Trout), as it's a bargain.
I can honestly say every now and again, I take a look at the upcoming schedule, and there’s nothing on there that warrants paying 80 bucks. I don’t illegally stream it, I just don’t watch at all.

Amen. Preach brother, you're on the money.

I hate this conversation sir, it's like nobody wants to open their damn eyes and see it all for what it is.
The fact that sponsorships were taken from the fighters, and then the entire cage is covered in sponsorships shortly after should say it all.

Also, guys won't get more money until they grow collective balls and get a union started, because they've given up an awful lot that won't come back without a fight.

They've lost out on individuality, money, decent contracts etc etc etc.

Oh well, what do I know I have only been watching from day one sir lol.

It's been clear for almost two decades that fighters won't get shit even if a billion PPVs were sold.
The champions still make a lot of money. Or at least do really well. But it’s harder and harder for those pay per view buys to get to a certain number in which they can make millions of dollars. GSP once said in his heyday he was making around 5 million per fight, and alluded to making as much as 10 million on his last fight. But I imagine all these buy rates are in the toilet these days.

This is something I completely 100% agree with. When the UFC took the individuality out of the equation by basically requiring a uniform, that was very frustrating for the fighters and the fans. Because, like you said you had all of these old school fighters that had a style they were known for when they got into the cage. That got tossed aside.

And that's just one of the many things that gets tossed aside for the UFC's greed sir.

Fighters are extremely over paid and I won't support the price hikes. Get a job, fight on weekends.

That's a lot of money left off the table, even if UFC fighters are only getting 15%-20% of revenue, having revenue jump by increasing PPV buys by that much would substantially increase PPV buy.

Obviously, not all illegal streamers will buy the PPV, so it's hard to determine how many will pay, but I'd bet it'd be enough people to make a dent in fighter pay.

How much do you think illegal streams are costing fighters in terms of their share of the revenue?

You are confusing completely different things. Fighters are not entitled to a share of UFC's revenue unless they are doing something that increases UFC revenue beyond what they generate for the fighters.

UFC is one of the most efficient businesses in the world running at an insane nearly 50% EBITDA Margin with both revenue and margin growing year over year. People here brag about never paying anything to UFC, act like they care about fighter pay, and bless their hearts for thinking anyone cares about their opinion when they are not even a customer of the company they hate. Companies focus on providing the best product to their customers not poor, internet haters. UFC's increased pricing for PPV events shows they understand they have a premium customer base with very strong price elasticity since they keep significantly increasing price resulting in improved results, despite all the complaints here about how much they suck. The UFC customer base can and does pay for their product as underwhelming as it may be at times.

On the completely different topic of fighter pay, UFC absolutely begs for fighters to earn more money. Low fighter pay is based on the fighters not the UFC. UFC is constantly begging for fighters to step up and make an effort to be a star, just look at the title of threads on the first page here. Since Izzy lost we are desperate for a star to make thread after thread talking shit about, nearly every name in the titles isn't a fighter or hasn't fought in years.

UFC does not prohibit earnings or sponsorships of fighters, fighters prohibit their own earnings by being lazy, boring, and entitled to money without working for it.

Izzy made tons of money in the cage and out of it, being the first fighter to earn an endorsement deal from one of the major sports brands with his Puma deal because he worked for it, but now that he lost the division is dead because noone cares about Alex and he doesn't want to fight anyways just like Edwards and every other current champion and top 5 fighter not named Volkanovski or Makhachev. I'll be surprised if that fight even happens. Companies endorse athletes for defining themselves as an athlete that accomplished greatness worthy of endorsement, not whiners that become champion and sit on their asses for years whining about all the money they deserve to get paid while refusing to fight.

I think illegal streaming has ZERO to do with low fighter pay. They could easily pay more right now but would rather have it in their pockets than the fighters. TS is either Dana or one of those weirdo's would log on an MMA forum only to whack off about businessmen and their profits. Bunch of freaks,.

Maybe you could, you know, "promote" your fighters, so people actually gave a fuck about them....

I know it's crazy but imagine if you were a promoter of a fight promotion and you did this wild thing called "promoting the fighter", you may get more people to watch it or be willing to pay for it but alas, you promote the UFC brand and nothing else.

And that's just one of the many things that gets tossed aside for the UFC's greed sir.
You don’t have to tell me. In the last 15 years, I honestly can’t remember one significant occasion that I sidec with Dana White and the UFC brass over a fighter when it comes to money.

I would like to leave this here.

