What happened to Valentina?

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Is she really old now and past her prime or she just had an off night ?

Because ain't no fucking way in hell that the same Valentina who took Holm, Joanna and Nunes to school at stand-up is going to be losing against these caliber of fighters now

Grasso ain't that good, something was wrong with Valentina

What do you guys think?

Tape

She has hours and hours of tape on her

Her opponents have studied her every move and now have figured out how to exploit her weaknesses

Both Santos and Grasso found weaknesses in her style and created a game plan around those weaknesses

——

Grasso knew to be ready for the crucifix. Grasso knew to be ready for the spin. Grasso knew southpaw would limit her kicks. Grasso was ready to defend against her clinch takedowns

The only thing that Valentina did that was effective against Grasso was shoot double legs but that was because Valentina has never done that in any of other fights so Grasso wasn’t ready for it.

Valentina needs to change her whole game because all the girls are ready for everything she does

Last edited:
Alexa bless.
YXNzb28uanBn

When asked in a thread last month what Grasso's path to victory was, I respond with "Valentina will have to make a huge mistake, and grasso will have to capitalize on it perfectly.”

and that's exactly what happened. Valentina pulled a chris weidman and threw a spinning kick from too close that cost her the fight.

Last edited:
she got complacent. spinning shit doesn't work well in title fights

When asked in a thread last month what Grasso's path to victory was, I respond with "Valentina will have to make a huge mistake, and grasso will have to capitalize on it perfectly.

and that's exactly what happened. Valentina pulled a chris weidman and threw a spinning kick from too close that cost her the fight.

Maaaan
I remember that

You were so right

She turns 35 tomorrow, I think age is a factor. In the men's divisions, there has never been a 35+ year-old in the LW or under weight classes who has won a title fight, and I believe it's also the case in the female weight classes. At those lighter weights, as soon as the speed start to decline slightly (which happens to everyone in mid-30's), it makes a huge impact and things can start to go downhill fast.

She's also a true lifetime martial artist who has been competing in martial arts for literally 30 years. She probably had well over 100 Muay Thai/kickboxing fights before her long UFC career. Her body just isn't responding the same it way it did in her prime, and there seems to be some mental fatigue there as well. She still has the skills to beat someone like Grasso, but she's making errors that she never used to make.

I think both of you are right....she's getting older and constantly tacking on the training/fight miles, and as the top dog I'd guess most serious contenders have seen more Valentina fight footage than Valentina herself.

I think the other part that's always at play with dominant champions is apathy/boredom/whatever you want to call it. "OMG WHY DID JONES STRUGGLE WITH REYES AND OSP AND SANTOS WHEN HE SMASHED GANE?" I think boredom or lack of stimulation is inevitable when you are perpetually just better than everyone. I bet you can find examples of this with every long-standing UFC champion, from Anderson to GSP to Nunes to Aldo (though prior to Conor he really didn't look beatable).

I like Valentina, so I'm pretty pumped to see if she's truly on the path of being shot....or if she'd just got complacent.

She didn't take any of those chicks to school in stand up. Amanda Nunes, she went back and forth with. Joanna was starting to get the better of Valentina at striking if you rewatch the fight but Valentina just went back to her wrestling. The holm fight I don't really remember, but I can recall Valentina using her wrestling in that fight too

Ah yes, it isn't that Alexa is a good fighter it's that something was off.

Don't get me wrong Alexa is good and she is tough and has heart

But if you look who Valentina's resume. Something ain't right. She has fought the very very best and beat them so either her time is up and it was a really off night

If you put Grasso against Nunes and Holm she would get ktfo

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong Alexa is good and she is tough and has heart

But if you look who Valentina's resume. Something ain't right. She has fought the very very beat and beat them so either her time is up and it was a really off night

If you put Grasso against Nunes and Holm she would get ktfo
Obviously, she fought at 115 lbs AND NOT 135! Almost like that's why we have weight classes to begin with.
200w.gif

What do you guys think? Is she really old now and past her prime or she just had an off night ?

Because ain't no fucking way in hell that the same Valentina who took Holm, Joanna and Nunes to school at stand-up is going to be losing against these caliber of fighters now

Grasso ain't that good, something was wrong with Valentina

What do you guys think?
Why do you feel the need to shit on Grasso? Since moving up she's won five in a row now

Ah yes, it isn't that Alexa is a good fighter it's that something was off.
Alexas hands looked clean and that back take was clean as hell. I also think Valentina has looked a little worse for about a year. I'd say it's both.

Back