Will none elevation Edwards be a game changer ?

Darkgsp

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Leon Edwards in his second fight with Usman mentioned that the elevation of fighting in salt lake city made a huge difference in the fight. I would agree ,many other fighters such Bisping mention it makes such a big difference to the cardio and the fighter gassing out earlier than normal, Leon was not adjusted to the climate properly i believe but this is not to say he will win.

Whats your guys thoughts will none elevation Edwards become a sort of a " sea level Cain" type of situation or was Usman always just the better guy in the fight, with Leon just having a good first round and the head kick being his hail mary ?
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is a really exciting matchup. I expect Usman to try and inflict more damage onto Leon and even perhaps try and get a stoppage to prevent a hail mary. Leon will be better and im certain he has work diligently on his tdd and other aspects of wrestling but the gap between the two in that area is large. I'm very excited for this fight but am not looking forward to it being on so early here in North America.
<Durant35>

Hometown advantage is gonna be huge. Usman will be shocked at the response he receives from the British crowd, especially as he's expecting support from Nigerians there.

Won't Marty also have better cardio? Not that I want him to but, yeah just asking.
He will likely have better cardio Usman but we can't discount the physological effects of the head kick and what it will do when it comes fight night. He could come out swinging big trying to get revenge for the head kick and end up fighting badly just for that but tbh Usman usually is discplined so i have no idea what im talking about lol

Won't Marty also have better cardio? Not that I want him to but, yeah just asking.
Pretty sure Marty trains at similar elevation to Salt Lake City, so it wouldn't have made much of a difference on his gas tank.

Hometown advantage is gonna be huge. Usman will be shocked at the response he receives from the British crowd, especially as he's expecting support from Nigerians there.
To be honest, there is a massive Nigerian population here, and most of my friends who are Nigerian were supporting Usman in the second fight, and still are.

How can you be so sure though ? so many factors very excited so find out
I just use my logic brada. Usman has always train in altitude so he wasn't affected in their 2nd fight. Leon before he got affected by the altitude was outwrestling and dominating Usman.

I think in this fight Leon would perform like he did in the first round for the entire 25 minutes. Not to mention Usman has been plagued by injuries, and also older and just got headkick koed. Leon would beat Marty whichever way he wants in this fight, mark my words.

I just use my logic brada. Usman has always train in altitude so he wasn't affected in their 2nd fight. Leon before he got affected by the altitude was outwrestling and dominating Usman.

I think in this fight Leon would perform like he did in the first round for the entire 25 minutes. Not to mention Usman has been plagued by injuries, and also older and just got headkick koed. Leon would beat Marty whichever way he wants in this fight, mark my words.
I can agree on some of your points Usman has messed up knees allegedly and Leon has many adavantages going into the fight such home town support the confidence boost from the KO and of course not being at elevation so his has tank will be good.

Not really. Marty trained out in Colorado so he had the advantage going into the fight. It's the event where everyone gassed.

If Leon can go all night at sea level then usman can go all week. Man's a machine.

To be honest, there is a massive Nigerian population here, and most of my friends who are Nigerian were supporting Usman in the second fight, and still are.
Nigerians make up less than 0.1% of the UK population. What percentage do you expect to see in the arena? I'd guess 1% maximum, which will definitely be drown out by the coked up football hooligan type boyos.

Nigerians make up less than 0.1% of the UK population. What percentage do you expect to see in the arena? I'd guess 1% maximum, which will definitely be drown out by the coked up football hooligan type boyos.
The crowd will be drunk of stuff like Stella chanting " Rocky" It's Leons night for crowd support all night long even in a loss probably.

There are almost a million Jamaicans in the UK. I don't think many watch the UFC though. Leon got booed in London before. It might be different now that he is the champion.

There are almost a million Jamaicans in the UK. I don't think many watch the UFC though. Leon got booed in London before. It might be different now that he is the champion.
Will definitely be different now he's champ, fight fans are notoriously fickle and go with the flavour of the month. The Gunnar nelson fight was also at a time when just being associated with Conor made you half way popular.

Yes. There is a lot of information out there about the benefits someone who trains at altitude will have when competing at sea level

I don't see the cardio as the difference maker for Leon's favor. Usman can obviously push a higher pace and it doesn't matter where they are, that won't change

Leon needs to be more active if he wants to not have to rely by winning by finish. He needs to be the aggressor to win at least 3 rounds in the event it goes the distance He needs to stay away from the cage at all costs. Marty will be looking to hold him against the cage as long as he needs to, I imagine

Back