Is Neil Melanson legit?

ShotgunSamurai

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've watched other catch wrestling guys techniques and they didn't work well in the gym and it's kind of thrown me off from catch wrestling . I want to get his tactical turtle DVD on BJJ fanatics since it's more of an MMA turtle than a BJJ turtle.

Is he legit?

I think he was the grappling coach for the blackzilions, but have the same question as you

I’ve never seen his speciality moves used at a high level. More YouTube eye catchers than efficient techniques

Yes, very. He was the grappling coach at Xtreme Couture for a while as well

I’ve never seen his speciality moves used at a high level. More YouTube eye catchers than efficient techniques
It’s “Big Guy” stuff. We have an ultra hw who usues Neil’s moves and they fucking hurt

It’s “Big Guy” stuff. We have an ultra hw who usues Neil’s moves and they fucking hurt
Does he use it effectively against other high level big guys? Lots of moves work with a weight and skill discrepancy but I always believed to follow the techniques that have proved to work against people of similar skill and size

I know several fighters out of extreme couture who skipped his sessions and went to drysdale for grappling

Does he use it effectively against other high level big guys? Lots of moves work with a weight and skill discrepancy but I always believed to follow the techniques that have proved to work against people of similar skill and size

I know several fighters out of extreme couture who skipped his sessions and went to drysdale for grappling
Yes, he does.
I have seen him collar drag and rip apart the shoulders of guys built like NFL linemen

funny enough, we train under Drysdale hahaha
I think Drysdale is demonstrably better obviously but I think Neil is “legit”

Yes, he does.
I have seen him collar drag and rip apart the shoulders of guys built like NFL linemen

funny enough, we train under Drysdale hahaha
I think Drysdale is demonstrably better obviously but I think Neil is “legit”
Fair enough

I think Neil is very legit. Especially for any gi players who like playing closed guard, I think he's an excellent resource to show how you can play closed guard without the gi.

His methods aren't the be-all end-all, but I can confidently say a lot of stuff I've seen from him is the first time I'd ever seen what he's showing.

He isn't. A lot of the stuff he shows is trash (low level mma guys in the gym where asking me about it so tried some of it). Dude has zero accomplishments of any kind and by the looks of it relies on being a huge roider in the gym.

I've watched other catch wrestling guys techniques and they didn't work well in the gym and it's kind of thrown me off from catch wrestling . I want to get his tactical turtle DVD on BJJ fanatics since it's more of an MMA turtle than a BJJ turtle.

Is he legit?

He is a student of Karo Parisyan so is legit in that his lineage goes via Gokor and Gene LaBell.

He has no competition credentials though so in that sense he is no more, and no less legit as a catch wrester than Tony Cecchine. They are in the same category.

He is a student of Karo Parisyan so is legit in that his lineage goes via Gokor and Gene LaBell.

He has no competition credentials though so in that sense he is no more, and no less legit as a catch wrester than Tony Cecchine. They are in the same category.

^^ This ^^

It’s like people talk crap about Catch Wrestling and some of the practitioners but a person can absolutely reck an untrained person with neck cranks, double wrist locks and heel hooks that all came from Catch Wrestling.

Last edited:
^^ This ^^

It’s like people talk crap about Catch Wrestling and some of the practitioners but a person can absolutely reck an untrained person with neck cranks, double wrist locks and heel hooks that all came from Catch Wrestling.

Heel hooks were in Pankration in Ancient Greece.

Nektarios Lykiardopoulos’ book “The Martial Arts of Ancient Greece: Modern Fighting Techniques from the Age of Alexander” shows a heelhook being applied in an ancient Roman stone carving that can be found in the Vatican, although it’s exact age is uncertain. This could be as a result of the ancient art of Pankration which, despite being Greek in origin, was enjoyed by the Romans in equal measure after their invasions of Greece as far back as 146 BC.

1459934107_0000-referee-watches-greek-wrestlers-in-ancient-olympic-games.jpg

from what ive always heard he came up in hayastan and was always legit, he could never compete because of an immune system illness where he could go blind or something if he was stressed too much

Is he legit?

What other catch guys?

I have had a great deal of interacting with Catch going back to the late 90’s and early 00’s. You would have to pick and choose as to what your opponent gives you. Plus, the rules are different. You just need to pick and choose.

Also Neil is legit. He use to wreck people when he was at Xtreme Couture. Good grappling instructor.

Is he legit?

Super legit. His triangle stuff is amazing. He was ahead of the curve on a lot of things, including K-guard.

Or plenty of highly trained people.

I remember when I started getting into sub grappling, ~ 2011 there were still a few old Brazilian guys around who referred to the kimura as a "strong man move" that shouldn't be relied upon in training. At Hayastan it was just a normal move, and Gene had countless variations on it.

Then in the following years, kimura trap exploded in popularity and all of a sudden double wrist locks are legit moves to most grapplers.

Even at the lighter weight classes.

Funny how that works.

I remember when I started getting into sub grappling, ~ 2011 there were still a few old Brazilian guys around who referred to the kimura as a "strong man move" that shouldn't be relied upon in training. At Hayastan it was just a normal move, and Gene had countless variations on it.

Then in the following years, kimura trap exploded in popularity and all of a sudden double wrist locks are legit moves to most grapplers.

Even at the lighter weight classes.

Funny how that works.
Isn't marcelo in the category of guys who called the kimura a strong-man move?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaybeHawk
Back