How is Jones going to beat Stipe?

Melas Chasma

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The vast majority here seem to think Stipe is an easy fight for Jones, but how exactly you believe Jones is going to beat him?

A: Tko/KO? Everything is possible since its an MMA fight, but lets just say this is unlikely if Stipe has any durability left.

B: Submission? You mean he will do the same to Stipe he did to Gane? Again, I see no reason to think this should be considered likely.

C: Decision? Sure, Jones has a decent to good chance to outstruck Stipe with his wet noodle low kicks and punches, IF he still has a decent cardio as a HW. Stipe is old, but he probably still has a relatively good cardio for a HW. Yet, Stipe may be too slow and one dimensional as a striker to outstruck even this wayyy out of prime version of Jones.

Jones's best chance is to hope Stipe has declined significantly during these past couple years, because the Stipe from the Ngannou 2 fight (that looked relatively sharp, fast and light on his feet for his standards) would, imo, be a clear favorite against this current slow, old and fat clumsy looking Jones.

Summary: People are blinded by the Jones vs Gane and Stipe vs Ngannou 2 fights and fail to understand Jones is farther away from his prime (ended around 2017-2018) than Stipe.

Last edited:
By whatever method he likes. Jon Jones vs Stipe would be like a lion mauling a cat. (No disrespect to Stipe, hes a great fighter but Jones is on another level)

Jones would viciously tear his limbs off, like a hungry lion eating a helpless prey.
maxresdefault.jpg

Look at how much success DC had striking with Stipe. He knocked out a prime Stipe.

Jones is too crafty on the feet for someone like Stipe. Especially a washed Stipe.

I predict a lopsided decision win for Jon. He picks him apart from range.

Stipe just doesn't have the frightening reach, power or durability of Pavlovich. That's the stopping power needed to put Jon away.

Last edited:
Writing Stipe off in a fight against Jones borders with casualness for me. It's funny how many people were proclaiming Miocic dead before he faced Ngannou the first time and that didn't happen. Then Stipe was also proclaimed done and shot, after DC finished him - but afterwards Stipe smashed DC two times in a row.

Miocic won't be taken down and submitted in 2 minutes like Gane. He is a hard hitting proper HW and the only one to eat clean punches from Ngannou and take the win, so Jones finishing him is not very likely. Could Jones win a decision? Possibly, but his last couple of fights against mediocre LHWs were a shitshow and Jones arguably lost one or both of them.

Stipe wins 49:46.

He'll make him look pedestrian on his feet due to his wider arsenal of striking attacks, better athleticism and fight IQ. Also if Stipe wants to wrestle then he'll get all he can handle there from the man who outwrestled olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier.

Last edited:
I got Stipe as long as Jones at HW isn't too fast for him.

I think Jones thinks Stipe is an easy fight, a winnable one. Same with Gane. Ngannou not so much.

But the fact of matter is that Jones hasnt looked good for years before being gone for years. I don't see anything that would make me believe hes back in his prime.

Prime for prime, pound for pound, Jones is a much better fighter. But Jones isn't any longer. And this isnt a fantasy land, this is at heavyweight. And No one can beat time and inactivity. GSP came back yes, but he didnt show decline like Jones did before stepping away.

Stipe may be past his prime too, but personally I haven't seen him decline that much.

I got Stipe by (t)ko but if and only if Jones isnt too fast for him at this stage.

Look at how much success DC had striking with Stipe. He knocked out a prime Stipe.

Jones is too crafty on the feet for someone like Stipe. Especially a washed Stipe.

I predict a lopsided decision win for Jon. He picks him apart from range.

Stipe just doesn't have the frightening reach, power or durability of Pavlovich. That's the stopping power needed to put Jon away.

Cormier was so much different striker with a lot faster hands than Jones, that I don't see the comparison very relevant. But I agree in a sense that Stipe has always been a punching bag so I don't doubt Jones can repeatedly hit him clean. But who will be more tired if it goes past the second and third rounds? We know nothing about fat Jones's cardio at HW.

The vast majority here seem to think Stipe is an easy fight for Jones, but how exactly you believe Jones is going to beat him?

A: Tko/KO? Everything is possible since its an MMA fight, but lets just say this is unlikely if Stipe has any durability left.

B: Submission? You mean he will do the same to Stipe he did to Gane? Again, I see no reason to think this should be considered likely.

C: Decision? Sure, Jones has a decent to good chance to outstruck Stipe with his wet noodle low kicks and punches, IF he still has a decent cardio as a HW. Stipe is old, but he probably still has a relatively good cardio for a HW. Yet, Stipe may be too slow and one dimensional as a striker to outstruck even this wayyy out of prime version of Jones.

Jones's best chance is to hope Stipe has declined significantly during these past couple years, because the Stipe from the Ngannou 2 fight (that looked relatively sharp, fast and light on his feet for his standards) would, imo, be a clear favorite against this current slow, old and fat clumsy looking Jones.

Summary: People are blinded by the Jones vs Gane and Stipe vs Ngannou 2 fights and fail to understand Jones is farther away from his prime (ended 2017) than Stipe.
slow, fat, old, clumsy Jones..

That you seen on the feet for all of 30 seconds.. lol

The grudge you hold against this man is insane

You just can't let it go, even when you try to be reasonable..

Gus lost bro.

People just have low expectations after Gane shit the bed,and Stipe hasnt been seen for like 2 fuckin yrs.

Skill wise Stipe could definitley win here,but what is even left of him? We dont know.

Jon is gonna kick him from the outside, and take him down when Stipe closes the distance.

The grudge you hold against this man is insane

You just can't let it go, even when you try to be reasonable..

Gus lost bro.

I was actually rooting for Jones first time against Gane (I don't care if you believe it or not), because I tend to root fighters I see as an underdogs. The older and more out of prime Jones gets, the more I root for him. It has happened to me with a lot of other fighters as well that I have disliked, once they have gotten old. I might root Jones against Stipe too, but currently I see it as a close fight. A lot of it depends how much Stipe has declined the past 2 years, and none of us can really know that, so its a big question mark.

He did look old, and clumsy on the feet against Gane, imo, just like I was expecting, and that's why I was rooting for him, because I was worried of him being in serious trouble on the feet once Gane gets comfortable, and I would still feel the same if they fought a second time. He's been out of his prime for a long time, and I genuinely don't understand his fans that don't see it just because he escaped some close decisions in his final fights at LHW. Those fights weren't "Jones just taking it easy", he is just not the same fighter anymore he once was.

Probably just pick away from range for a decision or maybe hope to land a big kick plus of course we don't know what Stipe's chin will be like over 2 years after a KO loss aged 40.

Back