Islam runs 5k in 18:30mins

I mean, I can find random local women's races won by crossfit MMA moms in their late 30s with the same time as Islamd lmaooo
https://www.capegazette.com/article/cross-trainer-mma-fighter-wins-striders-womens-5k/49871

18-20 min 5ks are still within the normal amateur realm.
It's when you start shaving full minutes off to 17 and below that you get into actual competition level metrics, and the 14s range for serious mens pro results; lightyears ahead of where Islam was.
It's within amateur range because he isn't a competive runner lol. With a baseline of 1830 if he to focus on just running he could definitely shave at least a minute off of that.

For a guy who isn't training to run fast mid distance races, he's pretty naturally fast.

Proof Islam sucks:

Dude can't even outlift this soccer mom with his weak ass 240lb bench and the baby kettlebell squats you see him do in the gym. As a professional athlete whose game is centered around out-muscling his opponents, he should absolutely be ashamed of himself. This chick would flat-line him with a month of padwork drills. I benched 240 for reps in HS (just thought I'd throw that in there even though it's not relevant).

Let's not even start with how much slower he is than some of the fastest guys in the NFL. Those guys only do like 10 seconds of running at a time and they'll smoke him.

Bet the house on Volk. Sherdog knows best.

Lol at this thread. Most of you talking shit can barely get on a treadmill without breaking it. It's impossible to pass judgement without more context but I'm sure Makhachev's cardio is fine.

In general, that's a very good time for someone not training specifically for running. Not surprisingly, if you're actually a competitive runner then it's pretty terrible.

Correct, but running 18:30 when your entire life is cardio athletics is a bit easier than for the 99% of the world that aren't full time athletes.
His entire life isn't "cardio athletics". Wrestling is an anaerobic sport.

Who the hell thought wrestlers and cross country runners have anywhere close to the same build?

Ridiculous on so many levels.

A) No it's not. I don't know why you think it is, or why you're so set in high school and B) the high schooler specifically trains that.

So she was the winner. That's the fastest time, not the average time. "She trains 35 miles a week."

She's even a cage fighter and specifically says “But it’s not cage fighting, the idea is to get a workout," and you just... missed the meaning of that?

3eEV8v2.png
damn, I'd be elite if I was 85yrs old

It's within amateur range because he isn't a competive runner lol. With a baseline of 1830 if he to focus on just running he could definitely shave at least a minute off of that.

For a guy who isn't training to run fast mid distance races, he's pretty naturally fast.
Correct, it's within an amateur range, not some god tier Bo Jackson feat worth a thread.

In his pre fight press conference he said so. Anyone who races knows that is really fucking fast

This is basically what the upper echelon runners would do when I was in the Army. Iirc I would usually do them in around 22-23 minutes.

I ran 18:53 my sophomore year of HS, it’s not THAT fast. Top highschool kids run at least sub 16 minutes.

It’s a decent pace for a non runner though.

U talking about 60kg runners. Not a 80 kgs muscular guy. Is a very good time with his frame.

No they can't. For anyone with a good amount of muscle mass and not trainings specifically for running, 18:30 is an excellent time for a 5K. It's obvious from some of the comments here that some people have never run a 5K in their life.
This.

Islam is pretty jacked and isn't primarily a runner. He's a MMA fighter who needs to have a variety of physical attributes, not just cardio/speed.
His time is excellent.

Cardio for combat sports and medium distance running for speed are incredibly different. I got way slower when I started focusing on bjj despite still running a lot. The cardio is good but it doesn't help speed.

I was a cross and track coach and a competitor. The only kids that routinely hit those numbers were the ones who consistently placed at districts and states (excluding schools that are college feeders or use college coaches regularly). Only my seniors were hitting close to or under 18s. 1830 is a good time for non competitive runners
The fact that you have to explain this is one of the many things I hate about the internet lol.

if everyone had to share a picture as well as a few athletic accomplishments in order to post, this thread would have like 3 replies.

lol no it isn't, especially on flat ground.
There are highschool girls who can break 17 min.
Yeah but a skilled runner could not double leg a pillow

running bodies are literally the worst for fighting

so if you take into account his muscle mass and other skills and wear and tear that’s almost a sub 6 min mile x 3

pretty fucking fast considering he is the best in the world at a completely different sport

The kid sitting on Islam's lap in the infamous tub photo ran a sub-16 5K.

DxVMKEBW0AE4Rs2.jpg

IIRC the average sherdogger is 6'5, 8% body fat, BJJ black belt, can bench press 405 lbs, run a mile in 4 minutes 30
So it is not impressive by Sherdog standards, but to the average citizen its quite impressive

Median bench here was 5 plates last time I checked.

In his pre fight press conference he said so. Anyone who races knows that is really fucking fast
A kilometer is a little more than half a mile. So 5km around 2.7 miles in 18 minutes.

That's pretty standard for your combat arms military people and not impressive when compared to serious runners.

Correct, it's within an amateur range, not some god tier Bo Jackson feat worth a thread.
Well it's a good thing he's not a pro field goal kicker either, with you constantly moving the posts

A kilometer is a little more than half a mile. So 5km around 2.7 miles in 18 minutes.

That's pretty standard for your combat arms military people and not impressive when compared to serious runners.
Over 3.1 miles even

Last edited:
Well it's a good thing he's not a pro field goal kicker either, with you constantly moving the posts
The OP was "In his pre fight press conference he said so. Anyone who races knows that is really fucking fast"
So I referenced the times and performances of both pro and amateur 5k racers, all of which are way ahead of this time. "Really fucking fast" is multiple minutes lower than this. Tell me what I got wrong about that lol. It's a great time for anyone who doesn't run, and in the "polite applause" range for lightweight elite athletes showing he has good aerobic abilities and likely runs frequently in training.

Back