News Jon Jones vs. Cyril Gane. UFC 285. March, 4th (Jones Confirms in Video)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Wow. I think prime Jones takes Gane down and obliterates him with elbows and whatever he wants... Times have changed however. Gane most likely out strikes any version of Jones and I have confidence he can defend any grappling Jon employs at this point in his career. If this fight happens, props to Jon for taking a very tough assignment with not a lot of name recognition legacy wise imo (that could change however). Bad match up for him however and a very tough challenge coming off a multi year layoff.
This is my assessment as well. People like to remember the old Jones and not the Jones that essential lost to Reyes and a one legged Santos. You telling me Gane wouldn't absolutely kill those two guys? Meanwhile somehow the Gane vs Jones poll is 50/50.

this would be like gsp moving up to fight silva in his prime or khabib going up to fight gsp

JJ has looked good once facing a guy 6'3 or taller. Lay off, dirty bulk to hw vs One of the strikers in the division. Gane should make this look easy

Ohhh yeah.
I favor Gane. Too good on the feet and a natural HW.
Jones has the grappling but we haven't seen much of that in a long while

cyril has poor fight IQ, and it will be on full display vs jones.

The Lewis win is not as impressive as it was. He's becoming a gatekeeper that everyone relevant is expected to beat. When Gane beat him it was a big deal, that was for the title maybe thats part of Ganes hype getting overblown.

Everyone has more power than Jones you're not really proving anything there. There's nothing wrong with winning a 5-0 decision.

He beat
The Lewis win is not as impressive as it was. He's becoming a gatekeeper that everyone relevant is expected to beat. When Gane beat him it was a big deal, that was for the title maybe thats part of Ganes hype getting overblown.

Everyone has more power than Jones you're not really proving anything there. There's nothing wrong with winning a 5-0 decision.

Gane also beat Tai and came pretty close to beating Ngannou. I doubt Jones would have done a better job against those three.

Jon hand-picking an opponent weak at grappling. Get ready for a darce or guillotine finish here, folks.

Jones any day of the week. He is going to neutralize Gane's striking, take him down and dominate him on the ground.

Would I get banned if I made a thread 2 days before the fight titled "Jon Jones pulls out of the fight" I just want to make popcorn and see what kind of shit show would happen on the forums without the thread being removed or moved

At first I was hyped for this matchup but then I remembered Gane got wrestlefucked by Ngannou.

Against a 265+ pound Jon Jones? Gane better go for the quick KO because he ain't lasting 5 rounds.

If it stays standing i would slightly favor Gane. Gane has never fought anyone with Jons aresenal tho. I wonder if Jon will try to engage in the clinch and pressure Gane towards the cage or does he come with a grapple heavy approach? Wouldnt shock me if Jones went with a striking approach as well.

Jones must be ecstatic. This is easily his best HW match up of the contenders he was likely to face for the belt.

Gonna be super interesting

Gane is like a HW Gus, but with heavy power and an overall striking game (not just boxing)

This fight could end up looking like Jones vs Gus 1 or Jones vs Gus II depending on if which Jones we get at HW.

Jones must be ecstatic. This is easily his best HW match up of the contenders he was likely to face for the belt.
I am not sure about that. I always imagined jones blowing out francis bad knee

Gonna be super interesting

Gane is like a HW Gus, but with heavy power and an overall striking game (not just boxing)

This fight could end up looking like Jones vs Gus 1 or Jones vs Gus II depending on if Jones shows up

Gane doesn't have the boxing Gus has, nor does he have the same TDD. What Gus did to Jones in their first fight was punish him in the boxing range. Jones' best moments happened when he could kickbox or get Gus in the clinch.

Gane is an outside fighter who really only goes inside when his opponent is covering up or hurt. He's going to strike at Jones' preferred range. While he may (unclear as of now) be better than Jones at that range, I doubt he's good enough to the point where he can do it for 5 rounds without Jones finding another weakness to exploit.

To me, this fight comes more down to how Jones' strength and speed translate at HW, and how much steam Jones has lost from aging.

Back