UFC's purchase of Pride was a joke

They bought it at a discount to kill it. Companies do this all the time, buy competitors, acquire their assets (in this case the fighters), and then kill the brand.
This + to remove sakakariba from the market for 10 years

Also pride was dying because some mobster got screwed+fuji tv screwed them

We were talking about this subject not long ago.

My friend said it was all about consolidation of power.

They bought it at a discount to kill it. Companies do this all the time, buy competitors, acquire their assets (in this case the fighters), and then kill the brand.
This, imo.

Just like WWE did to WCW and a ton of territories before them, and countless corps have done to others. For some the best way to compete with competition is to buy em out, strip em for parts, and shut em down.

Last edited:
i remember cracking up when they were busy having the nerve to tell people that pride wasn't getting dismantled, it was going to stay the same as it was. didn't believe that for a second even then.
that was some bullshit, i wanted to believe.

but knew better.

Rizin sucks PRIDE DREAM never died only Aoki’s dreams got crushed in SF

bring back the WAMMA belt

Had pride adopted Yamma rules and their cage the fighting landscape might be different.

Evolve or die.

Pride was on a steep decline. Most the Pride fighters crossed over to UFC. Idk what else people expected? They got Anderson Silva for it, probably that alone made the purchase worth it.

No, AS came from Cage Rage.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fe2d773a8-c59a-4412-bb2c-99d9ebcb2733_475x358.jpeg

The UFC has bought the rights to all kinds of promotions to kill them. Is normal.

What was a joke? Pride being affiliated with the yakuza was... not good, selling to the UFC made sense. We got some legendary fights out of it, but I think more could have been done to retain the talent that did not over to the UFC.

I think that the lesson here is to work with the Yakuza.

Even if you are the Fertita Mafia.
The Frittata brothers certainly were outmaneuvered here, which is surprising, since they are pretty slick, and come from a family of slick people. There were several elements, like the t.v. contract, which was influenced by certain people, if I remember correctly, and thus a scandal erupted that jinxed the deal. My memory is fuzzy, but they pulled the wool over Zuffa's eyes. Then, there were the non-transferrable contracts, etc. I was stoked when we finally got some fighters over, but the deal fell apart. I think most of us were hoping that Pride would continue to operate, which they said they would do.

I guess they paid tons of money for a Library and was able to bring a few fighters .. other than that it was a huge scam

Pride was dead after the Yakuza links got exposed and they got kicked off TV in Japan.

The UFC paid very little money for the library and the right to get a lot of Pride fighters under contract.

It was a net positive for them.

When will UFC purchase Eagle FC?

The video library of Kevin Lee vs Diego Sanchez alone will keep UFC green for years.

I remember reading a while back Dana can't go to Japan cause of the Yakuza

But I cant find anything about it
Then why even say anything? If you believe this you are dumb as shit

Reactions: HHJ
People saying the UFC bought Pride to kill it, nah. Pride was on the brink of death. UFC buying wasn't going to kill it. It already did that job itself.

The UFC in fact tried to hold up the org, with a tournament planned with Diego Sanchez, Matt Hughes, etc. but the org firmly died before that event happened.

wsi-imageoptim-Pride2007GP2.jpg

They did acquire fighters and the vast Pride library. I think overall, it was a positive for the UFC.

A lot of questionz were answered in teh cage when the integration happened. That's not to be underestimated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Baker
Back