"The boxing match between Jack Dempsey and Gene Tunney in 1927 earned a whopping $1,895,733 according to the info. Dempsey's purse after the fight was $770,000, while Tunney's was $200,000....and Tunney was the champ."

all the geniuses of sherdog fighter pay hard at work typing away on their keyboards while the fighters still get the same pay they did before every bleeding heart started pretending like they gave a shit.

one day the fighters will get better pay, but it ain't coming from this brain trust for sure.

These UFC arguments are as transparent as a glass house. They continually blame average fans and punish fighters and fans alike.

Adhering to an antiquated PPV business model hiding behind numerous paywalls financially punishes the UFC’s biggest fans. Refusing to allow fighters to collectively bargain or to share revenue along percentages similar to other sports and entertainment costs professional fighters millions of dollars.

You never hear about boxers losing money due to illegal streams.

Maybe if U FIGHT CHEAP didn't con their fighters out of sponsor money this wouldn't even be an issue worth bringing up.

Maybe you could, you know, "promote" your fighters, so people actually gave a fuck about them....

I know it's crazy but imagine if you were a promoter of a fight promotion and you did this wild thing called "promoting the fighter", you may get more people to watch it or be willing to pay for it but alas, you promote the UFC brand and nothing else.

Great, you seem to be an expert in fight promotion! Please tell us how UFC is failing to promote these "fighters" that get into main event PPV fights with huge money at stake and dance around each other throwing social distance jabs and crying about not being named champion. Are you a UFC fighter or any fighter? UFC fighters sign a contract to fight for an agreed amount pay. Who are you with such strong knowledge of this injustice?

You are confusing completely different things. Fighters are not entitled to a share of UFC's revenue unless they are doing something that increases UFC revenue beyond what they generate for the fighters.

UFC is one of the most efficient businesses in the world running at an insane nearly 50% EBITDA Margin with both revenue and margin growing year over year. People here brag about never paying anything to UFC, act like they care about fighter pay, and bless their hearts for thinking anyone cares about their opinion when they are not even a customer of the company they hate. Companies focus on providing the best product to their customers not poor, internet haters. UFC's increased pricing for PPV events shows they understand they have a premium customer base with very strong price elasticity since they keep significantly increasing price resulting in improved results, despite all the complaints here about how much they suck. The UFC customer base can and does pay for their product as underwhelming as it may be at times.

On the completely different topic of fighter pay, UFC absolutely begs for fighters to earn more money. Low fighter pay is based on the fighters not the UFC. UFC is constantly begging for fighters to step up and make an effort to be a star, just look at the title of threads on the first page here. Since Izzy lost we are desperate for a star to make thread after thread talking shit about, nearly every name in the titles isn't a fighter or hasn't fought in years.

UFC does not prohibit earnings or sponsorships of fighters, fighters prohibit their own earnings by being lazy, boring, and entitled to money without working for it.

Izzy made tons of money in the cage and out of it, being the first fighter to earn an endorsement deal from one of the major sports brands with his Puma deal because he worked for it, but now that he lost the division is dead because noone cares about Alex and he doesn't want to fight anyways just like Edwards and every other current champion and top 5 fighter not named Volkanovski or Makhachev. I'll be surprised if that fight even happens. Companies endorse athletes for defining themselves as an athlete that accomplished greatness worthy of endorsement, not whiners that become champion and sit on their asses for years whining about all the money they deserve to get paid while refusing to fight.

So the act if fighting itself isn't enough? They're lazy for not acting like Conor? It's funny how this only applies to mma and boxing. Other individual sports it doesn't matter nearly as much. Mickelson made way more than John Daly even though he's cardboard. The revenue split says it all, no matter what excuses are made. That's why backups in other sports who don't promote themselves make more than the vast majority of fighters, it's the revenue split. What percentage of fighters would you say make more a year than MLB league minimum? That's around $570,000 per year and baseball is dying a slow death

Without illegal streaming the cost barrier to entry would be far too high, UFC would never make new fans. It would die without free streams with its current ppv model.

It’s astonishing UFC doesn’t realize this and offer a fight pass+ ~$20 a month package which includes all the fight nights and the “ppv” that month

They’d make $240 a year off a fan, instead of literally 0 like they are now on most of their fans from their PPV sales

People who stream most likely won't pay full price for it.
/thread.

They have to be completely retarded to believe that their current model of quality decreasing/price increasing is going to prevent streaming. I've been saying for years that they're best solution is offering some kind of fan package that includes all the annual PPVs for a discounting rate (25%less for example) or go a step further and have a monthly subscription like WWE that includes all content including PPVs

Back